.32 Snub Nose mesh missing - Red box w/ Exclamation point

SpudBug

Question

Ive completed the STEP guide for modding Fallout 3.

Im using almost all the mods from the clear and present danger guide. Only a few of the mods related to some optional clothing i skipped. 

The only issue i have is that anyone that has a .32 pistol equipped also has a large red box indicating a missing texture or mesh.

I've isolated it to this weapon because when i kill an NPC and take the pistol from their inventory, it's gone. When i equip the pistol, it appears, and when I drop the pistol, there's a red box over the item on the ground.

How can i resolve this? should i just use a mod that removes the red boxes, and ignore this low level weapon?

Edited by SpudBug

12 answers to this question

It depends which mods from the guide you are using. If you use the Millenia .32 pistol mod you need to make sure that all the meshes and textures from the associated Fallout NV mod (as stated in the guide) are included in the package you install in FO3. If you are comfortable using FO3Edit, look at the .32 pistol in Fallout3.esm and see which plugins other than FWE ones affect this weapon.

it looks like FWE is affecting it, and CALIBR.esm.

I reinstalled and made sure to follow the directions for the xCALIBR ammo mod.

What's weird is the guide says to move CALIBR.esm to optional mods but when i do that the game crashes. I had to enable it even though the guide says to disable it.

Edited by SpudBug

The version of Calibr.esm from exCalibr ammo eXpansion pack should not be needed. When the first FWE file was installed it should have included Calibr.esm.

Calibr.esm should never affect any weapons, only ammunition. The .32 pistol weapon should be affected by Fallout.esm. the main FWE ESM ,and the FWE Main file esp. No other mod, except the bashed patch if you have one, should affect it. Follow the guide and remove the one from exCalibr ammo eXpansion pack and make sure the one from FWE is present, and see if CALIBR.esm still affects the pistol.

FWE doesn't change the 'meshes\Weapons\1HandPistol\32SnubNose.NIF' file used for the 32 Pistol; the version in the vanilla Fallout 3 BSAs is used. You might want to try using Steam to check the local cache in case Fallout-meshes.bsa has an error.

You state you fixed the problem but when asked to provide details on what you did, you don't offer them and then say you give up!

Surely you must see the difficulty involved in trying to provide support to users that don't provide very much feedback? This guide has been followed by hundreds, if not thousands, of users that have no issues like those you describe.

The guide it self is just that, a guide. You say you didn't follow it to the letter but don't give much back in a way to diagnose what might be wrong.

I'm very sorry for your frustration but the guide, when followed, does work and is far from a waste of time.

I was going to ask you to post your mod and plugin lists but since you have said you've deleted everything!

Bringing this back from the dead, but I figured I should comment the solution that worked for me in case others find this.

TL;DR - the cause I found for this mesh error was because I skipped the mod "32 revolver Millenia replacer" in the STEP guide. Once I installed that as instructed by the guide, the red exclamation box went away.
--------------------
I just finished going through the STEP guide and found the same issue when I came across Sara Silver in Springvale and Jenny Stahl in Megaton (and I'm sure others too, but they are the only ones I noticed before fixing). The red box with an exclamation point appears when there's a missing mesh, not texture, as others have said.

Like SpudBug, I found out that it was isolated to the .32 pistol that both of them had in their inventory after killing them and taking it.

Looking over the mods I installed from the STEP guide, I installed some of the individual weapon mods and the last mod from the section "Millenia's Weapon Retextures" (Millenia's Weapons for FWE), but I did not install the .32 pistol mod, 32 revolver Millenia replacer, because I figured I wouldn't use this weapon anyways. But now seeing that the description of Millenia's Weapons for FWE says that it covers the .32 revolver reskin mod, I installed the ".32 revolver Millenia replacer" mod -- following the STEP guide to also get the FNV mod and make the file tree changes -- and the exclamation marks are no more.