MO Won't run SKSE

JonasB

Question

I have the skyrim script extender loaded into the mod organizer but it won't run it. Instead it always run skyrim default. I have double-checked and the skse link uses C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\skse_loader.exe as the 'Binary' entry. 

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but whenever I try to load the nexus mod manager it gives me a message saying it can't find the skyrim.ini file, which is weird because I've run the game several times without issue and my understanding is that the .ini is generated when the game is run. Again, not sure if it's relevant, but putting it out there.

Any help is appreciated. 

I am using MO. I have NMM installed but it has no mods in it and is not associated with nexus links. I brought up NMM only because I thought the .ini thing might be relevant. If it's not, then please disregard anything in my original post relating to it.

As for those steps in the link, yes I believe I did. I have SKSE in the executables dropdown, the problem is that instead of SKSE the organizer attempts to run vanilla skyrim.

Even though the MO UI may have set SKSE as an executable, you will still need to ensure that it, SKSE, is selected as the one to run in the drop-down box. This is especially true when you make changes to ANY executable. After closing then dialog that sets them, the drop-down box will reset to the default or top executable. It may be that in your case that is Skyrim and not SKSE.

If SKSE is selected, check that it is actually set to run the skse_loader and not just changed the name but left the binary field intact.

Have you run Skyrim at least once from its own launcher to generate the initial ini files?

This needs to be done since MO wont be able to copy the ini files into its VFS if they don't exist beforehand.

Also have you moved the installation folder of Skyrim? Doing so makes the registry settings invalid and 3rd party applications can't find it.

Do you have a legitimate up-to-date version of Skyrim? ie. version 1.9.32

Are both the SKSE dll files also installed alongside the skse_loader? ie. skse_1_9_32.dll, skse_steam_loader.dll

Lastly, by what means are you determining that MO isn't running SKSE? Is the default Skyrim Launcher starting instead?

Can you start the game by running SKSE from inside an explorer window, without using MO? Or by a desktop shortcut?

The only way that I know this can happen is if you do NOT have Steam running prior to launching SKSE through Mod Organizer. What happens typically in that case is a pop-up from MO warns you to launch Steam first. If you select No, or have selected No in the past and checked the Remember Me box, SKSE_Loader will run, tell Skyrim to launch up, but since Steam isn't already running, both SKSE and MO fail to hook Skyrim since Steam needs to be running first. Steam then starts up and essentially restarts Skyrim.

To fix, simply launch Steam prior to running MO. Or, if you did select No at that prompt and checked Remember Me and wish to change that decision, go into MO Settings and hit Reset Dialogs.

-My skyrim content build ID is 111802. This is the closest thing to a version number I could find under Properties.

-Yes the other skse files are in the skyrim directory with the main skse loader

-When I click on the SKSE shortcut on my desktop, skyrim is automatically run without using the loader screen. When I try to run SKSE through MO, it goes to the loader screen. Furthermore, if I continue to skyrim proper, SkyUI will give me an alert saying that SKSE is not running. This is how I determined that MO is not running SKSE.

-I could run SKSE without using MO, but then none of the mods i have installed through the organizer would work.

-I have steam running well before I run MO and have never had the issue STEP Staff describes.

Okay, let's eliminate anything we can.

From an explorer window rename the ModOrganizer.ini to something safe, e.g. ModOrganizer.ini.bak, and then start MO again.

This will run it with no extra settings. You will be presented with a dialog asking which game to run, choose Skyrim and proceed.

Dismiss the 'tip of the day' dialog and say no to the tutorial question.

If SKSE is set correctly and the registry knows where Skyrim is installed SKSE should be the top executable in the drop-down menu and you should be able to press "Run" and start Skyrim with SKSE.

If that doesn't happen then there is a problem with the registry not knowing where the game exe is.

If it does work thn=en the settings in the original ini are incorrect and you will need to fix those with what is found in the new one just created.

-My name is not STEP Staff. That is my title. My name is DoubleYou.

-I highly doubt that he pirated the game as it is in the Steam directory structure. From what I've seen, pirates typically have it in a bogus TSEV Skyrim folder.

-Tested the registry theory, and even if the registry is wrong, it will work fine through MO.

-Since you have Steam and Skyrim installed in Program Files (x86) you might simply be experiencing UAC issues. Please read the STEP Skyrim Installation Guide. To test if it is a UAC issue, try running MO as administrator temporarily. If that fixes it, change folder security settings for Skyrim directory so that the User account has Full Control and run MO like normal.

-If it isn't a UAC issue, I can only think of two things it might be since it isn't that Steam isn't running prior:

1. FNIS checker could be interfering. Disable it in Settings > Plugins > FNIS Checker > Enabled to False

2. For some bogus reason, Steam might be receiving the wrong Steam App ID when SKSE is launched. To attempt to fix this, modify the SKSE executable settings to Overwrite Steam App ID with 72850.

-There is the possibility that your antivirus is interfering.

-What is your Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini? What is your enblocal.ini? What is your ModOrganizer.ini?

Okay, let's eliminate anything we can.

From an explorer window rename the ModOrganizer.ini to something safe, e.g. ModOrganizer.ini.bak, and then start MO again.

This will run it with no extra settings. You will be presented with a dialog asking which game to run, choose Skyrim and proceed.

Dismiss the 'tip of the day' dialog and say no to the tutorial question.

If SKSE is set correctly and the registry knows where Skyrim is installed SKSE should be the top executable in the drop-down menu and you should be able to press "Run" and start Skyrim with SKSE.

If that doesn't happen then there is a problem with the registry not knowing where the game exe is.

If it does work thn=en the settings in the original ini are incorrect and you will need to fix those with what is found in the new one just created.

Did this and it still runs default skyrim. Is the problem that the registry doesn't know where the SKSE .exe is? 

Incidentally, I always run MO as an administrator.