STEP Extended esp causes CTD on opening wagon scene

QuinRiva

Question

I was methodically adding the all the mods that are part of the STEP Extended set up, and everything was going fine until I enabled the STEP Extended Patch.esp (using Mod Organizer).

Enabling this esp results in a CTD during the opening carriage/wagon ride - specifically at the "... same as that thief over there.  -- Damn you Stormcloaks, everything was fine until" I CTD...

I have tried rolling everything back so that I am using the STEP Extended patch and only the direct dependencies of the patch, and I still get a CTD.  I've even ensured that the Load order in my list, matches the load order in the Extended Patch masters:

[spoiler=Load Order]Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Dawnguard.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
HearthFires.esm
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
Cutting Room Floor.esp
ExplosiveBoltsVisualized.esp
Animated Weapon Enchants.esp
Elemental Staves.esp
Complete Crafting Overhaul_Remade.esp
SkyrimCoinReplacerRedux.esp
Bring Out Your Dead.esp
ADS.esp
AOS.esp
RealisticWaterTwo.esp
dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
DeadlySpellImpacts.esp
aMidianBorn_ContentAddon.esp
Thieves Guild Requirements.esp
TheChoiceIsYours.esp
The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
STEP Extended Patch.esp

I've reverted the Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini

[spoiler=Skyrim.ini][General]
sIntroSequence= ;Disables the intro sequence for a faster startup
fFlickeringLightDistance=8192 ;Helps prevent lighting pop-in

[Display]
sD3DDevice="NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670"
fSunShadowUpdateTime=0.25 ;Transition time of sun-shadow movement
fSunUpdateThreshold=1.5 ;Time between sun-shadow movement
iPresentInterval=1 ;This line needs to be manually added, as it is misplaced into SkyrimPrefs.ini by Skyrim! - REQUIRED by ENBoost

[Grass]
b30GrassVS=0
iMaxGrassTypesPerTexure=7 ;increase grass diversity with a small cost to performance (yes, 'texure' and not 'texture'). Consider set to 7 if using SFO.

[Combat]
;Shift the point of aim to the center of the aiming reticule for arrows and crossbows.
f1PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.7
f3PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.7
f1PBoltTiltUpAngle=0.7
f3PBoltTiltUpAngle=0.7 ;this tweak is not present in the default INI and needs to be entered manually

[Camera]
;Place the camera just above the character's head in third-person view, and correct the camera angle in third-person view while on horseback (from "Third Person Horse Camera")
fOverShoulderAddY=0.0
fOverShoulderPosZ=18.0
fOverShoulderPosX=0.0
fOverShoulderCombatAddY=0.0
fOverShoulderCombatPosZ=24.0
fOverShoulderCombatPosX=0.0
fOverShoulderHorseAddY=-72.0
fOverShoulderHorsePosZ=50.0
fOverShoulderHorsePosX=35.0
fActorFadeOutLimit=-100
fMouseWheelZoomSpeed=60.0
;instant camera-angle switching when switching view types or when mounting/dismounting horse (from "Instant Camera POV Switching")
f1st3rdSwitchDelay=0.95
iHorseTransitionMillis=001

[interface]
fBookOpenTime=200.0 ;speeds up the book-opening animation
;move the HUD elements closer to the borders of the screen
fSafeZoneX=10
fSafeZoneY=10
fSafeZoneXWide=10
fSafeZoneYWide=10

[VATS]
;Increase ranged killcam frequency (or disable killcams)
fVATSCastingAfterKillDelay=1.2000
uVATSRangedPercentSneak=100
uVATSRangedPercentGlobal=100
bVATSMultipleCombatants=1
bVATSForceRanged=1
bVATSDisable=1 ;enable(0) or disable (1) killcams

[Water]
bReflectLODObjects=1
bReflectLODLand=1
bReflectSky=1
bReflectLODTrees=1

[spoiler=SkyrimPrefs.ini][Display]
iTexMipMapSkip=0
bFXAAEnabled=0
fMeshLODLevel2FadeDist=1e+007
fMeshLODLevel1FadeDist=1e+007
fSpecularLODStartFade=2000
fLightLODStartFade=3500
fTreesMidLODSwitchDist=1e+007
iShadowMapResolution=4096
fShadowBiasScale=0.15
iShadowMaskQuarter=4
iBlurDeferredShadowMask=3
fShadowDistance=8000
iMaxDecalsPerFrame=100
iMaxSkinDecalsPerFrame=25
iAdapter=0
iSize W=2560
iSize H=1600
iMultiSample=0
iMaxAnisotropy=0
bFull Screen=1
bTreesReceiveShadows=1 ;Enables shadows rendering on trees (insignificant performance impact)
bDrawLandShadows=1 ;Enables shadows rendering on land (insignificant performance impact)
bFloatPointRenderTarget=1 ;Set to 'one' if using deferred shader rendering ENB lighting (NOT supported by STEP).

[Controls]
bMouseAcceleration=0 ;Disables mouse acceleration

[imagespace]
iRadialBlurLevel=2

[LOD]
fLODFadeOutMultActors=15
fLODFadeOutMultItems=15
fLODFadeOutMultObjects=15

[Grass]
fGrassStartFadeDistance=18000 ;push back the distance for grasses to fade (minor performance hit)

[Decals]
bDecals=1
bSkinnedDecals=1
uMaxDecals=1000
uMaxSkinDecals=100
uMaxSkinDecalsPerActor=60
bDecalsOnSkinnedGeometry=1 ;Enable higher-res blood on NPCs (insignificant performance impact)
iMaxDecalsPerFrame=256 ;increases the number of blood decals per scene (from "Enhanced Blood Textures")

[TerrainManager]
fTreeLoadDistance=75000
fBlockMaximumDistance=250000
fBlockLevel1Distance=70000
fBlockLevel0Distance=35000
fSplitDistanceMult=1.5

[blurShaderHDR]
bDoHighDynamicRange=1

[blurShader]
bUseBlurShader=0

[Launcher]
bShowAllResolutions=1
uLastAspectRatio=4

I'm using the most recent versions of SKSE and ENB.  Disabling the STEP Extended Patch.esp enables to the opening carriage ride to run without any problems. I've checked to ensure that the SKSE Memory patch is running fine (it is).  I'm unsure what could possibly be causing the problem?

8 answers to this question

Hmm, the ini's are freshly regenerated (i.e. I just deleted the .ini's and then ran Skyrim Launcher).  After I regenerated the ini's I then added all of the settings here: Guide:Skyrim_INIs.  Are there some other ini settings that are required?

Note, my old ini's were substantially larger, and they didn't work either, hence the regen.

I have disable enb and I still get a CTD.  I have also tried running by launching the Skyrim executable (instead of SKSE, same problem).

Did you ONLY install the exteneded? You are suposed to install all mods from the CORE install too if you are using the extended patch

Yes, that was what I originally did.  However after getting a CTD, I tried rolling back to the absolute bare minimum and the CTD persisted.

I have also tried a new install of Skyrim with the same mods and loaded with Nexus Mod Manager.  This did work.  I rolled back to a clean install with Mod Organizer, and CTD returns. Clearly it is something to do with the way that MO is loading things...  Installation order was the same in both cases, esp load order was the same in both cases and I made sure that I cleared the MO Overwrite folder.

Trying to figure out what the difference is now...

EDIT: Ninja'd :ninja:

That's what I get for trying to STEP while I work :lol:

You have a LOT of mods missing. You should have more like 200+ mods, and around 100 plugins.

As Uncle Seano said, you need to install ALL the mods from the list, except the ones that say "Not needed if using the Extended Patch" or something similar.

Did you have any problems or confusion during the installation process?

Did you add all the SKSE.ini files that are recommended during the install?

Edited by Xaviien

^^ This.

You have a LOT of mods missing. You should have more like 200+ mods, and around 100 plugins.

As Uncle Seano said, you need to install ALL the mods from the list, except the ones that say "Not needed if using the Extended Patch"or something similar.

As I said in the OP, I did install all the mods that were part of the STEP Extended setup and had a CTD when I activated the STEP Extended mod. I then rolled back to the bare minimum in order to resolve the initial CTD.  Testing the same mods on Nexus Mod Manager seemed to work, so I realised it must have been something specific to MO.

I think I have now resolved the issue by reinstalling all of the mods that are masters to the STEP Extended Patch.esp with MO.  I had reinstalled most of them, but I think there were a few that I had just reactivated not reinstalled.  Potentially some time long ago I had cleaned a master that I shouldn't have, or something got corrupted.

As I said in the OP, I did install all the mods that were part of the STEP Extended setup and had a CTD when I activated the STEP Extended mod. I then rolled back to the bare minimum in order to resolve the initial CTD.  Testing the same mods on Nexus Mod Manager seemed to work, so I realised it must have been something specific to MO.

I think I have now resolved the issue by reinstalling all of the mods that are masters to the STEP Extended Patch.esp with MO.  I had reinstalled most of them, but I think there were a few that I had just reactivated not reinstalled.  Potentially some time long ago I had cleaned a master that I shouldn't have, or something got corrupted.

My bad, I posted that before I saw your reply, then edited my post.

The reason we thought you hadn't installed all the mods is because you stated that you had installed Extended, but then the load order you posted was not all of Extended.

I'm glad you got it sorted though!