Purity (by Laast)

Neovalen

Hmm.  Without looking at it, but remembering what a lot of water mods do (RWT included)...  I imagine that actually removing RWT from the patch would be difficult and require a lot of TES5Editing.  I'm talking about Worldspace edits - not fun to do and not easy, because they are so damned tedious being that there are a lot of them.  That might be a lot of work, but maybe I'm wrong.

You could always try installing Purity on top of STEP and use a custom patch to resolve anything that needs resolving.  I'll tell you what though - I experimented with the notion of doing what you are asking about.  I tried to take the easy way out and left the "Pure Water" (one of the parent mods of Purity) edits in, allowing it to overwrite my installation of RWT and the STEP Patch.  The results were less than ideal for me.  I don't know if it was due to the inability of simply installing Purity afterwards and having everything be properly overwritten, or if Purity's water is just not as well done as RWT.  The place I went to see the difference between the two - down from Helgen towards Riverwood at the Warrior/Thief/Mage stones overlooking the lake/river.  The surface of the water did not blend well when I left Purity's water intact.  On the other hand, the surface of the water looked great when I circumsized the Pure Water portions of Purity out and left it all to RWT.  But all of that may just be the results of improperly overwriting - I don't know.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

Well I made the big switch today from COT, Water2, vividian, etc.  over to Purity and AIR enb, and so far it's looking very sweet.

Two questions:

Do you have an alternative version of the STEP patch? 

What's AIR enb looking like in practice? I don't find the pictures on the nexus page very attractive, but maybe the screenshots were sub-par? 

(I've been playing around with Vividian's Purity patch, I'm liking it so far.)

Well actually my current build started with Neovalen's SRLE instead of STEP.   So I haven't been using a step patch, but I have been using the REGS- SLRE patch.  It was dependent on COT esm and Water2 esp, so a actually just unchecked that patch for a bit.  I actually just now modified it and put it back in the load order and I'm about to try it out.

And yes, AIR is very good.  A bit bright outdoors in the daytime maybe, for some people, but it looks great to me.  And I didn't try Purity w/o an enb,  but I did temporarily disable enb in game and it looks way better with it enabled.   Some enb's I've tried in the past, it almost looked better without them than with them (a lot clearer for instance), and this isn't like that.  In fact Purity w/o the enb IS clearer too, but almost too stark in comparison.

**edit... actually it was the SR conflict resolution patch, not the SRLE - Regs patch, that I had to modify.

Edited by nealredding

Hmm.  Without looking at it, but remembering what a lot of water mods do (RWT included)...  I imagine that actually removing RWT from the patch would be difficult and require a lot of TES5Editing.  I'm talking about Worldspace edits - not fun to do and not easy, because they are so damned tedious being that there are a lot of them.  That might be a lot of work, but maybe I'm wrong.

You could always try installing Purity on top of STEP and use a custom patch to resolve anything that needs resolving.  I'll tell you what though - I experimented with the notion of doing what you are asking about.  I tried to take the easy way out and left the "Pure Water" (one of the parent mods of Purity) edits in, allowing it to overwrite my installation of RWT and the STEP Patch.  The results were less than ideal for me.  I don't know if it was due to the inability of simply installing Purity afterwards and having everything be properly overwritten, or if Purity's water is just not as well done as RWT.  The place I went to see the difference between the two - down from Helgen towards Riverwood at the Warrior/Thief/Mage stones overlooking the lake/river.  The surface of the water did not blend well when I left Purity's water intact.  On the other hand, the surface of the water looked great when I circumsized the Pure Water portions of Purity out and left it all to RWT.  But all of that may just be the results of improperly overwriting - I don't know.

So can I load both Pure Water and Purity on TES5Edit, and strip all the common edits on both to be left with just Pure Weather 3.0?

Not quite - there are some other edits in the Purity.esp file besides those found in Pure Water and Pure Weather also.  Someone mentioned a mod called something like "Pure Falls" that's also included - apparently it makes modifications to certain interesting waterfalls around Skyrim and places certain god statues in or near them.  Personally, I think there's enough god statues/shrines around that I didn't even bother to check out that portion of the mod and removed it as soon as I decided to strip out Pure Water.  Also make sure to extract the .bsa file in order to hide/remove the textures regarding Pure Water.

Point in fact.. if you have to adjust the gamma then your monitor does not display "properly"! :) 

Actually, today I just put my gamma back to normal (1), because I upgraded my video card driver and the newest Nvidia driver allows for full output dynamic range RGB (previously it was limiting the range, which is why YCbCr444 with gamma decreased a slight amount looked better and less washed out).  This full-range RGB mode apparently has blacker blacks than the other limited-range RGB mode, and so I am able to put my gamma back to 1 and as far as I can tell it looks just as good as the YCbCr444 color format.  So now my monitor does display properly, so to speak. (and actually, it was the previous Nvidia driver that was messing things up and limiting my monitor's ability to display shadows nicely, rather than the monitor's issue)

Edited by oqhansoloqo

Just the waterfalls would be reason enough to consider making this work alongside RW2 and COT. @Darkside, what exactly did you remove? I deleted most records that conflicted with COT or RW2 and didn't let it overwrite any RW2 textures or meshes (if there were any, I can't remember). Kept the worldspace edits, but not sure how much they will conflict. So far I've only seen like 3 waterfalls since then but my god they are stunning indeed!

From "Pure Waters - Waterfalls" Nexus mod page:

"This mod is compatible with any water mod as long as it doesn't modify waterfalls. Modded waterfalls meshes should be compatible, but I can't promise. You have to try it by yourself and report here.

Dedicated waterfalls mods such like Skyfalls and Skymills ARE NOT COMPATIBLE. Do not use it along this mod. A compatibility patch is in WIP. If you find other mod which conflict with this one, please report it.

Landscape mods may conflict with mine if they modify something around waterfalls."

It says that Skyfalls and Skymills are not compatible.  I don't know why, but you might want to investigate that before deciding to leave in the waterfalls with STEP installed, since it includes Skyfalls and Skymills.

• 2 months later...

I know it's been awhile since you posted in this this thread, but I'm just wondering if you are still using purity and if you have made any more edits and hidden anymore textures than those you have mentioned in this thread. I'm thinking about using purity with vividian ENB.

Edited by dreadflopp