Purity (by Laast)

Neovalen

Purity by Laast

Purity was previously a paid mod on the Steam Workshop. Laast decided to release this updated compilation on the Nexus (a classy move, imo) in thanks for the outpouring of support from some community members but this will be his final work for Skyrim.

Think what you will about the paywall, it's the authors who got burned by this fiasco and that's the saddest part of this whole thing. I can tell he is hurt from the tone of the description.

If someone wants to move this as a stand alone thread in the mod area please do, I cannot set a prefix on Tapatalk.

Looks like this is mainly a compilation of Pure Weather, Pure waters (including PW landscape textures) and PW Waterfalls. You can see this by comparing the esp and bsa files of said mods with Purity. However a lot of records have been altered. Haven't checked it in game though, since I'm using WAO and Realistic Water.

Much as I want to show him some support (even post-mortem, so to speak), with this one conflicting with... well... about every thing in my load order weather and water wise, I have to give it a pass. And short of the STEP lineup changing drastically, I don't think a lot of us will either, for the same reason. Shame too... it's pretty, but not enough so over what I already have for me to gut my order and rebuild. Again.

Much as I want to show him some support (even post-mortem, so to speak), with this one conflicting with... well... about every thing in my load order weather and water wise, I have to give it a pass. And short of the STEP lineup changing drastically, I don't think a lot of us will either, for the same reason. Shame too... it's pretty, but not enough so over what I already have for me to gut my order and rebuild. Again.

I have to agree. From videos/screenshots it looks pretty amazing, but I'd hae to ditch my WAO setup and It would still have conflicts with other mods I'm using. Maybe after some compatibility patches roll out I'll consider switching to it.

Umi was thinking about doing one because the weather is pretty much pure weather. I've been told there is literally no difference.

I cant update WAO until one of the dependent mods gets updated -which should be any time now- and Umi throws me the vanilla wao.

Hopefully, I wont be playing musical installers with NMM anymore.

The records in the weather settings show A LOT of changes, compared to PW.

I don't know enough about weather modding to offer any kind of intelligent opinion - but my hypothesis: Since Purity was originally designed to work without ENBs (it was questionable whether it would get support as a paid mod), he may have dialed in a lot of color stuff quite differently than with PW.

Umi was thinking about doing one because the weather is pretty much pure weather. I've been told there is literally no difference.

I cant update WAO until one of the dependent mods gets updated -which should be any time now- and Umi throws me the vanilla wao.

Hopefully, I wont be playing musical installers with NMM anymore.

FWIW Immersive Sounds Compendium just got updated to 1.2 :P

Edited by MosAnted

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have installation instructions for a modified STEP setup for this mod?  I'm thinking about possibly having it replace my current weather and exterior lighting mods.  Does this mod have dark nights (hopefully nearly pitch black in certain weather conditions)?

EDIT: noticed this Nexus link to - "Purity patch for Audio Overhaul Skyrim 2":

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/65319/

Edited by oqhansoloqo

My main exterior lighting and weathers mod solution is currently Realistic Lighting Overhaul.  The main problem with that is that the author of that mod tapped out of modding early due to apparently major health and personal issues, and thus never got around to covering the DLCs (EDIT - I think I was wrong, it just doesn't cover the Dragonborn DLC weathers but does cover Dawnguard).  It's a very unfortunate thing, because he did such a good job with what he did cover.  In light of this situation, I would really like to either switch to an alternative mod for covering exterior lighting and weather that is all-inclusive (covering all DLC content in addition to core game)... or, I could keep what I have and add another mod that will cover what RLO currently (and probably never will) does not.  Does anyone have advice on this matter?

I am thinking of 1 of 2 options (maybe a third too):

1.  I am thinking of possibly installing Purity instead of RLO (but that will lead me to have to do extensive review of my mod list and to have to reinstall mods that have Pure Weather/Purity installation options or patches).  This option will lead to a LOT of work, unfortunately...

2.  The alternative to this is to keep the RLO content (and maybe some other conflicting mods) that I already have installed have in place, but then install Purity on top of it.  Then go into Mod Organizer and TES5Edit and delete all Purity records that conflict with the records of any other mods that I currently have installed.  What would likely be left over would be Purity modifications for DLC content not covered by my current mod list.  Does that plan make sense, or will it likely lead to strange visual inconsistencies that just don't look right?  Any opinions on this matter would be very welcome.

3.  I was thinking of possibly replacing RLO with ELFX exteriors mod and the weather beta mod since I use ELFX and ELFX Enhancer for interior lighting, but I don't like the current status/design of ELFX weathers (I think my reservations mainly stem from how it handles sunglare).

Edited by oqhansoloqo

I was considering changing to Purity as well (Using WAO + STEP extended ATM), but that would require ditching RWT and the STEP Extended patch has dependencies on RWT which seem to much to just strip them from the pàtch, so I'd have to make a new patch from scratch :(

Which is too bad since Purity seem to do a great job with the weather and lighting. The Nights are somewhere between PureWeather's 2.2 "Brighter Nights" and "Realism" versions which look awesoe IMO. I also use ELFX + Enhancer for interior lighting.

Yeah, I wish that Purity did not include the changes to water, waterfalls, and rocks and such things...  I wish it just stuck to lighting and weather.  The fact that it includes those other changes decreases its ability to be compatible with very customized mod selections.  I haven't spent too much time examining the Purity mod yet, but do you think that some of those features (water, waterfall changes, rocks, etc) could be easy to strip out without suffering from strange visual repercussions from doing so?

OK, so I have been doing some testing and comparing.  Here's what I've done so far and what I recommend (so far):

Install Purity in MO

TES5Edit: edit Purity.esp.  Delete: Water, Static, and Worldspace>Tamriel.  (I am hesitant to touch the Solsteim Woldspace edits due to the fact that they seem to have intentionally removed a region label that may be important for Purity's weather or lighting edits done in those areas of the game, plus in my load order those edits didn't seem to affect any other mods)

MO: extract Purity.bsa in Purity mod to Purity mod directory.  Delete Purity.bsa (or hide it if you like).  Hide (or delete): textures>effects>(for now all but fxraindrops.dds, as the other textures are in conflict with RWT); textures>landscape>roads (while the new snowy icy roads look nice on their own or with the Purity snow textures, they don't work well with the STEP snow textures and those are preferred because...); textures>snow01.dds & snow02.dds (I don't think the new snow works well "AT ALL" with current STEP glacial mods so I say don't use them); textures>sky>sun.dds & sunglare.dds (purely your own judgement, but I have another preferred sun and sunglare mod that doesn't have that damned unnatural lens effect thing going on, which I HATE); texture>water (conflict with RWT)

So far that is what I determined needs to be removed/hidden.  I know there are more .esp edits to be done (or patches to be installed - AOS, or True Storms if you use that mod) and possibly some other texture/mesh removals/hides to do.  I just haven't spent the time yet to compare Purity's to STEP's with all of them.  I did compare the textures>landscape>mountains textures and I prefer Purity's to STEP's.  The reason being that Purity's rocks in general look better.  How do they look better?  Just walk down from Helgen to just above the first waterfall on the way to Riverwood and look at that rock face - compare to STEP's.  Look at a wet rock - compare to STEP's.  Do I need to say more?  OK, the only thing I don't like about Purity's rocks are that the LODs for them don't materialize as well as STEP's since the color of the detailed rock is darker than the LOD rock color.  Will this be fixed when the Dynamic LOD mod gets added to STEP?  I dunno, but maybe?...

Please let me know what you figure out.

Edited by oqhansoloqo