Not So Fast - Main Quest (by cdcooley)

WilliamImm

The problem I have with it being a Core mod is that the quests just pop up after the timer is done. You're just running along killing bunnies and all of sudden you have a new quest.

The second delay finishes when the courier brings you the note from Delphine but the first delay finishes with just a quest update that suggests going back to Farengar. If you have another quest active you might not even notice it right away but if you don't have any others active then you'll get a pop-up alert about it. Until you mentioned it I hadn't noticed that Skyrim completely lacks that sort of timed quest update for any of the standard quests.

I always have at least one quest active (mainly because I hate that when a new guest is made active automatically it gives that pop-up alert) so ironically I didn't think about the fact that you would get a pop-up about Farengar. At the very least I need to make sure it doesn't trigger during combat.

The problem with a note from Farengar is that he really hasn't learned anything and there's no option for any further discussion with him about it. (When you actually learn about his results it's through Dephine.) The only point of going to check with him is to get you back into Dragonsreach so that the dragon sighting scene can start. That's why the quest objective is just to check on him out of your own character's curiousity, but if he had actually sent a note it would introduce an inconsistency in the story. I'm trying to fix inconsistencies not create them. :)

I've already changed my copy so that the update can't happen during combat. I'm thinking about also delaying it until you're in a city or town location.

I haven't used this mod at all yet but if Irileth doesn't show up right away then you never got your reward from the Jarl... so you could send a courier saying the info on the tablet was great come collect your reward... or am I totally off?

The problem with a note from Farengar is that he really hasn't learned anything and there's no option for any further discussion with him about it. (When you actually learn about his results it's through Dephine.) The only point of going to check with him is to get you back into Dragonsreach so that the dragon sighting scene can start. That's why the quest objective is just to check on him out of your own character's curiousity, but if he had actually sent a note it would introduce an inconsistency in the story. I'm trying to fix inconsistencies not create them. :)

Actually there is an alternative. If you collect the Dragonstone before starting BFF then Delphine doesn't show when you meet with Farengar. He actually has different dialogue but I can't remember exactly what it is, although it is quite short. In fact I thought you had removed the Delphine conversation deliberately at first since you've removed her from Ustengrav - but I checked UESP and realised this wasn't the case. Anyway that conversation might flow better this way and could be triggered by a courier - but you will miss out on Delphine.

An off the wall solution could be to just start Dragon Rising next time you visit Western Watch Tower?? But that could be tricky and I do like Irileth's speech outside the guard barracks.

He says, "Ah! The Dragonstone of Bleak Falls Barrow! You have already found it! You are cut from a different cloth than the usual brutes the Jarl foists on me." Irileth then comes running in with news of the dragon and you're off... a babe in the woods equipped with a string tied to a stick they call a bow or an rock that couldn't cut hot butter they call a sword to fight a dragon.

You mean when the guard says, "We're so dead!"? That part always makes me laugh for some reason.

I haven't used this mod at all yet but if Irileth doesn't show up right away then you never got your reward from the Jarl... so you could send a courier saying the info on the tablet was great come collect your reward... or am I totally off?

I like this suggestion. It solves the issue and adds something to the quest without it being intrusive.

You can buy Breezehome right after dropping off the dragonstone which is the biggest part of the reward. The other part is the piece of junk the Jarl gives you just before sending you off with Irileth. A suit of iron armor for a mage! That man definitely needs to re-marry. :)

I prefer the simple timed quest update. That sort of thing was common in earlier games and while a large number of them get annoying so does seeing that same courier running toward you every time you enter a city or village. I just played through again and realized that even without another quest Skyrim doesn't actually do more than display a scrolling notification (which isn't any more disruptive than the skill increase or level-up messages) so other than keeping it from appearing during combat I don't see a need to change it.

I've uploaded a version 1.2. Now the message about visiting Farengar can't trigger while you're in combat, the Season Unending negotiation quest is enabled by default, and the initial delay values are 6 and 9 days. I think the second should be larger than the first, but many people seemed to feel that 14 days was too long.

• 1 month later...

Hey,

I've been reading this topic and Timing is Everything. Looked both mods page as well. I can't decide, can I use this two mods together? Or no, I must choose one of them? Or does not sense to use them together? Buggy, etc, ...

I saw Legendary edition uses Timing is Everything.

Is is recommended to use them together? Or should I choose between these two mods?

Thanks!

You asked in both topics, but I'll answer here too for anyone that is watching.

I use Timing is Everything in my own game (along with almost all of kryptopyr's mods) but it doesn't address the main quest which is why I created this. So go ahead and use them both, there's absolutely no conflict.