Skyrim INI Guide

DoubleYou

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just discovered that at least one INI tweak will not take effect unless used on a new game: bDisableAutoVanityMode in [Camera]. Now if we could look inside the save file and find out what all tweaks this might affect somehow, that would be most useful. What that does show, however, is that some settings that I previously thought did nothing have a slight chance of doing something on a new game.

Hey DoubleYou, thanks for an awesome guide.

I remember reading from a couple different sources that FOV changes for aspect ratios will randomly change back to default values (even if the .INIs are set to read-only - and I think I remember reading that you recommend against setting these files to read-only).

fDefault1stPersonFOV=81

fDefaultFOV=81

fDefaultWorldFOV=81

Is this an issue that you have found, in your testing? I think I would trust your word over any other sources, as I think you have put more time into testing the .INIs than anyone else in the community.

Secondly, is it possible to remove the recommendations from the main STEP guide, and the Skyrim Configuration Settings guide to use the MO Configuration tool? Instead, a recommendation could be inserted to always copy and paste from the guide.

I remember reading about some issues that could come up when using the Configurator...for example, the one setting that Bethesda threw into SkyrimPrefs.ini when it should have been in Skyrim.in (can't remember the specifics off the top of head).

Anyway, thanks again!

Cheers,

Nebulous

Edited by Nebulous112

The Configurator doesn't have that problem. There are relatively few bugs with the Configurator. I prefer editing the file directly, as you say, but some may not. To each their own. I intend to code my own tool eventually. I'm learning Python so that it can be a MO plugin (it won't be like the configurator -- I'm thinking more performance slider with tweaks).

The fov tweaks, I think, can get changed in some quests I think. I think that they also only work on a new save. I just use the console fov # to change fov at will.

Regarding the MO Configurator - I must be conflating two separate issues into one. I do remember someone having some issue regarding .INIs, and you responding with advice to not use the Configurator, and to manually edit the files. I quickly read through this topic and the SkyrimPrefs topic, and I couldn't find the exchange...it must have been another topic, or even another forum. Anyway, if there aren't many issues with the Configurator, so much the better. :)

Regarding the FOV tweaks...I wonder if this would be a perfect use of the SkyrimCustom.ini or the MO .ini tweaks. I have always wondered why either would be needed, but perhaps this would fix the problem of the FOV tweaks resetting. Researching this, I have continually ran into various sources advising to just use the console command every time one plays the game, but I have always thought there must be some way to permanently deal with it.

I like to set things up (the right way) once, then forget about it and just play the game. One console command at the beginning of each play session isn't the end of the world, but it is surely annoying. More so when I forget about it, and after a few minutes start scratching my head when something doesn't seem quite right. Lol.

Thanks again,

Nebulous

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[VATS]

I'm finding my vat kills are too close , when in first person view , the vat kill is right on top of the NPC , hard too see the action

and dragon Vats are rare, have not noicted one for a while after making some changes to my Vats , no-idea what ..lol

Just trying to get the best VATS , happening , cheers

This is my VATS section[spoiler=My Current Vats][VATS]
fVATSCastingAfterKillDelay=1.2000
fVATSRangedPercentSneakKill = 100.0
bVATSForceRanged = 1
bVATSMultipleCombatants = 1
fVATSRangedPercentMin = 100.0
fVATSRangedPercentTargetNoThreat = 100.0

This is in the Guide https://wiki.step-project.com/User:DoubleYou/sandbox/Skyrim_INI

[VATS] ;Increase ranged killcam frequency (or disable killcams)fVATSCastingAfterKillDelay=1.2000uVATSRangedPercentSneak=100uVATSRangedPercentGlobal=100bVATSMultipleCombatants=1bVATSForceRanged=1bVATSDisable=1       ;enable(0) or disable (1) killcams

These are Vats settings I have found , searching other Players have posted and are using in their ini

[spoiler=Other players VATS][vats]
fVATSRangedLongDistance=2500.0000
fVATSRangedPercentMin=50.0000
fVATSRangedTargetLowLevelMult=0.3000
fVATSRangedPercentTargetNoThreat=10.0000
fVATSRangedPercentSneakKill=20.0000
fVATSRangedLowHealthPercent=5.0000
bVATSRangedSelective=1
bVATSIgnoreProjectileTest=0

Edited by sutex