New to Tes5edit, trying to remove STEP Extended Patch reference?

Vanusk

Question

Hello, I come with yet again another problem regarding my installation.

As a quick statement, I'd like to just go ahead and state yes I am using an older version of STEP. I know this probably entitles me to less support than someone who is more up to date, but I still have a problem I can't seem to solve nonetheless. Anyway, on to my issue.

I'm running a mostly stock setup of STEP 2.2.8, and I'm really quite satisfied with the most of the mod selection it offers. However, that being said, I'm attempting to exchange Ars Metallica for Complete Crafting Overhaul. And seeing as Skyrim won't launch with missing masters... The STEP Extended patch is giving me a spot of trouble.

I'm aware that Tes5edit can be used to remedy this situation but I have no idea how to go about doing so. I was hoping perhaps someone could help me? Any assistance offered would be greatly appreciated.

I feel like system specs aren't really required for this particular problem, but I'll provide them anyway:

i5 3570k

8gb DDR3 1600

Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (G1 rev 1.1 model)

9 answers to this question

To add to what Double-You said, there is a script included with TES5Edit that will list all records in a plugin which reference another specific (master) plugin.

The name of the script is List records referencing specific plugin.

In the left-hand pane of TES5Edit, right-click on the name of the plugin that you want to remove a master from, and select Apply Script in the pop-up contextual menu. Next, click the pop-up list button next to "Script:" to see the list of available scripts, and select List records referencing specific plugin. Then, click the [OK] button.

You will get a small dialogue box asking you to enter the Hexidecimal load order of references to search for. What you need to sype here is the load order prefix for the master plugin that you want to remove. For example, if you want to remove Dawnguard as a master to the plugin, look for the value in square brackets next to the name over in the left-hand pane of TES5Edit. In the case of using the unofficial patches, you should see [03] Dawnguard.esm, which means you want to type 03 in the scripts dialogue box.

Then click [OK] and TES5Edit's messages tab will output a list of any references to the plugin corresponding to the hexidecimal load order value that are are found in the plugin you ran the script on.

Each reference will list the EditorID (if there is one) and then the FormID for the record in which the master reference was found. You just need to copy that FormID and paste it into the FormID search text box, located in the upper-left corner of TES5Edit's main window, and hit return to go directly to view that record. It may start off showing you an instance of the record in an earlier-loading plugin, so over in the right-hand pane, find the column for the plugin you are working on removing masters from, and then right-click on the name of that plugin at the top of the column, and choose Jump to so that you select the override for that FormID in the plugin that you are working on.

Alternatively, you can manually search through the plugin you're working on to find each of the listed records in the messages tab.

Sorry if it sounds a bit complicated, but it is far far easier to find references to a master that you want to remove by using this script.

Or just hold Ctrl and double click on a FormID number in messages pane :)

Never ever remove masters manually from the plugin's header unless you need a broken useless plugin. Use script mentioned above to find what ties plugin to particular master file, resolve those records, and when nothing left in plugin that depends on a master, right click on it and select "Clean Masters".

These two comments will help you.

Wow, thanks for the rather quick responses. I must admit that I saw those threads, but was perhaps too hasty in reviewing their information. My bad, really. So I removed the reference, but it still says it is missing a master in Mod Organizer. So uh... What do I do about that?

Edit: I right-clicked and selected "Clean Masters". I think that did it? If that was the wrong thing to do, please let me know.

Edited by Vanusk

Wow, thanks for the rather quick responses. I must admit that I saw those threads, but was perhaps too hasty in reviewing their information. My bad, really. So I removed the reference, but it still says it is missing a master in Mod Organizer. So uh... What do I do about that?

Edit: I right-clicked and selected "Clean Masters". I think that did it? If that was the wrong thing to do, please let me know.

First of all, did you run the "List records referencing specific plugin" script on the STEP Extended Patch?

First of all, did you run the "List records referencing specific plugin" script on the STEP Extended Patch?

Yep, did that, found the reference, killed it, then "Clean Masters" 'd the STEP Extended Patch.

Skyrim is launching now, so you know, I guess it worked. It didn't until I did the "Clean Masters", but now it is. I just wanted to make sure that was the right thing to do.

Edited by Vanusk

Yep, did that, found the reference, killed it, then "Clean Masters" 'd the STEP Extended Patch.

Skyrim is launching now, so you know, I guess it worked. It didn't until I did the "Clean Masters", but now it is. I just wanted to make sure that was the right thing to do.

Good good. I'ld advise to check the plugin for errors. Just to make sure everything is OK.