Is Windows 10 a viable option with the games we currently have?

GrantSP

As of today I now have a small notification in my taskbar from Microsoft advising me of their next OS and offering it to me for free.

Going by past records this OS is most likely to fall into Microsoft's 'good' releases, historically they tended to go in a regular: good -- bad -- good -- bad -- good, with Win7, which I currently have, being 'good' and Win8/Win8.1 being 'bad'. Is that how you users have seen it? Those with Win8/8.1 and perhaps those with pre-release versions of Win10.

My laptop is more than capable of using it apparently so I am considering it, but since I use it primarily for gaming, or gaming related activities, I'd like to know of any pitfalls or oddities that may arise.

Any ideas as to the pros/cons of this OS upgrade?

I have been using it for two-ish months and I like it. There are issues with the start menu randomly changing for some reason, Visual Studio redist packages breaking and applications just stop working.

Folder permissions are a pain but I got around it by making a folder in the root and having all folders, sub folders and files inherit Everyone permissions that have full control.

7zip just doesnt work, I use Banizip and it is better in my opinion.

I hope this makes sense. 

If youre using 8.1 then why havent you upgraded to win 10. 

Going by past records this OS is most likely to fall into Microsoft's 'good' releases, historically they tended to go in a regular: good -- bad -- good -- bad -- good, with Win7, which I currently have, being 'good' and Win8/Win8.1 being 'bad'. Is that how you users have seen it? Those with Win8/8.1 and perhaps those with pre-release versions of Win10.

I agree with this 100%. XP=good, Vista=bad, Windows 7=good, Windows 8=bad, Windows 10=??? This tends to be the case because Microsoft re-invents their OS. Then they take that re-invention and improve upon all the bad with it which produces a rather good OS. Vista was the re-invention from XP and Windows 7 was all the improvements over Vista. Windows 8 was the re-invention from Windows 7. So following that logic, Windows 10 should be all the improvements over Windows 8 and thus being the one that everyone should upgrade to.

Windows 8/8.1 was bad and I had bad experiences with it which caused me to downgrade back to Windows 7. I haven't tried 10 yet, but I did sign up for the free upgrade. It'll most likely be the next version of Windows that overtakes Windows 7 eventually.

What about 7zip doesn't work? That's a fairly important tool in anyone's system. Is it just the UI part because if it is the actual archive code that would impact on other tools like MO which use their library?

Visual Studio issues may be a pain. I've only now just got my coding tools re-installed and have been messing around with some projects, god I hate coding, I now remember why I keep quitting! Still, I want to try and get some of the code in the MO project compiling on my system to see what, if anything, I can do.

The beautiful thing about this OS upgrade this time around is the price. Combine that with the time we have to decide (NEXT year...) and so long as it plays out, it's not like we're in a time crunch. I think, so long as it avoids the driver problems that plagued Vista when it hit, and avoids the horrific tablet-ish UI of 8 (WHAT WERE THEY THINGKING?! IF THEY WERE!), this will work out. As noted - MS does seem to have a good-bad pattern, and this SHOULD be the good one.

Time will tell... actually, customers will tell. I'll just listen.

Personally liked 8/8.1, especially the back end. User interface was kinda meh tho, so if 10 has the backend improvement with improved ui then great. Essential things like 7z not working worries me though.

I cannot confirm as I haven't tested it yet, but according to the 7-Zip website, 7z is supposed to work with Windows 10.

I was talking about the file manager. It may have changed but when I was testing it, it wouldn't open on any of the associated files.

7z as an archive tool works fine. 

The beautiful thing about this OS upgrade this time around is the price. Combine that with the time we have to decide (NEXT year...) and so long as it plays out, it's not like we're in a time crunch. I think, so long as it avoids the driver problems that plagued Vista when it hit, and avoids the horrific tablet-ish UI of 8 (WHAT WERE THEY THINGKING?! IF THEY WERE!), this will work out. As noted - MS does seem to have a good-bad pattern, and this SHOULD be the good one.

Time will tell... actually, customers will tell. I'll just listen.

The tablet UI is 100% separate. You have to enable it to have the weird UI.

On the "store" and some applications, the scroll up and down is used to scroll rows which is weird because I have a perfectly good tilt left/right that is unused in the OS

I think I will upgrade when possible, the next big decision then will be whether to ditch Chrome and go with their fancy new 'Spartan' or 'Edge' or whatever it is they will call it. Just from a few preview videos and reading the blurb it looks a good option.

sparten boots fast but is slow navigating.

I've stuck with chrome because Im on a desktop so I don't care about memory and power consumption but I also watch a lot of 1080p 60fps videos so that influences my decision a lot.

Considering how insanely rushed Windows 10 is, I think I will wait a few months. From what I read, there will be some semi-major features coming significantly later after release - possibly stuff that was supposed to be in the original release.

Been running Windows 8.1 for the last few months it is flakey and Skyrim and the Fallout games seem less stable despite me having much better hardware than my old Windows 7 system. I won't be upgrading to Windows 10 for at least 3 months after launch but for those foolish bold early adopters who must install on day one, I thank you for your sacrifice.

I am not concerned with 7Zip not working at this point it is still to early.