Skyrim INI Guide

DoubleYou

Is there any reason why iMaxDecalsPerFrame is in it's own [Display] box in the INIs guide, separate from the main one?

We transclude some of the tweaks into the main guide page, and we don't include that one, so the only way to do it was to put it in its own separate box.

Is there any reason why iMaxDecalsPerFrame is in it's own [Display] box in the INIs guide, separate from the main one?

What? Sorry, not understanding what is referenced.

how about some links? I don't know what two pages/sections are being referenced here, even after reading DY's post preceding this one.

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Skyrim_INIs

[Display]iMaxAnisotropy=0    ;Anisotropic Filtering - set this to zero, as it should be controlled via the graphics driver.iMultiSample=4    ;Antialiasing - keep the value set by the Skyrim Launcher for nowiPresentInterval=1    ;this setting has no impact and should be DELETED and placed inside Skyrim.ini instead.bTreesReceiveShadows=1    ;Enables shadows rendering on trees (insignificant performance impact)bDrawLandShadows=1    ;Enables shadows rendering on land (insignificant performance impact)bFloatPointRenderTarget=0    ;Set to 'one' if using deferred shader rendering ENB lighting (NOT supported by STEP). 
[Display]iMaxDecalsPerFrame=256    ;increases the number of blood decals per scene (from "Enhanced Blood Textures")

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Added this blurb for sScreenShot based on findings in the CTD When Pressing "Print Screen" to take screenshot. I think it's a bad idea that this defaults to saving screenshots in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim but this is the default. I think the specific cause of the CTD in this case is lack of write permissions.

sScreenShotBaseName
Defines the prefix used for screenshot files and optionally the path where screenshot files are saved. It is recommended to set a specific path so screenshots are not saved in Skyrim's executable directory.
Default is ScreenShot so screenshots are saved in Skyrim's executable folder as ScrenShot1.bmp, ScreenShot2.bmp, ..., ScreenShot65535.bmp.
sScreenShotBaseName=string

Example:
sScreenShotBaseName=C:\Users\username\Pictures\Skyrim\ScreenShot

On a semi-related note, does anyone know the maximum value for iScreenShotIndex (in [Display] in SkyrimPrefs.ini) and what happens if this setting reaches the maximum value? Offhand, I think it should be a 32-bit signed integer and I'm curious if anyone knows whether it magically rolls over to 1, rolls over to negative values, or causes an integer overflow exception?

Skyrim built-in screenshot mechanism is buggy, so I typically use Fraps or similar to take my screenies. Thanks for the contribution. I very much doubt that there is a limit on iScreenShotIndex that can be realistically reached.

Well, for those of us with inquiring minds that need to know... the answer is pretty much as expected. I set iScreenShotIndex=2147483647 (0x7FFFFFFF), started Skyrim on the left monitor, and started pressing F12 while watching the screenshot folder on the right monitor. The screenshots are taken in this order:

ScreenShot2147483647.bmp
ScreenShot-2147483648.bmp
ScreenShot-2147483647.bmp
ScreenShot-2147483646.bmp
ScreenShot-2147483645.bmp
ScreenShot-2.bmp
ScreenShot-1.bmp
ScrenShot0.bmp
ScreenShot1.bmp

In other words, Skyrim is incrementing a signed integer by one so it rolls over into negative numbers as indicated by the minus sign. After it finally reaches -1, it rolls over to 0.

So, yeah, I seriously doubt anyone would take 4,294,967,295 screenshots in BMP format.

• 1 month later...

Filled in the [Menu] section with the exception of rDebugTextColor. I toggled various "debug" functions but I don't see any debug text.

I also experimented with bUseNavMeshForMovement in the [Actor] section with no noticeable difference that I could see. I started a fight with Lydia in Breezehome and watched her maneuver around the furniture, started a fight with the Whiterun guards so they would chase me all over the Whiterun interior. As far I could tell, the behavior is the same.