Fallout 3 GOTY Application load error 5:0000065434 When Launching FOSE from within MO

RevReese

Question

Hi all!.

I have recently switched to MO from FOMM after a Windows Reinstall (Win7 64bit) and have had no problems with it whatsoever with Skyrim (so far).

But when I try to run Fallout 3 with a handful of mods through the FOSE link in MO it crashes instantly with the above Steam error ("Application load error 5:0000065434").

I have posted in the Steam forums about this problem and will feedback anything useful here.

The game loads fine from Steam (obviously mod-free) and from FOMM (though my mods do not appear when using FOMM).

It also appears to load fine when I click on the fose_loader in the game folder though that will not load my mods will it? even if I have MO open in the background.

I have tried all the standard fixes (editing the Fallout.ini and fallout_default.ini files with bUseThreadedAI=1
iNumHWThreads=2).

Used LOOT to set my load order.

Setting Fallout3.exe, FalloutLauncher.exe and fose_loader.exe to compatibility to Win XP SP3.

Running fose_loader as admin.

Adding d3d9.dll to the game folder.

Running without mods enabled and with (same crash).

Renaming ClientRegistry.blob from the Steam install folder.

Here is my load order:

[spoiler=Load Order]# This file was automatically generated by Mod Organizer.
Fallout3.esm
Anchorage.esm
ThePitt.esm
StreetLights.esm
BrokenSteel.esm
PointLookout.esm
Zeta.esm
Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch.esm
aHUD.esm
EVE.esm
iHUD.esm
Fellout-Anchorage.esp
Fellout-BrokenSteel.esp
Fellout-PointLookout.esp
Fellout-pipboylight.esp
Fellout-Zeta.esp
megalight.esp
Fellout-Full.esp

I am fresh out of ideas so any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated!.

Other than this problem, I am having a blast with MO! I successfully modded my Skyrim back to it's previous state within a few hours!.

Thank you for your time.

Edited by RevReese

• Answers 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

You might want to read the initial portion, and the troubleshooting section, of the Fallout 3 guide here on the STEP site. It has detailed instructions for using Fallout 3 with MO. The "Clear an Present Danger" guide can be accessed using the pointer in my signature, and there are forum threads in the Packs portion of the forums.

Thank you for your reply!.

I have had a good read through the linked guide, but the problem persists.

I tried to run the fallout launcher but the Application load error popped up immediately, both within MO and externally and non of the other suggestions seemed relevant except for the Fallout 3 Dual-Core and Multi-Core Fix ini tweak which I have already done.

I have also cleaned the DLC esm's as per the guide.  Now they do not appear on the left pane but the plugins still appear on the right pane.

Also, the cleaned esm's now appear in my "overwrite" mod along with "FO3Edit Backups".  What do I need to do with them now?.

I don't know what else to try.

Edited by RevReese

In MO the overwrite folder has the highest priority, so any files in there will always overwrite any lower priority file. As these are the game base files you want other mods to overwrite them. Right clicking on the overwrite folder will give you the option to create a mod out of it. Give it a name and move the mod to the lowest priority slot in the left pane.

My personal preference is to copy the base game files one at a time into their own mod, move it to the proper priority, activate it and then clean it in Tesedit. This preserves the original file and location so the game can be run from Steam without a problem when needed.

A word on cleaning. Things can go wrong and do at times with the cleaning. I have had a base game file get corrupt and cause all sorts of problems. Doing the cleaning this way lets me deactivate the cleaned version and test again. If my problem goes away then it is a simple matter of cleaning again.

This method may not be popular with others, but it works for me.

Thank you for your reply.  I did make backups of the game files before cleaning so I can just pop them back in if something goes wrong!.

I moved the game from my SSD to my HDD as I have needed to do with several older games in the past and the error message no longer pops up.

...However, upon running FOSE from within MO it locks MO as it should to run the exe but then quits without an error, if it helps, when this happens the message log at the bottom reads "setting file times on esps".

Clicking on fose_loader manually loads the game up no problem, as does clicking the steam shortcut.

EDIT: Now clicking FOSE Run brings up the application load error again, not sure why as i changed nothing.

Edited by RevReese

Is Steam and/or the game installed in a UAC controlled folder such as C:\Program Files *x86)\ . If this is true did you make sure that all the directories involved have full read/write permissions for all users?

Running the game by clicking on fose_loader in the Fallout 3 GOTY folder, or clicking on the steam shortcut brings up the game with no mods since MO is not involved. This doesn't provide much useful information about running the game with MO.

No, Steam is installed to C:\Steam to avoid the UAC issue.

I have MO working perfectly with Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim,, it is just Fallout 3 that has this problem.

I have posted about this in the Steam forums too as it appears to be a steam error rather than an MO error (the bar across the top of the error says "steam error").

I have heard of this problem with others if they are using pirated copies of the game (which I am not).

