Windows 10 - Overall Review and Modding

TechAngel85

I meant to quote one of the earlier posts, but accidentally hit the report button instead of the quote button and didn't realize until I'd typed up my reply and hit the submit button. So sorry to the mods and to the guy who I accidentally reported.

I'm not going to type it all back out again, but suffice it to say that if backdoors are everywhere - and they totally are - there's no point in worrying about them. It's a lost cause. The horse has fled the barn, the milk has been spilt and the genie is out of the bottle. Forget about it and enjoy your burrito.

https://xkcd.com/1269/

This is getting really off-topic. If you wish to talk about cyber security differences in software, etc., please make a new thread. This thread is talking about testing the viability of Windows 10 for gamers, especially that of modding Skyrim and the Bethesda games.

I heard that I might be able to play XBOX games on my computer with Windows 10. Is this true?

I heard that I might be able to play XBOX games on my computer with Windows 10. Is this true?

What Kessno said. Basically, Microsoft is putting all of their gaming stuff under the Xbox monicker, which is in line with their push for universality in their products. Also, it sounds like Microsoft might be more focused on PC gaming soon!

I grabbed the pre-release version 10130 last night and installed it in a VM. I have to tell you, I'm actually pleasantly surprised. Even in a VM environment it loads and runs very 'snappily'. I like the whole Metro styling, even the file management isn't as bad as I remembered from previous versions. I long ago gave up doing any file management with Windows default explorer windows and use purpose designed tools like Multi Commander.

I'm going to spend a bit of time later this morning doing some Spartan/Edge testing. Hoping any roughness will just be pre-release stuff.

"Windows 10 extends the Xbox experience with game streaming. Play your Xbox One games on a desktop, laptop, or tablet in your home on your local Wi-Fi.*

*Stream to one device at a time with supported games."

Here's the webpage where I got the information.

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/windows-10

That's not the same as putting an Xbox game in your PC and playing it so don't get your hopes up. The streaming I read about. Basically, buy an Xbox and stream the game to your PC over your home network. It's basically going to be a clone of what Nvidia already has with Nvidia GRID and the Shield. Nothing new or innovative here.

I grabbed the pre-release version 10130 last night and installed it in a VM. I have to tell you, I'm actually pleasantly surprised. Even in a VM environment it loads and runs very 'snappily'. I like the whole Metro styling, even the file management isn't as bad as I remembered from previous versions. I long ago gave up doing any file management with Windows default explorer windows and use purpose designed tools like Multi Commander.

I'm going to spend a bit of time later this morning doing some Spartan/Edge testing. Hoping any roughness will just be pre-release stuff.

That's been my experience too. It "feels" faster than Windows 7 even and is very close to XP speed if not matching it. I don't mind the new style on everything. The start menu I miss a bit, but it's manageable.

Fiddled around a bit with 'Edge' (the browser, not U2's guitarist. ::D: ) It seems it's internal code is more closely related to Chrome than IE and it seems to tell installer pages that it is Chrome when there are multiple version downloads. I use Ghostery as my ad-blocker/plugin-blocker of choice and when you go to install it, the Chrome option is selected but unfortunately that takes you to Google's App store where it is more aware of the browser and directs you to install Chrome. Ahh well.

Didn't spend too much time with other plugins as I suspect there is a ton of work still to be done with Edge. I'm not giving up on MS pulling something out of the fire just yet. Call me an optimist! (or a lunatic, I don't mind)

Very happy this thread exists. I may put 10 on my laptop (damn thing runs Windows 8 anyways) but I am having doubts as to whether my gaming desktop will see it.

"Project Spartan" sounds like their trying hard to sound edgy, then just said eff it and renamed it "Edge"

Edited by TehKaoZ

Fiddled around a bit with 'Edge' (the browser, not U2's guitarist. ::D: ) It seems it's internal code is more closely related to Chrome than IE and it seems to tell installer pages that it is Chrome when there are multiple version downloads. I use Ghostery as my ad-blocker/plugin-blocker of choice and when you go to install it, the Chrome option is selected but unfortunately that takes you to Google's App store where it is more aware of the browser and directs you to install Chrome. Ahh well.

Didn't spend too much time with other plugins as I suspect there is a ton of work still to be done with Edge. I'm not giving up on MS pulling something out of the fire just yet. Call me an optimist! (or a lunatic, I don't mind)

The May 1 blog post on the Microsoft Edge Dev Blog states the plugin model is still a work in progress and I haven't seen any mention of progress in this area on the blog so far.

Thus Microsoft Edge provides no support for VML, VB Script, Toolbars, BHOs, or ActiveX.

To enable extensibility beyond what is provided by HTML5, we are working on plans for a modern, HTML/JS-based extension model.

Edited by Greg

Tech, how customizable is the interface? I guess you can probably change desktop icons like in any other version, but what about the general style? It's so horribly flat it reminds me of... not even XP, more like 95 with washed out colours as a bonus. Getting anywhere close to the look of 7 is probably impossible, but how much can be achieved?

Tech, how customizable is the interface? I guess you can probably change desktop icons like in any other version, but what about the general style? It's so horribly flat it reminds me of... not even XP, more like 95 with washed out colours as a bonus. Getting anywhere close to the look of 7 is probably impossible, but how much can be achieved?

About as customizable as Windows 8 which is mainly limited to changing colors and the theme. I can see where you're saying it seems flat, but I personally like it. It feels more modern, imo, and modern is one of the design styles I like. You might be able to get it closer to a Windows 7 look with a theme, but I haven't looked into it. As for the darker theme with contrasting colors, well...I love it. I have my Windows 7 set up to much of the same darkened theme. I find it easier on the eyes for long time frames where you're sitting looking at the screen.

After some testing the game runs good, but I have some unstable parts. I am getting a CTD after some time playing and I can't really narrow it down since there are some aspects of the setup that are outdated, like the STEP Patch. So narrowing it down will be difficult. I'm going to copy over my setup from Windows 7 as I'm getting some other oddities like LODs not loading right unless I get closer to them. So copying my setup from Windows 7 will be my best bet as I've tweaked that setup to near perfection. I'll report back once I've done this and have played a bit more.

Word of caution to those thinking about a dual-boot. Windows 10 boot screen will take control of the mouse and keyboard and will not release it when booting into Windows 7. To fix, change the default OS to Windows 7, load it, reset your computer and then when the default boot loader takes over and you choose to boot into Windows 7 you should have control of your mouse and keyboard again.