Windows 10 - Overall Review and Modding

TechAngel85

Just got done rolling back from 10 to 7. All my games seemed to run fine under 10 and, honestly, the AMD Crimson drivers for Win 10 gave me an across the board FPS increase on my little HD-7770 2GB. Not sure why.

Unfortunately, my machine experienced freezing in Skyrim. It was the old "stop, but music still plays" freeze. Digging around in the system logs and I noticed that updates were occurring when I experienced the freezes. Not enough info for a statistical correlation, so I wonder if anyone else is experiencing the freeze in Win 10.

I rolled back because Win 10 seems like the Beta software release of a system I don't want; a tablet OS. Can't uninstall some apps without Powershell. Apps integrated with the OS (Edge and Cortana). Simply unbelievable data collection with the "Everyone else does it" rationale (Lemming Excuse). Spammed error logs with no solutions to the "problems" (makes it feel like beta software). I'm a Linux guy and only game on Windows, so BASH was an interesting addition.

Microsoft's effective monopoly allows them to impose their data mining and advertising philosophy will little user recourse. I couldn't stop several apps from eating up metered bandwidth with "telemetry" without disabling tasks or uninstalling entire packages, which adversely impacted system operation (ie, Cortana and Search). I spent much time taking ownership of files and folders because of the highly restrictive ACL's in Win 10, even on my Admin account. I want an OS that helps me manage my system, not interfere with that process. All-in-all, I'll stick with Windows 7 as long as I can. I have no use for device integration, nor integrated apps. I just don't see Win 10 as an OS; its a simple digital device manager, IMHO.

Thank the Divines for Slackware Linux.

Edited by Searcher7

• 1 month later...

I have W10Pro for 6 months now, and its a nice update from W7. I just dislike hate the warning pop-up when raising volume with headphones. But one think that Microsoft really needs to change is the outdated NTFS!

Untill all the great game companies change their softwares from using directx dlls to shader dlls, we have to sticks with Windows, but some day in a very distant future, maybe Linux will be a game plataform... at least Valve belives in that!

• 8 months later...

Just found out today that MS is stopping support/updates for Win7/8.1 if they are using the newer CPUs, ie. AMD Ryzen or Intel Kaby Lake or newer.

Barnacules Nerdgasm has a video that explains all the details as well as links, that I'll duplicate here, to the official MS reasons.

Tom's Hardware's topic.

MS's posting about this.

To all users of Win 7/8.1 that still refuse to use Win10 all I can say is update and follow the details to disable ALL telemetry.

Funny thing is that I said, "Microsoft is now trying to force users to upgrade" before I even watched that video. I totally agree with that guy. Windows 7 is such a great OS that users simply don't want or need to upgrade. I'll do it only when I have no other choice but to upgrade. I'm currently still running on a Haswell i5 K series that I have yet to find a reason to overclock so I'll likely have Windows 7 until the Extended Support ends in 2020.

I am upgrading my video card, though. I just purchased a GTX 1060 which will arrive in a couple days.

Enjoy your Linux OS, from the rest of us gaming in the future with the best hardware we will miss you.

I have one word for you:

Vulkan

(and yes, I know things are slow moving on this front.  in the end it comes down to the fact that I don't play games much anymore.  I mostly write code.)

Edited by Mator
  • +1 1

Well I play games like Hitman which don't support Vulcan. DX12 gives me like 10-20% increase in FPS over DX11. On top of that, I use a crap load of programs that don't have support/have poor support for Linux. I guess for your needs Mator, it's a fairly feasible prospect no doubt. I'd love to see Linux become more mainstream so as to ditch Microsoft, but if someone like your average gamer can't see a reason to switch, then it will never truly take off.

Vulcan is amazing though, it's basically "console magic on PC" in my weird terms. By that I mean consoles have very little overhead. At least I think so. :P

The thing about Microsoft though, is that with DX12, they've introduced a multi GPU option that would enable me to almost double my FPS with an RX 480 combined with a GTX780 set as secondary, as long as the game supports multi GPU (and a couple already do)