I keep getting "ERROR. There is already an instance of Fallout New Vegas running." When launching from Mod Organizer.

Radagast

Question

I followed the step guide, though i didn't download many mods.

Most of the time, when i run the game in Mod Organizer, the launcher will come up, i'll click play, and sometimes the game will launch and play normally. The majority of the time however, it does not and i end up with the warning that the game is already running.

When this happens i can not see any evidence of the game running exept for when i check task manager and click 'more details' where i can find fallout and fallout 4gb running. I can end these and try again, but mostly this will repeat.

My load order is:

FalloutNV.esm

DeadMoney.esm

HonestHearts.esm

OldWorldBlues.esm

LonesomeRoad.esm

GunRunnersArsenal.esm

ClassicPack.esm

MercenaryPack.esm

TribalPack.esm

CaravanPack.esm

YUP - Base Game + All DLC.esm

oHUD.esm

Project Nevada - Core.esm

Project Nevada - Equipment.esm

Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp

Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp

Project Nevada - Extra Options.esm

YUP - NPC Fixes (Base Game + All DLC).esp

Project Nevada - Rebalance Complete.esp

Project Nevada - Cyberware Additions.esp

DarNifiedUINV.esp

Project Nevada - All DLC.esp

The Mod Configuration Menu.esp

Bashed Patch, 0.esp

I would greatly appreciate any help, as i am quite new to modding and don't know how to fix this. This problem has been driving me crazy :(

Well, it must be an access problem with your MO installation.

I'll make the assumption you have MO installed to somewhere like C:\Program Files (x86)\Mod Organizer\ or maybe C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\Mod Organizer\

Regardless of where it is now, install a new installation into a place completely isolated from any possible Windows interference, even a place like:

C:\Tools\Mod Organizer\ and have this install manage your FNV. You may need to give any shortcuts it creates new names so they don't conflict with your current ones.

When you run this instance ensure you get all the messages and prompts like running the tutorials and the question of which game to manage. That way we will know that it is using completely fresh ini files.

Add the FNV4GB executable as we have it now and see if the message persists.

Well, it must be an access problem with your MO installation.

I'll make the assumption you have MO installed to somewhere like C:\Program Files (x86)\Mod Organizer\ or maybe C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\Mod Organizer\

Regardless of where it is now, install a new installation into a place completely isolated from any possible Windows interference, even a place like:

C:\Tools\Mod Organizer\ and have this install manage your FNV. You may need to give any shortcuts it creates new names so they don't conflict with your current ones.

When you run this instance ensure you get all the messages and prompts like running the tutorials and the question of which game to manage. That way we will know that it is using completely fresh ini files.

Add the FNV4GB executable as we have it now and see if the message persists.

Ok, i installed a new mod organizer to C:\Games\Tools\Mod Organizer got the tutorial thing and which game to manage. I added the 4GB FNV to this new Mod Organizer using the dropdown executables and used the binary to where it originaly was (i haven't moved it, not sure if i was supposed to). I still get the access denied warning when trying to launch.

Edited by Radagast

Is there a way you can take a screenshot of that error message? Can you determine if it comes from Windows or MO or if there is any other information that it provides?

Also remind me of what versions of MO and Windows you have and if your system is patched and up-to-date. Just to be sure.

I might have to think on this one, if you have all the correct permissions and this install is also free or UAC control I can't see why there would be an access denied error.

Is there a way you can take a screenshot of that error message? Can you determine if it comes from Windows or MO or if there is any other information that it provides?

Also remind me of what versions of MO and Windows you have and if your system is patched and up-to-date. Just to be sure.

I might have to think on this one, if you have all the correct permissions and this install is also free or UAC control I can't see why there would be an access denied error.

I'm not entirely sure if it comes from windows or MO, but i think it probably comes from windows. I've got a screenshot here, unfortunately this is the only info it gives me.

I'm running:

Windows 8.1

MO v1.2.18

I'm not too sure what you mean by system patched and up to date. I recently reset to factory settings about a week ago and did all the important windows updates.

One thing to note (im not sure if it matters) but when using the MO for skyrim i can launch skse just fine with no problems.

Fc2cIiD.png

Oh one thing that could be worth mentioning is that originally steam and fallout was installed to programfiles (86) but i moved it by doing it how steam says to do it (i know it's not good to just move the folders), so i did it this way - https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?p_faqid=231

Edited by Radagast

I've posted a comment on the Nexus page asking for some further input.

Fingers crossed. Sorry I can't offer anything further.

Ok, no problem man. Thank you again for trying to help though. Hopefully i will be able to get it working soon.

I was having the exact same problem as you and I don't know if you managed to get it running on your own, but after spending the best part of the day tinkering about, pulling my hair out and barely resisting the urge to throw my laptop against a wall, I found a solution that worked for me in a thread on the old NV4GB page.  Essentially you should have your argument in MO set to:

-laaexe .\Fallout MO.exe -Steam App ID 22380

You need to check what the Steam App ID for your copy of New Vegas is and change it accordingly.  To do that, open up Steam, go to your library.  Right click on Fallout New Vegas and add an icon to your desktop.  After that, go to that shortcut, right click and look at the properties.  Look at the web document tab and that should give you the information you need.  

If you've had no joy, I really hope this helps!  You can find the original thread here:  https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/251916-4gb-fallout-new-vegas/?p=24468794

I seriously want to shout this from the rooftop as I've seen so many other posts today where they've been having the same problem!

• +1 1

I was having the exact same problem as you and I don't know if you managed to get it running on your own, but after spending the best part of the day tinkering about, pulling my hair out and barely resisting the urge to throw my laptop against a wall, I found a solution that worked for me in a thread on the old NV4GB page.  Essentially you should have your argument in MO set to:

-laaexe .\Fallout MO.exe -Steam App ID 22380

You need to check what the Steam App ID for your copy of New Vegas is and change it accordingly.  To do that, open up Steam, go to your library.  Right click on Fallout New Vegas and add an icon to your desktop.  After that, go to that shortcut, right click and look at the properties.  Look at the web document tab and that should give you the information you need.  

If you've had no joy, I really hope this helps!  You can find the original thread here:  https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/251916-4gb-fallout-new-vegas/?p=24468794

I seriously want to shout this from the rooftop as I've seen so many other posts today where they've been having the same problem!

I was having exactly the same issue as the OP, and this fix worked perfectly for me. However, the text in the main menu is now missing...