Fonts do not display in main menu

Ventessel

Question

I am getting an issue that has been reported by a few other users on this forum, which is that after completing the setup for F&L I launch fnv4gb.exe through the MO and when it loads onto the main menu screen the correct background for NMC's texture pack is displayed but without the NMC logo, or the DarnUI icon, or any text/menu whatsoever. The mouse does not appear, and the game is effectively frozen (needs to be closed through task manager).

I am running Win7, and do have my steam files installed in the default (ProgramFilesx86) directory.

I have tried deactivating all mods, the game runs normally in that case with no issues. I have also tried selectively deactivating the merged fixes (although my copy of FNVEdit is up to date and the merge scripts all appear to be in order) and have also reinstalled MCM, DarnUI, UIO, and Project Nevada with all accompanying options/fixes. I have also made sure to move DarnUI above those mods for install and then back below them to run the game and prevent overwrites/conflicts with the start_menu.xml file.

What I am wondering is:

a) What the heck can I try other than a complete reinstall and rebuild of F&L (took about 3 days on and off working on it... not keen to take this route)

b) Is it possible to just ignore DarnUI and not use it, since it seems to be causing trouble?

12 answers to this question

I am getting an issue that has been reported by a few other users on this forum, which is that after completing the setup for F&L I launch fnv4gb.exe through the MO and when it loads onto the main menu screen the correct background for NMC's texture pack is displayed but without the NMC logo, or the DarnUI icon, or any text/menu whatsoever. The mouse does not appear, and the game is effectively frozen (needs to be closed through task manager).

I am running Win7, and do have my steam files installed in the default (ProgramFilesx86) directory.

I have tried deactivating all mods, the game runs normally in that case with no issues. I have also tried selectively deactivating the merged fixes (although my copy of FNVEdit is up to date and the merge scripts all appear to be in order) and have also reinstalled MCM, DarnUI, UIO, and Project Nevada with all accompanying options/fixes. I have also made sure to move DarnUI above those mods for install and then back below them to run the game and prevent overwrites/conflicts with the start_menu.xml file.

What I am wondering is:

a) What the heck can I try other than a complete reinstall and rebuild of F&L (took about 3 days on and off working on it... not keen to take this route)

b) Is it possible to just ignore DarnUI and not use it, since it seems to be causing trouble?

The INIs are almost always the problem when this happens. UIO is supposed to see DarnUI and apply the tweak. I'd say that something may have overwritten DarnUI and that is causing the issue. Maybe just install Darn and see if that fixes it. Also, try to reinstall OneHUD.

UIO is supposed to handle those font changes but for me at least it never has. I still add an 'INI Tweak' to the DarnUI mod in MO and assign the font changes there. Unless I do so I never have the correct menu display, it either shows the vanilla or at worse, nothing.

UIO adds the DarnUI tweak on it's own, but I guess sometimes it has to be done manually.

[Fonts]
 ;sFontFile_1=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Monofonto_Large.fnt
 sFontFile_1=Textures\Fonts\DarN_FranKleinBold_14.fnt
 ;sFontFile_2=Textures\Fonts\Monofonto_Large.fnt
 sFontFile_2=Textures\Fonts\DarN_FranKleinBold_16.fnt
 sFontFile_3=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Monofonto_Medium.fnt
 ;sFontFile_4=Textures\Fonts\Monofonto_VeryLarge02_Dialogs2.fnt
 sFontFile_4=Textures\Fonts\DarN_Sui_Generis_Otl_10.fnt
 sFontFile_5=Textures\Fonts\Fixedsys_Comp_uniform_width.fnt
 ;sFontFile_6=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Monofonto_VL_dialogs.fnt
 sFontFile_6=Textures\Fonts\DarN_Sui_Generis_Otl_13.fnt
 ;sFontFile_7=Textures\Fonts\Baked-in_Monofonto_Large.fnt
 sFontFile_7=Textures\Fonts\DarN_Libel_Suit_Otl_24.fnt
 sFontFile_8=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Futura_Caps_Large.fnt
 sFontFile_9=Textures\Fonts\NVFont_Test.fnt

I'm having this problem. What INI tweak are you guys talking about? Please explain as if I'm a 5 year old because I see nothing about it int he guide.

PLZ THX.

There's 2 ways to sort it. Either edit your ini with the fonts part of the post that SRB has above. OR check to make sure your ini files are not read only. I've managed to fix this before by checking that and changing them from read only. Then reinstalling UIO. Problem solved.

If you're cluey, you can use MO to make an ini tweak inside the UIO mod to add the part SRB has above. But if you're not confident doing that, just use MO's ini editor, copy the fonts part of SRB's post and paste that into the ini.

Edited by Nozzer66

SO, I figured it out. It was my my bad for going off script. I was using that Ambient Temperature - Nevada Skies Patch. Once I removed that everything worked great.... so far.

Edited by Vulgar1

Hey,

I had that problem. I unchecked all the mods after UI and try categories by categories to see what was wrong. It seems that was Additional weapons by SRB's categorie that was all messing up. I don't know why ... An idea ?

Hey,

I had that problem. I unchecked all the mods after UI and try categories by categories to see what was wrong. It seems that was Additional weapons by SRB's categorie that was all messing up. I don't know why ... An idea ?

Identical problem for me. After seeing your post I disabled the merged SRB Additional Weapons mod and removed it from the bashed patch, and now my game starts up just fine. I will probably try installing the additional weapons one at a time later to see which one is actually causing the problem, but for now I'm not worried about it.

Identical problem for me. After seeing your post I disabled the merged SRB Additional Weapons mod and removed it from the bashed patch, and now my game starts up just fine. I will probably try installing the additional weapons one at a time later to see which one is actually causing the problem, but for now I'm not worried about it.

Plus I optimized my NMC's textures and it seems that when I activate my optimized textures, the same main menu problem appears ...