MO Won't run SKSE

JonasB

Question

I have the skyrim script extender loaded into the mod organizer but it won't run it. Instead it always run skyrim default. I have double-checked and the skse link uses C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\skse_loader.exe as the 'Binary' entry. 

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but whenever I try to load the nexus mod manager it gives me a message saying it can't find the skyrim.ini file, which is weird because I've run the game several times without issue and my understanding is that the .ini is generated when the game is run. Again, not sure if it's relevant, but putting it out there.

Any help is appreciated. 

I'm not really the one to give advice on such matters given I'm not too computer savvy but I would give the following a try if I were in your shoes.

1) Uninstall Mod Organizer

2) Move Steam to C:/Games/ and run it from its new directory location so it updates its registries and things

3) Re-download SKSE and place the .dll and .exe files into the Skyrim folder and run SKSE Loader

4) Re-install Mod Organizer into the Skyrim folder

5) Follow the STEP guide for installing SKSE again and see if it works

Did you try the other things I mentioned?

The FNIS things are all false by default. 

Edit: I followed the STEP guide when installing SKSE and nothing in the .ini mentions the line you said to change.

Edited by JonasB

By any chance would skse-using mods have to be installed through MO in order to function? I have SkyUI via the steam workshop and it's error messages are what I'm using to determine if SKSE is running.

Yes that is exactly the reason for your issues.

You must not have mods installed by either Steam or via other managers like NMM alongside MO.

The entire MO ethos is to have a 'clean' Data folder with NO mods installed directly into it. ALL modding must be done via MO.

As my first response in this thread shows, you will have issues if you do that.

If you want to have mods that are available only via Steam, SkyUI is not one of those mods, you will need to copy the files used in that mod out of the Data folder and create an archive and 'install' it via MO. Just copy the archive into the 'downloads' folder. Then you must un-subscribe from ALL mods in Steam, and preferably play with Steam in offline mode. (this isn't necessary but IMO better)

So to reiterate, the Data folder must be free of any installed mods and only use MO to manage any new mods.

Edited by GrantSP

My apologies. I thought you just meant NMM and MO. I didn't realize it was connected to the data folder itself nor that MO needed it to be empty. I actually thought the data folder didn't matter to MO since it uses a 'virtual' one. I am emptying my data folder now and will let you know if it works.

And... it still only runs the skyrim loader. My data folder is empty, there are no unassigned mods in MO's listing, and it still won't run skse

Edit: That's not entirely true. Dragonborn and Dawnguard's esm's are still in the data folder and MO is registering them as unassigned mods. What do I do about them?

Edited by JonasB

Everything from the game itself, all the ESMs, need to be in that folder. This is what is called 'vanilla' in many discussions. ALL your mods need to be installed via the MO program and nowhere else, failing to do so will mean conflicts that MO has no chance of dealing with, since those files are outside of its control.

At this stage it is probably best to verify your game status with Steam and start with a clean base. Add back the SKSE files into your Skyrim folder and nothing else. Then load MO and see if SKSE is found. Ensure Steam is active in the background, just to eliminate one possibility, and see if MO runs SKSE.

Load a save game or start a fresh game and at the first chance open the console and type:

getSKSEversion

the game will then display the installed version of SKSE. If it fails this step then there is something about your system or your installation that needs to be explained.

Yea, I uninstalled skyrim and reinstalled it, then reinstalled SKSE and still only goes to the vanilla launcher. The only unassigned mods in the data folder (in fact, the only mods in the data folder) are dragonborn, dawnguard, and hearthfire. The issue has to be with MO itself somehow since everything I've checked says that the actual install of SKSE and skyrim are fine.

Please explain the process in detail on how you installed SKSE. Installing SKSE is a two part process. The first step off coarse is downloading to your MO/download folder. Then you need to find the archive in your download folder an extract/copy these files in your ACTUAL Skyrim folder NOT the skyrim/data folder:

skse_1_9_32.dll

skse_loader.exe

skse_steam_loader.dll

The second thing you need to do is install the SKSE just like you would any other mod within MO. If you do not know how to install mods using MO, say so. In the archive install just the Data folder using MO and in my case I call it "Skyrim Script Extender", but you can call it what you want. Finally NOT using MO, navigate to your install directory, mine is "MO\mods\Skyrim Script Extender" and create a directory called "SKSE" in caps. Go in the directory and create a file called "SKSE.ini". Make sure that windows is showing all your file extensions and you are NOT creating "SKSE.ini.txt". Finally, copy the folllowing into SKSE.ini:

[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

Now you are ready to trying running. On the right panel from MO, select SKSE, then click the RUN button next to it. If you did everything correctly, Skyrim will start using SKSE.