Help a brother out!

HypestHypeBoo

Question

I played the legendary edition a bit and i decided it was a shame to play such a game when so much amazing mods are available! So at first i took modding for granted and just used NMM and i installed them without giving a care, always overwriting everything when prompt, not caring about load order (just used loot tool and didn't take a second to look at the load order) etc. And on top of that i had nearly 200 mods installed and amazingly the game was running till one point it started getting amazingly buggy and crashy...

When i tried to find fixes for the bugs and crashes i ran into a lot of information pointing out to me "Wow you stupid fool how on earth you thought that would work!?". So i deleted the whole game, re installed it and started modding again. I watched gophers beginners modding guide on youtube and everything it covered i got installed and it all worked nicely but.... But I am a greedy dude and i want WANT WANT a lot of mods out there. I did continue modding further on doing my best to always take care of the load order and cleaning with TES5Edit.

Unfortunately i have failed yet again when i hit nearly 200 mods and yet again i wanted a fresh start and found this forum. I re installed the game yet again and for now i have only installed the unofficial patches and the High Q 3D map. I got all the tools needed (Wyre bash, TES5Edit, BOSS, LOOT, Skyrim Performance monitor, MO) and i got SKSE. I have limited time for now and i will continue modding afterwards when i find the free time. Till then i will learn more about stuff from this forum and i am planning on following the step 2.2.9 guide but i have a lot of questions.

For starters do i have to install all the mods that are listed there? I have a list of mods i want for my next playthrough and some i believe are conflicting with some of those and some the mods i just don't want. Is ENBoost really really needed and what if i want a mod that doesn't go with it? What is exactly this https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/11/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D11&pUp=1 ? Is it a mod like the reproccer but does another thing or similiar? When does it come into the modding timeline?

Also i would like to get permission from people to post here a list of mods i am planning on installing and if anyone who has got the time and willingness to just take a look at the list and say "hey bro these 2 mods are packed in that one" or "pick one of these mods since they conflict" or "you need this XX mod in order for this to work" etc. 

Sorry if i have wasted anyone's time with this and i hope i will get permission to post the mod list.

Cheers!

4 answers to this question

https://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:2.2.9

or

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited_-_Legendary_Edition

For STEP no the only ones needed are the ones with the green bars next to their names. Then you need the STEP Core Patch or if you install all of them the STEP Extended Patch. Skyrim Revisited might have some of the other mods you're looking at as well as the compatibility patches for it.

Ok, so i use both guides but first start off with the STEP: 2.2.9 guide and then when i finish with that one i go to the second link you posted or i have to pick from one of the guides? Also in case i do not want one of the mods that have the green bar will the step core patch work or the mods with the green bar are imperative to be installed? Also i want to install SkyRe and Complete character overhaul. By what i have read about STEP and SkyRe and CCO i believe it should work together so should i install them, and other mods out of the guide, after i finish the step project?

Sorry for having so much questions, i just want to get this right. Sorry for the trouble and thanks for the help! ^^

Read, read, read seems to be the best advice you need at the moment.  I have installed STEP many times int he past and yeah, I start screwing up by not paying attention and keep adding things left and right.  Now, I am doing much better.  As I install a mod from STEP, I read the mod's description form the Nexus.  i pay attention to what mods might complement it later, or changes I may need to pay attention to for when I start using any of these packs.

I have managed to get STEP Extended, Explorer's Guide, Immersive Survival and Weather and Lighting installed, hitting the mod limit and have a VERY stable experience.  Don't get me wrong, I am very much as greedy as you probably.  But I am forcing myself to stop and pay attention to what I am doing.  For instance, I have stopped adding mods, but I have a spreadsheet and notepad open with notes I am keeping.  Things like what esps might be mergable to free up more slots, what mods will actually conflict with others, (I've had to let go a couple must-have mods because of this), etc.

As for your question 

Ok, so i use both guides but first start off with the STEP: 2.2.9 guide and then when i finish with that one i go to the second link you posted or i have to pick from one of the guides? 

I believe and I may be wrong here, STEP Core/Extended and Skyrim Revisited are two separate "bases" to start modding from.  For now, until i understand more about conflict resolution and mod interaction, i am sticking with just STEP Extended.  This might be the right advice for you.  Pick one ;)

Also in case i do not want one of the mods that have the green bar will the step core patch work or the mods with the green bar are imperative to be installed? 

Try it.  Add all the mods into Mod organizer, activate the mods you want, keeping the ones you don't inactive and after applying the STEP Patch, see if through Wrye Bash if it complains it's missing a master.  You have two choices then: 1) install the mod anyway. 2) Learn how to strip out the merged info from the STEP patch.  1) is the easy road 2) is the harder more rewarding road.

Also i want to install SkyRe and Complete character overhaul. By what i have read about STEP and SkyRe and CCO i believe it should work together so should i install them, and other mods out of the guide, after i finish the step project?

Correct.  Make sure your STEP or Skyrim Redone (whichever you choose) install is as solid and stable as possible.  Then start adding things.  I can tell you form the past (long before the STEP 2.2.9 release) that SkyRe and CCO can work together with STEP (not sure about Skyrim Redone, I have not used it)  I have done it before.  

Sorry for having so much questions, i just want to get this right. Sorry for the trouble and thanks for the help! ^^

Shut your mouth!  At least you are asking with some manners and tact.  "oh noez my nstal not werking!HALP!" gets no one anywhere.  It never hurts to ask a quesiton unless that quesiton ahs been answered hundreds of times or is explicitly stated in description and instructions.  As a newbie, now willing to take your time and read what you are doing, you are afforded the "dumb" questions every now and again ;)

Good luck!

True about the reading part, sadly figured that common sense thing out to late. After reading phazers (Thanks btw) post i re installed the game last night and have it all prepared, with the tools, for the guide and initial modding so when i finish with my exams and have enough time to dedicate to a big cake like this i will take 2 days to get this right. I now understand as a newbie i have to first do a guide like this and play a playthrough with it just to feel it and slowly expand modding knowledge. "DUDE someone took the time to make a complete guide for people like you so you do not have to go through **** and you don't use it, want this and that, STFU AND LEARN?!" is what my common sense is telling me now :D

...i pay attention to what mods might complement it later, or changes I may need to pay attention to for when I start using any of these packs.

So these packs i should look into and install what i like after i decide for one of the 2 step guides i mentioned? And when talking about the guides, after a quick "fly by" over them i think the revisited one will serve my needs best, only when i saw the guide authors set up he has a monster PC while i have a somewhat, above mediocre one (it satisfies the recommended config for step 2.2.9 but i have only 1gb vram). But i guess not everything has to be installed there. Any way i will read both guides and after that i will pick one that suites my situation most.

2) Learn how to strip out the merged info from the STEP patch.  1) is the easy road 2) is the harder more rewarding road.

I have no idea what you just said there :D But i believe i will find a guide and that will be explained so i will learn that. I still need to learn what and where are leveled lists, what are bash patches etc.

SkyRe and CCO can work together with STEP (not sure about Skyrim Redone, I have not used it)

I sure do hope SkyRe is comp. with STEP because after reading what it does and after 2 and an half playthroughs on vanilla i really really really want it and need it :D

Thanks for the help guys, still got 9 days till my exam so in the meantime i will try to learn as much as i can and will probably get more info.