Optimizing SR:LE Mods

Kelmych

Question

MasterInire asked:

<quote>

Hello,

Thank you both for your replies. I understand that I am not supposed to run DDSOpt on all the files.

However, one of the main "methods" discussed on a number of "troubleshooting" sites is to reduce texture size using either DDSOpt or Optimizer Textures on the entire textures directory.

I will report the failing texture on the Wearable Lantern page as well as on the DDSOpt page, although I suspect that both are no longer in development.

I just wanted to post this here in case someone else in the future had an issue, not to actually get any assistance or troubleshooting. I should have been more clear about that in my post, and I apologise for the confusion.

Thanks

</quote>

It's best to run DDSopt (or any other texture optimizers) on a set of mods that benefits from optimization, not all the mods (especially all the mods at once). Some mods, such as all of the Cabal mods in The Armory of Skyrim, are already sufficiently well optimized that running DDSopt will not improve these mods at all.

The author of DDSopt stopped development a few years ago.

I'm not sure why DDSopt fails when optimizing that particular texture. Optimizing textures when the size of a texture isn't a power of two (_wl_glass_n.dds is 600x300) is more difficult. We'll look into adding this to the DDSopt.ini file. Meanwhile you could ignore the texture (or the whole mod) when optimizing.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet