Skybirds - Airborne Perching Birds

Korentin

One other thing I've experienced during testing that wasn't in the report was that there would be collision object issues with the dead birds, which I know was an issue in the past but thought was resolved. I guess I had forgot about it and didn't include that. But it was moot based on the mod not being accepted.

The other thing is that I have gotten a few random CTD in the time between now and when I first reported on the mod. However I have not had any telling papyrus log errors so can't definitively say skybirds is the culprit (although I strongly suspect it is)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without knowing where this thread has been and where it hasn't; I've both heard of and experienced a few CTDs with this mod installed. I'm not going to go into any detail as it's been a while and I didn't per say TEST it. I just added it, had a few crashes, removed it and rolled back to a previous save. After that, I had no more crashes. I've been advising that my users not use it, privately until I could test it. If STEP does determine it is unsafe then I will add it to the list of potentially unsafe items on my guide.

Its a mod that adds new spawns to the game, hence it is potentially a cause for more CTD´s. Just like any other mod that alter or increase the amount of spawning.

If you have an already massive list then this might be the proverbial drop, or it might not.

Should be fairly easy to test out on your own though... Install run about in a few forested areas for a while.

Its a mod that adds new spawns to the game, hence it is potentially a cause for more CTD´s. Just like any other mod that alter or increase the amount of spawning.

If you have an already massive list then this might be the proverbial drop, or it might not.

Should be fairly easy to test out on your own though... Install run about in a few forested areas for a while.

No massive list.  I stay under 100 by conscious decision.  But yes it is fairly easy to test and as long as your save is backed up (Feel as if I'm preaching to the choir :) lol) there is no risk!

So has it been confirmed that this mod does cause some sort of CTD?

I would love to use this mod in my final playthrough, but want to make sure it is stable.

BTW, to michaelrw

When you had your crashes, did you have skyrim flora overhaul regular edition installed or basic?

basic

• 7 months later...

Hi folks! This necroposting bump is brought to you by the Masters of Offtopic LOOT Thread Posts::P:

I've been using SkyBirds (along with Birds of Skyrim) for nearly a year now, and really haven't experienced any issues that can be traced back to it.

That said, prior to the Sheson's memory fix, the sheer number of bird spawns was far more suspect in possibly causing CTDs than the mod's scripts.

I'd also like to say that a number of months ago I had a few PM exchanges with steve40, and it's pretty clear to me that he really knows his stuff when it comes to scripting. He's also responsible for some vanilla script fixes (the "critter" scripts in particular,) of which some of that work eventually made it's way into the USKP, if I understand things correctly.

In my Papryrus logs, when I do have them turned on, I don't see loads of errors from SkyBirds once the game has started - just a long list of missing objects references before that, which is normal and will get cleaned up.

Save game bloat? Haven't seen it. Keep in mind that added/moved objects and NPCs do add additional bytes to your save game, but these things get cleaned/flushed out by the gamen on a regular basis.

steve40 has become a father, and has said he's lost all interest in playing and modding, so I suppose you could say the mod is unsupported, but with the advent of tools like the SaveTool savegame script "cleaner", I think there's less to worry about.

Anyhow, I have no plans to stop using it with as little trouble as it's caused me. It would be nice if someone could "pick up the torch" with the mod and continue to develop it - if steve40 has no plans to do so and would agree.