I keep getting "ERROR. There is already an instance of Fallout New Vegas running." When launching from Mod Organizer.

Radagast

Question

I followed the step guide, though i didn't download many mods.

Most of the time, when i run the game in Mod Organizer, the launcher will come up, i'll click play, and sometimes the game will launch and play normally. The majority of the time however, it does not and i end up with the warning that the game is already running.

When this happens i can not see any evidence of the game running exept for when i check task manager and click 'more details' where i can find fallout and fallout 4gb running. I can end these and try again, but mostly this will repeat.

My load order is:

FalloutNV.esm

DeadMoney.esm

HonestHearts.esm

OldWorldBlues.esm

LonesomeRoad.esm

GunRunnersArsenal.esm

ClassicPack.esm

MercenaryPack.esm

TribalPack.esm

CaravanPack.esm

YUP - Base Game + All DLC.esm

oHUD.esm

Project Nevada - Core.esm

Project Nevada - Equipment.esm

Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp

Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp

Project Nevada - Extra Options.esm

YUP - NPC Fixes (Base Game + All DLC).esp

Project Nevada - Rebalance Complete.esp

Project Nevada - Cyberware Additions.esp

DarNifiedUINV.esp

Project Nevada - All DLC.esp

The Mod Configuration Menu.esp

Bashed Patch, 0.esp

I would greatly appreciate any help, as i am quite new to modding and don't know how to fix this. This problem has been driving me crazy :(

In the executable dropdown menu, which executable do you have set?

If you have the FNV4GB as the option could you provide the settings you have entered and the actual paths to that file and the real FNV exe?

Yes i use the FNV4GB.

Here are the settings:

Title - 4GB FNV

Binary - C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\fnv4gb.exe

Arguments - -laaexe .FalloutMO.exe

The paths to the files are:

4GB - C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas

FNV.exe - C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas

Both of those files are in that same folder.

Can you check, is the file FalloutMO.exe being created in the folder that you set?

Also remove the Arguments switch and try again. There should be a patched FalloutNV.exe created in the 'exes' folder found in the FNV main folder.

If you can run the game without the extra instances appearing then that is all you need. I believe that 'switch' is just a workaround.

After hitting FNV4GB in MO there should be a small progress bar window in the centre of your screen and then the game will immediately start without the launcher opening. If you get the launcher then the settings aren't set correctly.

Can you check, is the file FalloutMO.exe being created in the folder that you set?

Also remove the Arguments switch and try again. There should be a patched FalloutNV.exe created in the 'exes' folder found in the FNV main folder.

If you can run the game without the extra instances appearing then that is all you need. I believe that 'switch' is just a workaround.

After hitting FNV4GB in MO there should be a small progress bar window in the centre of your screen and then the game will immediately start without the launcher opening. If you get the launcher then the settings aren't set correctly.

I checked the folder and found that 'FalloutMO.exe' is indeed there.

I removed the arguments thing and now when i start the game, a progress bar will show up, but after that, i get an error saying "Failed to write memory of child process. Access is denied" and the game does not open.

And yes, in the 'exes' folder there is a FalloutNV.exe. Should i do something with that, or leave that be? I'm pretty confused since i'm pretty new to mods sorry. I'm not sure what i should do next.

Your arguments "-laaexe .FalloutMO.exe" should be "-laaexe .\FalloutMO.exe" check if that worked if GrantSP's fix doesn't work

This brings me back to where i was at the beginning unfortunately. The launcher will open and after i press play, the game will launch sometimes, but most of the time i get the error that it is already running.

Edited by Radagast

You must have Windows security settings hindering you. I didn't think would be an issue considering where you have everyting installed.

Can you navigate to the FalloutNV.exe and right-click to bring up the context menu for that file?

You should see a small tabbed window with one of the tabs called: 'Security'

Click that tab and in the panel at the top is a list of 'Group or user names' select your user name and in the bottom will be a list of 'Permissions for your name'.

The list will show the levels of security and a large checkmark for those active.

Click the 'Edit' button and make any changes needed to give your user account full access to that file.

You must have Windows security settings hindering you. I didn't think would be an issue considering where you have everyting installed.

Can you navigate to the FalloutNV.exe and right-click to bring up the context menu for that file?

You should see a small tabbed window with one of the tabs called: 'Security'

Click that tab and in the panel at the top is a list of 'Group or user names' select your user name and in the bottom will be a list of 'Permissions for your name'.

The list will show the levels of security and a large checkmark for those active.

Click the 'Edit' button and make any changes needed to give your user account full access to that file.

I went over to FalloutNV.exe and checked the security settings. Every group and username has full access and all of the boxes are checked for it to have access. There was one user thing however called "authenticated users" which had access to everything except the 'full control box'. I ticked that and it loaded for a bit changing the security settings or something and when it finished i opened mod organizer again, removed the arguments and tried to launch but i am still getting the "Failed to write memory of child process. Access is denied" thing. I've triple checked all the security settings in the falloutNV.exe and everything is in full control but I'm still getting the error.

Edited by Radagast

Have a look at the seetings for the generated file inside the 'exes' folder. That's the file that actually gets the patch applied to it to enable the 4Gb access.

Another thing you might try is to point the argument to a folder far from the install folder. Something like:

-laaexe C:\Games\Tools\FalloutMO.exe

Edited by GrantSP

Have a look at the seetings for the generated file inside the 'exes' folder. That's the file that actually gets the patch applied to it to enable the 4Gb access.

That file has full access and control to everything as well.

Another thing you might try is to point the argument to a folder far from the install folder. Something like:

-laaexe C:\Games\Tools\FalloutMO.exe

I just tried this too and I'm getting access denied error again.

Ok, we need to remove some variables here.

Create a shortcut on the desktop that starts FNV4Gb and start the game without MO. If you still get the 'Access denied' message perhaps you could ask for help in the Nexus page, Roy Batty may be able to provide some more insight.

If you can get the game started that way then we need to look at your MO setup.

Ok, we need to remove some variables here.

Create a shortcut on the desktop that starts FNV4Gb and start the game without MO. If you still get the 'Access denied' message perhaps you could ask for help in the Nexus page, Roy Batty may be able to provide some more insight.

If you can get the game started that way then we need to look at your MO setup.

I created a shortcut on the desktop for FNV4Gb. Launching it from the desktop without MO works perfectly, i don't get the 'Access denied' or the 'Already Running' errors. Ive launched it 5 times to make sure and from the desktop it works completely. Btw, thank you so much for helping me so far, i appreciate that. Hopefully i can get the game running soon :)

Edited by Radagast