FNIS version 5.3 - Error(53) cannot access file

toonfan

Question

Hello,

I recently updated my FNIS from version 5.2 to 5.3 using Mod Organizer.  Now, whenever I use FNIS on my new profile, I get a myriad of issues.  Most I have corrected by simply deleting the FNIS folders and reinstalling from scratch, but I can't solve the Error(53) access error.  The message I get is:

ERROR(53): Could not find file 'C:\Games\steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\data\meshes\actors\character\behaviors\1hm_behavior.hkx'.

I have also installed the 5.3 fix and merged the two files, and I still have no luck...  orz

I went to the FNIS nexus page, but came here after reading fores' sticky (and I quote):

"ERROR(53) when using Mod Organizer: An MO issue. Usually worked-around when you follow the different MO installation instructions to the point. But you need to complain there (and PLEASE DO IT)"

Note that I do not have the creature pack and never have iirc, unless that means Immersive Creatures, which I do have installed.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!!  Thanks in advance!

6 answers to this question

OK - I'm a little disappointed to say I don't have a culprit to report.

I reinstalled vanilla Skyrim, then turned off all my mods.  I reinstalled and added each one at a time, and FNIS worked like a charm.  Probably the only change I made was to accept Immersive Animations rather than the XPMSE animations, per the STEP guide on Dual Sheathing Redux.

So the good news is it is working!  The bad news is, I'm not entirely sure why...

I had the same thing happen. In my case I created a mod from the overwrite folder and with those files present I received the error. The solution was to deactivate my overwrite mod and let FNIS generate new files in the overwrite folder and then cut and paste those files into my mod overwrite. If you maintain your FNIS files in MO overwrite folder, delete those, and run FNIS again.

I have restarted since the issue, no fix.  I'll try again because hey why not.

While waiting for a reply here, I started flipping mods on and off, trying to see if I could stumble upon a working setup.  This, naturally, lead to CTD on start.  Frustrated, I flipped off all mods and started fresh... and it worked!  I reclaimed my animations (everyone had gone stiff and looked like levitating scarecrows), and FNIS compiled.

I'm currently in the process of turning all my mods back on, one by one, and seeing what causes the issue.  If I can pinpoint a culprit, I'll be sure to post it here.

Edited by toonfan

If you notice in the FNIS discussion page, @fore has conceded that this 'Error 53' is not specifically a MO issue and has in fact posted an apology in the MO forum page. He and I have looked at the steps needed to install and use FNIS in MO and there is now instruction on the description page detailing the very simple steps needed to do so. Any issues with FNIS not running properly, either in or outside of MO, are now down to user setup errors.