What happened to the TOCs?

EssArrBee

Question

All the Table of Contents on every page are collapsed by default. If that was one of those ninja changes, it'd probably be better to have them open by default. I use the TOCs more often that not and want other users to use them too. 

11 answers to this question

Mine appear normal as well, both on my PC and my phone.

Except on the SR:LE and Fear and Loathing guide pages. There the ToC is collapsed by default.

May have something to do with someone (DoubleYou maybe?) trying to fix the issue where the hide/show option doesn't appear for Fomod instructions on mod pages? I know that came up in conversation about 2 days ago on the 2.2.9.1 dev thread.

The Fomod instructions still aren't collapsing either on the mod pages OR in my Sandbox. May be unrelated, or maybe I've missed something in the Fomod template.

Seems ok now, BUT I did notice that if I clicked hide on one of the ToCs then refreshed another tab, the ToC in the 2nd (and 3rd) tab would be closed after the refresh.

Have you tried a hard refresh, clear cookies and cache etc?

I'm not sure how that works either, but I'm thinking javascript, which I know very little about lol.

Also I think it will remember the last setting, so if you open/close one ToC, then refresh all tabs, or open a new tab, they will be the same.

It's amazing what you can work out at 6am on a Sunday when you can't sleep.

So, if I close one TOC, all the rest will be closed? That seems pretty weird. It's probably what is happening because I opened all the TOCs on all my open tabs and it makes all new pages have them open. 

Im pretty sure that this is normal or at least this is what I have observed in the past.

If you hide a TOC on any page on the wiki, it stays hidden everywhere until you unhide it. My guess is that it is a cookie. This behavior spans sessions but is browser specific. If you hide in FF, it will remain hidden in FF but not in IE or Chrome. Hard refresh or closing/reopening the browser has no impact, and the previous setting sticks. Same goes of all of the browsers.

Not sure when/if it expires though. s4n would probably know how to determine exact behavior.