Windows 10 - Overall Review and Modding

TechAngel85

• 2 weeks later...

So far Win10 seems stable. I have been using it for all my Skyrim stuff. About a month and a half of play and mod testing. 

The install is an upgrade and for me I was lucky nothing bad happened. The same PIN login that I normally use was waiting for me after the upgrade.

The win10 menu is annoy but nothing that classic menu can't fix. The new search feature seem a bit lacking. Stuff I know is on the computer it did not find. Using the Classic Menu search and can usually find what I was looking for.

Windows APP feature seems to be hidden mostly. Anything that I use to use comes up on the regular desk top.

I did run into one problem having to do with the sound. My main set of speaker did not work. For some reason the Real Tec HD decided to change the setting after the install.

Still not working like it should but I have surround sound and keyboard volume control. The mystery of my it thinks no speaker are plugged in will have to wait for some very rainy day for me to address.

Anyone staying on Win 7 or 8 .. watch out for some sneaky updates which have probably already happened :

Windows 10 data gathering features are being backported to older OS

What the ****......

Literally NOWHERE is safe now except Linux. I might just finally say **** modding, install Linux, and only play Dota 2 for the rest of my life.

So in order to be able to install Windows 10, I must perform the upgrade first and activate it afterwards? Then I can just use a generic W10 key to install the system from an iso, and it will activate itself? Or will I somehow get a new personal key I will be using?

I checked Windows Update and found KB3087608 in the list of updates waiting to be installed on Windows 7, so I hid it and will key an eye out for the others. I'll check Windows 8.1 on my laptop later today.

So in order to be able to install Windows 10, I must perform the upgrade first and activate it afterwards? Then I can just use a generic W10 key to install the system from an iso, and it will activate itself? Or will I somehow get a new personal key I will be using?

After the upgrade I believe it uses your hardware id to activate. I did a clean install after the update and didn't need to key in a code.

After the upgrade I believe it uses your hardware id to activate. I did a clean install after the update and didn't need to key in a code.

Same for me ... there is a VB script to get your Win activation key. I initially upgraded, found my new key using the script, then clean installed using that new key. It did not take, so proceeded without entering a key, and Win 10 was activated even without the key after clean install.

Now what if I were to buy a new computer or replace hardware in my existing box?? ... probably run into probs.

I've always bought OEM versions and have not had any issues with upgrading hardware. The gotcha is that at some point the automated activation over the internet will fail, but calling the 800 number to do the activation over the phone always worked.

At least in the past (likely mostly still true), Microsoft used the following 8 categories for determining the hardware ID, but I've never had to re-activate due to optical or hard drive changes/additions:

• Display Adapter
  • SCSI Adapter
  • IDE Adapter
  • Network Adapter (including the MAC Address)
  • RAM Amount Range (e.g. 0-512 MB)
  • Processor Type and Serial Number
  • Hard Drive Device and Volume Serial Number
  • Optical Drive (e.g. CD-ROM)

The few times I've built systems completely from scratch (versus upgrading here and there), I ended up upgrading the OS as well, so I don't have any experience in that regard. But I do a couple things to make it easier.

1. After I do a fresh install of the OS, I update it, then image the OS drive with Clonezilla (most any imaging software will work). No additional software installs, so it is pristine minus the Microsoft security/recommended updates. Re-installing the OS is then just a matter of restoring the image, and no re-activation is required.
  2. If changing hardware, I always boot into the existing OS afterword, and let it re-activate. If the automated re-activation failed (very rare if existing OS), I would call the 800 number and be activated within 5 minutes. Then proceed with a new disk image.

Likewise, I've also re-installed the OS with no changes in hardware and had not had any problems with activation.

I've always bought OEM versions and have not had any issues with upgrading hardware. The gotcha is that at some point the automated activation over the internet will fail, but calling the 800 number to do the activation over the phone always worked.

At least in the past (likely mostly still true), Microsoft used the following 8 categories for determining the hardware ID, but I've never had to re-activate due to optical or hard drive changes/additions:

• Display Adapter
  • SCSI Adapter
  • IDE Adapter
  • Network Adapter (including the MAC Address)
  • RAM Amount Range (e.g. 0-512 MB)
  • Processor Type and Serial Number
  • Hard Drive Device and Volume Serial Number
  • Optical Drive (e.g. CD-ROM)

The few times I've built systems completely from scratch (versus upgrading here and there), I ended up upgrading the OS as well, so I don't have any experience in that regard. But I do a couple things to make it easier.

1. After I do a fresh install of the OS, I update it, then image the OS drive with Clonezilla (most any imaging software will work). No additional software installs, so it is pristine minus the Microsoft security/recommended updates. Re-installing the OS is then just a matter of restoring the image, and no re-activation is required.
  2. If changing hardware, I always boot into the existing OS afterword, and let it re-activate. If the automated re-activation failed (very rare if existing OS), I would call the 800 number and be activated within 5 minutes. Then proceed with a new disk image.

Likewise, I've also re-installed the OS with no changes in hardware and had not had any problems with activation.

I do same and have same XP (except I use DriveImageXML & Runtime Live CD for imaging/restoratoring). I am not sure if they are still using the 800 number service, but it was always a PITA to enter in all those digits and wait for the read back of the crazy-long code.

• 2 weeks later...

My first impression when I tested it on my laptop was that it was one giant Tracking Software Program. I couldn't be more disappointed and so far I see no reason to upgrade my gaming computer which runs win7.

I have been so busy since the release that I easn't aware of this so thank you for the info. I hope you will continue to post about this so we can all learn what updates to block!!!

What the ****......

Literally NOWHERE is safe now except Linux. I might just finally say **** modding, install Linux, and only play Dota 2 for the rest of my life.

There are lots of good games to play on Linux. Morrowind, KOTOR 1&2 o name a couple... but yeah, I feel you :(

I checked Windows Update and found KB3087608 in the list of updates waiting to be installed on Windows 7, so I hid it and will key an eye out for the others. I'll check Windows 8.1 on my laptop later today.

This is amazing and probably should have it's own thread where you can keep updating the top post. I too will do some sleuthing on my end...

alt3rn1ty - thank you for those links.  Valuable info that I put to use.

Yes thank you all for this thread :)

• 3 weeks later...

Goddamn Windows Update.  I have Windows 7.  I've been removing and preventing the Windows 10 updates and telemetry updates from my computer for a while now.  I just realized that back on October 6th that they had reinstalled KB3035583 again on my computer after I had removed it and hid it previously.  They also tried to automatically check the tickbox for "Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro" (which happened to be in "Optional" updates - optional my ass...) whenever I clicked "Check for updates".  Jerkoffs...