Is there any other information I could provide to help?

I had the same error

What i did is simple but somehow dissapointing...

I loaded a crack.

Sad that Steam is so hard with its restrictions in this case, but this was the only way it worked for me.

I tried "mklink" stuff a lot but nothing helped.

The cracked launcher works. Only bad thing: Steam does not notice me playing Fallout 3 when i do =/

My first post here!

OP, myself and others have had a similar issue to what you've described. As stupid as it may seem, the "fix" is to copy/paste the Steam.exe directly into your New Vegas directory/game folder (not "Data" folder). Then launch the game through MO. Try it, if it works, great! If not you can always delete the .exe back out of there...

Edited by Theleb_Kaarna

Thank you all for your posts!.

I had the same error

What i did is simple but somehow dissapointing...

I loaded a crack.

Sad that Steam is so hard with its restrictions in this case, but this was the only way it worked for me.

I tried "mklink" stuff a lot but nothing helped.

The cracked launcher works. Only bad thing: Steam does not notice me playing Fallout 3 when i do =/

I am unsure about using a "crack" though I have heard that it has worked for others, maybe I will try it if nothing else works.

There is a fose log in the fo3 directory that may be useful. Run the fose loader and let it crash. Open the fose.log and post the contents here.

fose log:

launching: Fallout3.exe (D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Fallout 3 goty\Fallout3.exe)
crc = FE5B82AE
hook call addr = 00C05F61
load lib addr = 00D9B0F0
dll = D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Fallout 3 goty\fose_1_7.dll
remote memory = 001E0000
old winmain = 006EE300
launching

Running through steam loads the game, loading by clicking fose_loader loads the game, but neither of these notice my mods.

Also you can try adding 22300 to the overwrite steam Appid in the fose modify executables dialog.

I tried this and immediately get the crash and accompanying error: P:0000065432.

As this Bug Report shows, unfortunately this is an issue with Steam and can't be handled with fixes made to MO, FOSE or any other 3rd party tool.

That's a shame but thank you for finding that bug report.

My first post here!

OP, myself and others have had a similar issue to what you've described. As stupid as it may seem, the "fix" is to copy/paste the Steam.exe directly into your New Vegas directory/game folder (not "Data" folder). Then launch the game through MO. Try it, if it works, great! If not you can always delete the .exe back out of there...

I have tried this and the application load error does not appear but loading FOSE simply loads up the fallout launcher (again no mods but better than an instant crash).

EDIT: I tried this again and immediately get the crash and accompanying error: P:0000065432

Interesting. When I run Fallout 3 Goty through MO Steam isn't needed at all, as mentioned in the FO3 guide here. It doesn't properly hook with MO.

That could be the problem then, maybe back to FOMM?.

Thanks again for all your advice, but it looks I will have to back to FOMM (which loaded fine) or use a crack (which I don't really want to do).

Edited by RevReese

Because misery loves company . . . I have what appears to be the same problem. The difference is that I uninstalled GOTY, and had Steam re-install. Thus, I am running with just the Bethesda DLC and FOSE. Like RevReese, both the patched Fallout 3 exe and FOSE run fine outside of MO.

Windows 8.1 (x64). Steam version of GOTY (US). Mod Organizer 1.3.4. Note that Fallout3.exe also fails when launched from MO. I'm including FOSE data as that is what is required to have any joy at all with MO:

fose.log

FOSE: initialize (version = 1.2.2 01070030)
fallout root = C:\ProgramData\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Fallout 3 goty\
plugin directory = C:\ProgramData\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Fallout 3 goty\Data\FOSE\Plugins\
patched

Application Event Log

Fallout3.exe 
   4a40f18b 
   Fallout3.exe 
   4a40f18b 
   c0000005 
   007eea75 
   162c 
   01d08a7636e858ad 
   C:\ProgramData\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Fallout 3 goty\Fallout3.exe 
   C:\ProgramData\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Fallout 3 goty\Fallout3.exe 
   74ead644-f669-11e4-beec-d43d7eb4837d 

I'll try NV with MO, and see how that goes. 

Edited by MtnSloth

If you have Steam and Fallout 3 in a non-UAC directory, especially if you have configured the directories for Steam, MO, and the game files for full control by all users, there is no need to use "run as an administrator" with MO. In some cases, as Tanin pointed out a while ago, this could actually cause a problem. (I'm not sure if this is an issue for you).

If the mods are setup for use with MO then they are not in the actual game Data folder, so they will no be visible to Steam or any executable in the Fallout 3 Goty directory unless the game is launched by MO. Having MO in the background doesn't help, it needs to run the game launcher that is used.

Try running an MO profile with only the vanilla files (no additional mods) and see if FO3 can start using the FO3 Launcher or FOSE. In each case look at the logs produced in the Mod Organizer\logs folder. The log is small so you might want to post it here.