Skyrim Child Overhaul (by Hallgarth)

TechAngel85

Discussion thread:
Skyrim Child Overhaul by Hallgarth
Wiki Link

This mod changes the appearance (face, race, and clothing) of the children in Skyrim to better match both the appearance and race of their parents. As an additional feature, it also adds in the missing children from the other races (Mer and Orc).

Edited by TechAngel85
Add author to title

Turns out that this one might have some issues. I'm fairly sure it needs a patch for Hearthfire and it has an issue with a few girls having black faces that the author doesn't seem to know what is causing it...which could simply be conflict issues that need resolving.

If this one be get working 100%, it's the best for STEP, imo, out of the ones in testing.

The black face issue seems to only appear where the children are actually loaded in the cell. Therefore, when installing this mod make sure you are nowhere near children. The author has a list on the mod page; however, that doesn't seem complete since I received the issue in Whiterun.

In all cases Rustic Children seems most like what is currently in STEP. RS Children is my preference and what I currently use. But both Rustic Children and RS Children are nice and an improvement over STEP. I like Skyrim Child Overhaul the least, something looks weird about them. For STEP, I would vote for Rustic Children.

Based on these screenshots I still vote for Rustic Children. RS Lars in particular looks like he belongs in an anime rather than in Skyrim. They look good, though. I prefer either of them to current STEP or SCO. I recommend watching Brodual's video for some more comparisons between SCO and RS. (Rustic wasn't released at the time)

EDIT: I like Neovalen's solution, so +1 to Core = Rustic, Extended = RS.

Edited by Harpalus

SCO is where it's at for me. This mod corrects the children to look like their parents which is where most of the changes come into play. They look as if they're always been a part of the game.

Rustic children only changes the cloths and makes most of the children whiter. This is why I don't like it, plus some of the boys just look creepy.

RS Children is just way out there with its changes and I agree that they don't always fit in. They look amazing, but almost too good for Skyrim. This one seems like it sits outside the STEP Mandates because of it's drastic changes. The others at least seem to hold the essence of vanilla.

I highly recommend checking these out in-game before passing any judgement!

For faces and hairs, Rustic all the way. SCO and RS are just silly.

For clothing, gonna have to go with Rustic too. They are a departure from vanilla, but not sure that's enough that it isn't Core material. CCF changes the clothing of some priests, and that is core, so this is in that same vein of enhancing the game properly.

EDIT: I'll take a look in game later tonight.

SCO is where it's at for me. This mod corrects the children to look like their parents which is where most of the changes come into play. They look as if they're always been a part of the game.

Rustic children only changes the cloths and makes most of the children whiter. This is why I don't like it, plus some of the boys just look creepy.

RS Children is just way out there with its changes and I agree that they don't always fit in. They look amazing, but almost too good for Skyrim. This one seems like it sits outside the STEP Mandates because of it's drastic changes. The others at least seem to hold the essence of vanilla.

I highly recommend checking these out in-game before passing any judgement!

After some in-game testing, I find that I agree. I'll change my vote here to SCO. The children don't look quite as good as RS, but they fit in much better with Skyrim (and don't have apachii hair!). I also appreciate the changes made to make children resemble their parents. I couldn't find any dunmer children in my testing after running around for a bit, but they looked decent in Brodual's video, and the orc child I found looked great. The clothing is nicer with Rustic, admittedly.

At any rate, I hope at least one of them can make it into STEP, as they're all much better than what's in Core now.

Edited by Harpalus

Yes! Do view all options in-game! My shots are just a small example and I would not want anyone voting on them alone. Rustic really makes some of the boys look weird in-game and all children are white from what I can tell. You really need to view them interacting and walking around the environment to get a true sense of how they look.

So I've deleted the compares bc I strong believe that they have to looked at in-game for a while. Don't just load them up and walk around for a few minutes. Spend some time watching the children and compare them to the adults walking around. Those compares were not doing any of the mods justice.

Votes without testing in-game will not be counted for this set of mods.

Right now, it's going to be a toss up between Rustic and SCO.

I keep going back and forth between Rustic and SCO. The clothing looks better with Rustic, but then all the children are made pretty much the same shade. With SCO, the clothing is about as good as we have now, but the overall changes that SCO makes need to be taken into account. It adds a variety that I didn't feel was missing until I started really paying attention (no one pays the children any attention while playing). I never noticed the odd choices Bethesda made with the children. Like giving the battle-born child brown hair when both his parents are blonde. Redguard children being too pale and the missing children from Mers and Orcs.

Just going by looks alone, this would probably be Rustic. However, weighing in the entirety of what each mod brings to the table...SCO wins out for me. So my official vote is going to be SCO.