Helping Xaviien update the wiki

Xaviien

Question

A thread for me to clarify details before/during updating the wiki so I understand things better, and don't mess things up.

https://wiki.step-project.com/index.php?title=Enhanced_Blood_Textures&action=formedit#tab=Recommendations the following code is left in the "Short Note" section. Seems to serve no purpose.

|short=Install the ''Enhanced Blood Textures 3_5d'' main file and the relevant DLC Compatibility Patch, ''1024 Res Textures'', and ''Blurry Screen Blood'' optional file. If you are planning to install the STEP:Extended Patch then skip the DLC Patch. It's included in the Extended Patch.
}}
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://wiki.step-project.com/index.php?title=Deadly_Spell_Impacts&action=formedit#tab=Recommendations Needs to be updated to new FOMOD template.

Replace:

{{FOMOD Install|
====Options====
:'''Options'''
::*Custom
====Custom====
:'''Fire Spell Dependent Feature'''
::*One Fire Impact (Default)
====One====
:'''Fire'''
::*Default
:'''Frost'''
::*Alternative 1
:'''Lightning'''
::*Default
}}
with:

{{FOMOD Instructions
|file=Deadly Spell Impacts
|{{FomodPage
|Options
|{{Fieldset
|Options
||Custom}}
|button=yes
|buttonText=Next}} {{FomodPage
|Custom
|{{Fieldset
|Fire Spell Dependent Feature
||One Fire Impact (Default)}}
|button=yes
|buttonText=Next}} {{FomodPage
|One
|{{Fieldset
|Fire
||Default}}@{{Fieldset
|Frost
||Alternative 1}}@{{Fieldset
|Lightning
||Default}}
|button=yes
|buttonText=Next}} }}
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://wiki.step-project.com/index.php?title=Bashed_Patch&action=formedit#tab=Recommendations is missing links to some of the Core mods that require LOOT rules to be loaded.

I can cross reference this page against the 2.2.9 Core guide to find which ones are missing, but I think there could be a better way to do this.

• One page with all the Core Loot rules listed. This would allow a user to get to the end of the guide, open up ONE page full of all the Core LOOT rules, have that sit side by side with LOOT and double check/add all the rules at once.
  • Ideally have this page automatically update based on which pages use the template. This would require a new "Core LOOT Rules" template, or something similar, and I have no idea how feasible this would be. I don't wiki quite as much as DoubleYou et al, but I'm pretty sure there would be a way to tag data (ie a template), and be able to drag all the tagged data onto one page, kind of like a reverse template I guess.
The reason for this is that some of the LOOT rules are on the page of the FIRST mod to be installed out of a conflicting pair, but the rule can not be loaded until after installing the SECOND mod in the pair. This means either rules will be missed, or one would need to make a list of LOOT rules while installing the mods, and come back to that list later. Making a list myself seems to defeat the purpose of having a guide...

Edited by Xaviien

10 answers to this question

As I said on the adjacent thread: I vastly prefer the look and maintenance of the former over the latter and would suggest changing everything to use the FOMOD Install template rather than the FOMOD Instructions template. once exception may be for very complex, nested FOMODs ... but it would be great if we could reduce the whitespace in the HTML code by trimming padding/margins a bit in the latter template ;)

From the aMidianBorn Book of Silence (by CaBaL) thread:

Whew. I learned a lot while trying to figure out this install.

(3) If you're using Complete Crafting Overhaul, there's an extra LOOT meta instruction, for the load order of Book of Silence Content Addon ESP in relation to the Complete Crafting Overhaul ESP. This is mentioned in the STEP Complete Crafting Overhaul page but not on the Book of Silence page. I guess this probably doesn't matter, but if you're working slowly down through STEP like I am then it could be easy to overlook / forget / lose track of that earlier instruction by the time you get to Book of Silence and can actually implement it.

Hope I got all that right!

This is what I mentioned at the end of the OP in this thread, and I'm partway through correcting it now.

The Bashed Patch page has a list of LOOT rules that need to be added before creating a Based Patch. The list was missing links to some of the mods that include LOOT rules, but also aMIdianBorn Book of Silence is in the list, but the mod page doesn't actually have a LOOT rule!

1. Should the LOOT rule be on both pages in a pair? For example Complete Crafting Overhaul and aMidianBorn Book of Silence for the Content addon rule, or should it only be included on the page for the second mod, when the rule can actually be added?
  2. If the rules should be on both pages, which I assume is correct, should the Bashed Patch page only link to one of the pair, or both?

I was almost finished formatting the updated list in my sandbox when I realised there may be method to the madness, but then noticed that aMidianBorn/CCO were both on there, and EBQO is not in the list, as well as aMidianBorn not having its LOOT rules listed.

After looking into these issues, I realised I have missed at least one LOOT rule while setting up STEP. :dry:

Not sure how much of an issue it is, but I decided to delete my saves to be safe, and before I play I'll be repatching etc. (The rule I missed was Complete Crafting Overhaul_Remade.esp Load after: aMidianBorn_ContentAddon.esp funnily enough, which was the one that first started me down this track, so I'll admit this was my fault, but I'd be VERY surprised if I haven't missed more.)

Is anyone aware of LOOT rules that have not been added to mod pages? This page should list all pages using the LOOT Rule template. Are there any missing? I know it's a pain to check, but I have no idea how/where else to find out which mods need LOOT rules.

One last thing, in my Sandbox (please excuse the mess if you look) I have updated the list of all mods that do/should have LOOT Rules that I know of, but I'm not sure on the best way to format it. Should it be noted which mods are only for extended to save people 4 page loads, or not bother? If so, should the (Extended) label be inline as in the first example, or should they be listed on their own, as in the second example?

Sorry for the long rant, it is now almost 6am and I just hope I can get a little guidance so I can clear this up, and then only need to update when new LOOT rules are added/removed.

Thank you for your time.

1. both

2. last one (or the first if it is more intuitive)

You did corectly by using the "what links here" speacial link, but you should also be able to find references to all pages with loot rules using a search term for the template text to prove to yourself that this is complete:

{{Loot Rule|

This all assumes that we have correctly added all pertinent loot rules already, which may need to be verified if any rules were missed or if LOOT updated their rules in the interim of our adding them.

I edited your user page with a note.

Also, I am not sure why we are not using the LOOT rule template on the BP page. Maybe I am missing something about limitations of the template though ... but I would use it if possible, so that all references to LOOT rules are visually distinctive and consistent (and they would also all point to the loot instructions).

Thanks very much guys!

I checked the history of aMidianBorn Book of Silence, and it appears the LOOT rules were removed due to an update to the masterlist. Thanks for pointing that out SRB.

There is a rule missing about loading the content addon after CCO though, so I'll add that in so it's on both pages, and double check that all the other LOOT rules that are listed on any page, are on both pages of the pairs.

I'm pretty sure I pushed the AMB/CCO rule in my last commit, I'll have to check it again, they may not take everything I push. I did like 10 rules. I only see the need for one custom rule in all of STEP, AOS behind ADS. That is a STEP preference. My goal is to get the rest in the masterlist because they are necessary.

I don't suppose you have a list of the rules you've added to the masterlist so I can check to make sure they've all been pushed through?

If they've been added to the masterlist, would that mean LOOT should already have the meta rules already listed? And would that apply automatically to existing installs when LOOT updates the masterlist? Or does LOOT itself need to be updated?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks so much for helping me understand all this. It's going to take me years to read all the threads I need to so I can catch up.

The masterlist updates separately. It should list everything in the metadata for the mod when you try to edit it or you can open up the masterlist in  .../Appdata/Local/LOOT/Skyrim with Notepad++ or something that reads .yaml. Don't change your masterlist file. The userlist.yaml is your added metadata.

Actually now that I check, some of those changes are not added yet.

OK, the bashed patch page is updated. Turns out the best pages to link were all Core mods, so no need to label Core/Extended.

I also added the LOOT rule for AMB/CCO to the AMB page until the masterlist updated.

Hopefully the rest of SRB's updates get added to the masterlist soon so we don't need to add the LOOT rules back in.

Thanks for all the help with this one guys.