Initialization failed: game not found

biohaaazard

Question

I seem to get the "Initialization failed: game not found" error everytime I try to start Skyrim from MO. I have tried reinstalling MO and it works for the first launch, but after that the error returns. I have also tried reinstalling skyrim and resetting the .ini files.

I'm using v.1.3.5. Never had this issue before and I can't figure out what causes it. Skyrim launches fine by its own, but nothing works through MO.

11 answers to this question

Update from the Bug Genie.

@Tannin obviously takes much more care than I do in examining these INI files. When you see the error you will wonder how such an obvious mistake was missed when we looked. Anyway, in the INI, the PATH is shown as:

gamePath=E:\\Program\\xSteam Games\\SteamApps\\common\\Skyrim

Notice the extra 'x' before 'Steam Games'? This is the instructions from the report page:

The problem is with the \x in the path name, it confuses the ini parsing code. I will have a fix in 1.3.6 but for now the user could simply rename the folder or create a junction point to a path containing no \x in its name.

First thought is a Registry Key missing.  Run "SkyrimLauncher.exe" to throw it back in the Registry.  If that ain't the problem you can try reinstalling MO.  

Delete all sub-folders under \Mod Organizer EXCEPT for These Four sub-folders: \Downloads \Mods \Overwrite \Profiles.  Then reinstall MO (7zip->Copy/Pasta).  

NOTE: this will put all settings back to default, but you will keep your Profiles/Mod Lists.

First thought is a Registry Key missing.  Run "SkyrimLauncher.exe" to throw it back in the Registry.  If that ain't the problem you can try reinstalling MO.  

Delete all sub-folders under \Mod Organizer EXCEPT for These Four sub-folders: \Downloads \Mods \Overwrite \Profiles.  Then reinstall MO (7zip->Copy/Pasta).  

NOTE: this will put all settings back to default, but you will keep your Profiles/Mod Lists.

Reinstalling MO makes it work, until MO is restarted, then it is back to the same problem. I guess I have to reinstall MO every time I run it.

What are the permissions on the MO installation folder? Since MO makes no use of the registry to store those settings it has to be something related to your settings not being saved in that folder.

After you run MO for the first time make a copy of the ModOrgnizer.ini and compare it to the original in the MO folder on subsequent runs. If they are significantly different then you may have permissions issues. Possibly that file is being set to RO for some reason.

What are the permissions on the MO installation folder? Since MO makes no use of the registry to store those settings it has to be something related to your settings not being saved in that folder.

After you run MO for the first time make a copy of the ModOrgnizer.ini and compare it to the original in the MO folder on subsequent runs. If they are significantly different then you may have permissions issues. Possibly that file is being set to RO for some reason.

I have full permissions on the MO folder and also disabled UAC

The .ini after subsequent runs looks a bit different 

Original ini: https://pastebin.com/B3d7sHnJ

Later runs: https://pastebin.com/a17MBmfc

Try going back to version 1.2.18.  1.3.x is the beta build.  Also, what do the \Mod Organizer\Logs say?

Here's a thread on the Beta: https://forum.step-project.com/topic/7184-announcement-mod-organizer-13b-the-b-is-for-beta-and-the-future-of-mo-updated-135-is-out-to-the-public/

v.1.2.18 gives the same error, and the MO logs doesn't give any indication to the problem or say anything unusual.

Your 'original' INI doesn't look right. It's missing the UI settings for what mods and plugins you have installed. Are you providing the INI from when you can load MO and start a game or just from after installing MO?

Have you moved your Skyrim from its initial installation location?

Have you also ensured it runs correctly from outside MO?

This is very confusing, it looks like a problem with Skyrim not found in the registry but you state each new install of MO finds and runs it.

Only when MO is run a subsequent time does the message show. Very weird.

OK, let's take a different tack. You have SKSE as the first selected program, so I am assuming you are running the game from MO using SKSE.

Try selecting just the vanilla game and run it from MO. Does it still error out with that message? If not then the issue is with your SKSE installation.

Your 'original' INI doesn't look right. It's missing the UI settings for what mods and plugins you have installed. Are you providing the INI from when you can load MO and start a game or just from after installing MO?

Have you moved your Skyrim from its initial installation location?

Have you also ensured it runs correctly from outside MO?

This is very confusing, it looks like a problem with Skyrim not found in the registry but you state each new install of MO finds and runs it.

Only when MO is run a subsequent time does the message show. Very weird.

OK, let's take a different tack. You have SKSE as the first selected program, so I am assuming you are running the game from MO using SKSE.

Try selecting just the vanilla game and run it from MO. Does it still error out with that message? If not then the issue is with your SKSE installation.

The .ini is from after running the game through MO and I havn't moved skyrim from its original installation folder.

Skyrim does however run fine by its own, even through SKSE. The problem is only through MO.

It also doesn't help to run Skyrim or Skyrim launcher through MO. The same error keep popping up. Even stuff like Wrye bash or LOOT does the same thing.

Edited by biohaaazard

I've filed this a bug in the Bug Genie here. If you could follow both here and in that location that would be very helpful. Any instructions provided in the Bug Genie will need to be followed through promptly so as to assist @Tannin in finding this bug.

Update from the Bug Genie.

@Tannin obviously takes much more care than I do in examining these INI files. When you see the error you will wonder how such an obvious mistake was missed when we looked. Anyway, in the INI, the PATH is shown as:

gamePath=E:\\Program\\xSteam Games\\SteamApps\\common\\Skyrim

Notice the extra 'x' before 'Steam Games'? This is the instructions from the report page:

Yup, changing the folder fixed the problem. Thanks for the help.