Not So Fast - Main Quest (by cdcooley)

WilliamImm

Discussion thread:
Not So Fast - Main Quest by cdcooley
Wiki Link

Frankly good mod for the game that puts a little more pacing between the parts of the main quest, and also alters some of the annoyances with it too. Worth a look at for STEP Extended or a community pack.

I have already made a patch for this mod in the most recent EBQO update, so no worries there. Author now includes EBQO instructions in mod.

• 1 month later...

Sa far as I've seen, it's pretty seemless. No issues running it so far, and definately cuts down on the breakneck pace of the quest overall. I like it, and will continue to run it.

All of that said (typed), I'm not sure it's STEP Core... or even extended. Really, the pacing of the quests aren't a 'bug' per se, and while I prefer this kind of pacing, it's a far more personal preferenence than an improvement. MAYBE Extended, but certainly not Core.

It's kind of similar to "Thieves Guild Requirements", which is currently a STEP Extended mod.  That mod didn't fix any bugs either, it just made things make a little more sense - like, you actually have to have some thief-like skills to be noticed as a worthy candidate for the Thieves Guild.  While it doesn't fix a bug, it improves the gameplay dynamics by enhancing the expectations for the Thieves Guild questline.  The vanilla game presents a situation where the character may not have ever done anything remotely thief-like, and yet is spotted for recruitment as if they are showing signs of being a competent recruit.  The TGR mod alters the situation so it's no longer so ridiculous.

This "Not So Fast" mod seems to do something similar - it adds an element of time between certain quests.  It appears to enhance the expectations of how long it should take for events to unfold, as there are many times where the vanilla game events are strung so tightly back-to-back that it seems kind of ridiculously so.

So I think it may have a place in STEP Extended "possibly", but not Core.

• +1 1

It's kind of similar to "Thieves Guild Requirements", which is currently a STEP Extended mod.  That mod didn't fix any bugs either, it just made things make a little more sense - like, you actually have to have some thief-like skills to be noticed as a worthy candidate for the Thieves Guild.  While it doesn't fix a bug, it improves the gameplay dynamics by enhancing the expectations for the Thieves Guild questline.  The vanilla game presents a situation where the character may not have ever done anything remotely thief-like, and yet is spotted for recruitment as if they are showing signs of being a competent recruit.  The TGR mod alters the situation so it's no longer so ridiculous.

I agree with what you say - thing is, I would call this exact situation 'something wrong', whereas the Main Quest doesn't have that issue. Hence, my statements. No actual bug or fix situation. *shrug* As I said, I'm keeping it regardless.

I'll probably add this to my next playthrough, but it's probably not for STEP. I guess it would depend on how many of the staff feel that the main story progresses too fast. I feel it does. The one and only time I completed the main quest, my PC's level and skills where far too low (I think still in the 30's). I was not prepared for most of the quests in the later half and ended up finishing the game in god mode or I'd die in seconds of getting into battles. A bit of time between main events would be great, imo.

That's not a case of underleveling... that a case of undergearing, I think. Still, no matter what, it does take care of a pacing issue that many do feel is there.

Pre3vious statement based on beating MQ at about 15 to 20... with little difficulty. Of course, I was a sniper....

My first play through was as a strict mage which Skyrim isn't built for. That's probably why I had so much trouble. STEP needs some balancing mods for the traditional D&D play styles but those are best left for Packs.

The thing is Skyrim has all these traditional styles, but rather allowing you to focus on just one Skyrim has you becoming a "Jack of all trades".

Yep, you have to limit yourself and stay on path to enjoy some role-playing. My personal favorite is the the Bonelord of Worms.

This is the first character build I saw and inspired me to do my own with mods.

Edit: sorry to go offtopic :innocent:

Edited by FuzzRocket9

• 4 weeks later...

I have been using this in my new play-through which I started today. I have to say that I like it so far. It pauses the main quest and really allows you to level and gear up before continuing the main story line. This pause better prepares you for what lays ahead in the quests. I've found myself visiting the Inns as well as talking to NPCs to pick up side jobs as I wait for the story line to advance. This mainly involves clearing out bandits and doing some funny side quests. You can also pursue the Champion side quest while you wait, if you so choose. At night I find myself renting a room in a Inn, enjoying an ale and a song and then sleeping to continue my journey in the morning. Lastly, this has allowed me to save up about 2/3rds of the coin I need to purchase Breezehome, which is always the first home I buy since its central location is ideal for the beginning of the game.

All in all, I would say this has added immersion for me in the game as you are not rapidly running through the first part of the game.

If it's anything like this mod, I'm all in! I feel like I'm immersed into the game more because this is forcing me to experience talking to the NPCs and taking odd jobs while I wait instead of just running through the main quest which you can do rather quickly.

It's a kryptopyr mod, so lets just ask her about it. I'm not sure if it does the main quest though, so we might look at both mods. Timing is everything is the companion mod to The Choice is Yours and has an MCM menu for further customization.