Male and female Pipboy icons

GrantSP

Question

Whilst I've been working with the Pipboy icons for the mods I'm currently doing, I've noticed that there appears to be provision for male and female variants in the editor. This is for all the armour records.

Does anyone know if that actually works or is it just a leftover from other game engines?

The are a couple of records that have both these options filled, whereas in most instances the female version is blank, but they are pointing to only the one *.dds.

If this could be utilised I would gladly add in any gender specific icons to each of the types that have variants in the ingame world models.

6 answers to this question

Not quite what I was talking about. That mod simply creates female versions of ALL the current Pipboy icons so when you play as a female your VaultBoy is now a VaultGirl.

I was looking at armour that is gender specific with completely different ingame models but sharing the same generic icon. On a closer examination it does appear that this does appear to work, so e.g. You pick up 'Vera's Outfit' (FalloutNV - Honest Hearts) and in your Pipboy the icon is the female version only, but if you are playing a male and wear that outfit is is full evening suit with tails and bow-tie. I can add a male Pipboy icon that looks like an evening suit and depending on whether you are a male or female the game should only show the correct version.

Just doing a quick look through the plugins in xEdit, it appears this female/male option is only for the armour, can't be used to change the weapons and other icons based on the gender of the player's character.

Yeah exactly, only the armour is gender-specific but not all have gender-specific Pipboy icons where there is a gender-specific variant.

An example of one that does is the Stalker armour for the Dead Horses tribe. Minor though it is. Curiously though, the female armour icon still uses the VaultBoy. You'd think if they went to all the trouble of making a female version icon they could at least make it a VaultGirl!

The mod I posted has a full set of icons. All armors and weapons and other stuff. I'm saying you could use the icons from that mod, but rename them so they are different from the default ones. That would allow for both to exist I'm guessing.

The mod I posted has a full set of icons. All armors and weapons and other stuff. I'm saying you could use the icons from that mod, but rename them so they are different from the default ones. That would allow for both to exist I'm guessing.

Yeah, gotcha. Didn't mean come across as dismissive. I actually already have that mod, so I'll pick my way through and see what I can steal use.

The good thing about that mod is covers both the Fallout games.