RUSTIC CLUTTER COLLECTION (by Gamwich)

oqhansoloqo

Correct. Mod suggestions get their own topics, period ... that way each mod gets proper attention (and we benefit from new mod info). mention of other competing mods, like "I prefer this over that" is fine, but actual suggestions are a perfect opportunity to either create the new mod topic or post over there if it already exists.

Also, MAs don't need to put down other MAs' work ... they only need to promote their own. In fact, I would only lurk to answer open questions and correct false assumptions without even broaching others' work ;)

Tech, here is a quote from RUSTIC SILVERWARE's description page, that might help answer your question:

"The vanilla silverware textures are low-res and frankly uninteresting. In our world, silverware is expensive and people tend to pass it down in families from generation to generation. The patterns tend to be rather traditional for that reason. I thought that in Skyrim silverware would be even more precious, and the same tradition of passing it from generation to generation would exist. The design should therefore look very old. The vanilla normal map is shared between the Skyrim silverware and the Sovngarde "goldware", so I felt it was important for the pattern to look appropriate in both settings.

The ancient Nordic ruins show animalistic designs and scrollwork, which is similar to Norse or Celtic design. Therefore, I went with a pattern that incorporated a scroll design with dragon and bird motifs. I felt that this design would be suitable for both Skyrim and Sovngarde. Since the silverware would be used by families for many many years, I gave the textures a very rustic and used appearance."

My main thing is the flat surface of the platters that have a hammered look to them. Even silver work from the times of castles and horses like Skyrim had fairly smooth surfaces. As best I can tell from from research, the "hammered" silverware was a fad from the Victorian era. I suppose in the end it's a style preference.

There's a lot of things in the collection that needs to the compared.

Thanks for adding that quote, Vrugdush.... saved me the trouble.

Yes, I figured that in Skyrim, it would be a hammered technique, as the forges of Skyrim as quite basic and crude. It's hard to imagine that the metal work would be that fine, at least what the Nords were making. Elves and other races are a different matter. The Nord armor is pretty basic and rough looking in the game, so I didn't figure their other metalwork would be that much different.

And in the end, it's a rather imperfect exercise to compare between what existed in our world, and what exists in Skyrim (a fantasy world made up of many things both real and imagined).

Remember, RUSTIC CLUTTER COLLECTION is just that, a collection of my various RUSTIC texture mods for clutter objects. I put it together for people who requested everything, but that doesn't mean everyone will agree with all my stylistic choices. Many of the items can still be gotten individually.

• +1 1

I made those quite some time ago, and the tools at my disposal aren't what I use now. A cleaner version, for those who want it, is easily enough done.

Here's a cleaner take on the textures that I just whipped up.... give them a spin, if you like.  :;):

Edit: I went ahead and revised the original mod. RUSTIC SILVERWARE 2.0

Edited by Gamwich

Out of curiosity on the "realism" thing, I went searching for hammered silverware on the nets. I don't know where/when these were made, but they do appear to be hammered and not in pristine condition, though there is still a bit of sheen to them. Of course, tarnish/corrosion would change that considerably. Also, for well-used items, I would expect a good supply of random scratches. I imagine getting the precise look 100% real-world and game-context accurate would take a ton of work. Anyways, I was just curious. Here's a few pics I found in case anyone is interested.

Hammered Silver Platter

Hammered Silver Plate

Hammered Silver Bowl

Hammered (I think) Silver Cups

Heavily Tarnished Silver Cup

Hammered Silver Ewer

P.S. I never thought a video game would drive me to look up what old silverware looks like....

SoonerMagicEE,

Those are some good reference photos that you found. Yes, my take was more along those lines. As far as the shine goes, that's easily controlled by how light (or dark) the spectral mask is in the normal map. For more shine, you just need a lighter alpha layer. Simple enough to adjust.