Mod Organizer not creating a Virtual file System

Enshara

Question

I was following Essarrbee's guide on installing mods for fallout new vegas and when i reached the part were it told me to start the game, i noticed that none of the mods were working. I then checked on google to see if anyone else had the problem and came accross the post by GSDFan, so I did the get NVSE version thing and got version 4. Then i downloaded free commander, installed it, set it up as a executable in MO and ran it from inside MO navigated to my FNV data directory and did not see any of the ESP's from the installed and activated mods.

Any help would be most appreciated

13 answers to this question

Just what exactly are you trying to do? If you were following that guide you would have seen the need, and the instructions, to install NVSE and have it working properly.

There is no need to install FreeCommander if all you want to do is mod and play FNV using MO. Just follow the guide and it works.

Perhaps a viewing of the video tutorials for MO is in order? Follow the links from the wiki link above to the MO wiki and start there.

Modding isn't a hard task, but it does take a methodical mindset. So to with MO. It is very different to other mod managers but once you examine the way it works it is very effective.

Edited by GrantSP

I installed NVSE and have it working correctly(I think), when I typed into the console "GetNVSEVersion" I got version 4.

I did follow the guide and it did not work.

The only reason why I installed FreeCommander is to check why it was not working.

I have modded skyrim successfully with MO in the past.

What I am trying to do is play FNV with mods, but none of the mods actually run, if I understand the logic behind GSDFans response on the 6th of Jan when he mentioned FreeCommander, then you can use the program to check whether the virtual file system that MO creates is working.

Modding FNV in MO is the same as modding Skyrim with MO.

1. Download mods
  2. install
  3. activate
  4. sort
  5. play

Instead of the generalised comment "VFS isn't working" perhaps try looking at what specifically isn't, or appearing to not be, working.

Which mod(s) are you expecting to see but aren't? How are you determining they aren't working?

I first noticed that none of the mods were working when I started up a new game and it did not stay "x mod has loaded" as it did about half a year ago when I installed the mods using FOMM. I then tested it by looking at my mod list and choosing a mod at random (i choose new vegas bounties) and going through the nexus page (and watching videos of others using the mod) and tried to find the start of the mod, In this case it should have been a item on trudy's bar making reference to becoming a bounty hunter, but that item was not there. I then closed down new vegas and reread the entirety of the guide checking just in case I had missed something out, having gone through the guide again and not finding anything that I didn't do I went to google and checked to see if anyone else had this problem and whether it had been sorted out. which is when I discovered the beta version of MO. I downloaded and installed that hoping that it would fix the problem, (it didn't) how ever that put my load order in alphabetical order so I ran LOOT through mod organizer, which is when LOOT told me that the only things that it could detect was the base game, all the DLC and the other things I got from buying the Ultimate edition. So I then hit a metaphorical brick wall. So I searched the forums again come across GSDFans responce and downloaded FreeCommander and checked my NVSE and posted my results from checking FreeCommander through MO

By 'beta' version you are referring to 1.3.1b? If so uninstall and install 1.2.18. The beta version should only be used to test the functionality of that beta, not as your working environment.

I'm a bit concerned by this comment:

I downloaded and installed that hoping that it would fix the problem, (it didn't) how ever that put my load order in alphabetical order so I ran LOOT through mod organizer, which is when LOOT told me that the only things that it could detect was the base game

To me this sounds like you have an already modded FNV setup, after which you then installed MO and expected to have it 'see' those installed mods.

This is not what MO does. ALL mods MUST be installed via MO and then those mods will be available to the game via MO's VFS.

Any mod that exists in the real, physical Data folder on your computer will need to be removed, that folder should be cleaned and verified by Steam and then all those mods installed using MO.

The reason why MO is showing you only the vanilla plugins is you ini plugin list used will be a default one that has no record of any added data, in the same way as you might have added mods using the FNV Launcher beforehand.

I'll remind you again of the video tutorials and wiki for MO that can be found in the 'Wiki' link at the top of the page.

When I said that I downloaded version 1.3.1b what I meant was that I already had version 1.2.18. I upgraded in order to try and fix the problem.

I did and do not expect MO to see previously installed mods (of which there are none) infact if it did see any mods that were installed previously then I would suspect that my new computer is not new at all.

I did install the mods in MO, I did exactly the same thing that I did when I played skyrim.

Like I said before, using MO for FNV is exactly the sama as for Skyrim.

Make a copy of you 'downloads', 'mods' & 'profiles' folders from under the Main MO install folder and completely remove that installation.

Run FNV from its launcher to ensure a clean set of default game ini files are generated.

Install MO again from the original 1.2.18 installer, or archive, and run it for the first time. You should get messages about which game you want to manage and whether you want tutorials etc. if you don't see those your existing ini files are still there.

Now move your 'downloads', 'mods' & 'profiles' folders back into this new install.

Start MO and if it recognises these installed mods they are displayed in the left-hand pane.

Ensure they are active in the left-hand pane, as you do with Skyrim and ensure any plugins are also active in the right-hand pane.

If all of this is good any mods shown there will be inside MO's VFS once the game is started. All that this entails is tricking the game engine to look at MO's installed folders, there should be minimal code running once the game is started.

Ok I have downgraded and all the mods that I installed in 1.3.1b are in 1.2.18 but none of the mods inside MO are inside the game when it is started. The mods are active in the left-hand pane and the plugin are active in the right-hand pane, but when I start up the game and start a new game none of the mods are active inside the game.

Edited by Enshara

Yeah, xEdit is the generic name for FNVEdit,FO3Edit,TES4Edit & TES5Edit.

If what you say is correct then there is something wrong with this specific install of MO.

Can you, either in spoiler tags or with a Pastebin link or similar, provide your modorganizer.ini and the actual paths to you installed mods folder?

Somehow the files that are showing in MO as installed aren't being provided to either the game or tools that view that.

Also can you provide the contents from the active profile's folder? There should be:

saves
archives.txt
fallout.ini
falloutprefs.ini
initweaks.ini
loadorder.txt
lockedorder.txt
modlist.txt
plugins.txt

Perhaps zip them into an archive and post a link.

what do you mean by actual paths to you installed mods folder, do you mean 

C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Fallout New Vegas

And now as if by magic its working :s all I did was copy modorganizer.ini and the active profile into a folder and upload it to a filesharing website and somehow mod organizer views that as a fix :s

sometimes, i sware i dont understand technology

Edited by Enshara

By the full path I mean the actual path that takes me to MO's 'mods' folder.

e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Fallout New Vegas\Mod Organizer\mods\

:O_o: I have no idea why that would help, possibly your system was processing those files and they weren't available to MO? I have no idea.

At any rate, I would do a general check of your system just to make sure everything is fine. Update any drivers etc. that Windows suggests and run any malware or virus checkers you have, just to be safe.

In the future, just remember all the settings that MO uses to generate the game environment are either ini files or folders. All the settings are stored in an easily accessible manner and the only 'magic' is the hook.dll that tricks the executables into believing the files are somewhere else.

I hope your gaming experience in the future is stress free. Have fun.