When I launch Oblivion through MO, it does not use the profile INI changes I made, nor will it save the game to the profile's save folder
I'll give as many details as I can below. I admit at the end I was just floundering around and trying everything I could think of, and following along any suggestions in forum posts here for issues that seemed similar to my problem. My deepest apologies for the Wall O Text, I just want to be sure to let you know what things I did try.
Win7x64 - UAC disabled, tested reinstallatons with all malware protection disabled also. Carefully checked that MO was trusted and such-like
Oblivion GOTY steam version, clean installation (now, but the problem started with an older install)
---installed to M:\steam\steamapps\common\oblivion
---had established games and profiles with this version, running an OBSE executable with MO set to run scripted in settings>workarounds I have been using MO for Oblivion for over a year, was comfy with it, and it was stable.
---problem occurred literally 11 minutes apart between launches.
---I had removed OBSE files from oblivion\data directory, created a new profile called 'default' with no mods checkmarked because I was trying a complete new mod-installation using https://wiki.step-pr...p/OblivionGuide . I was unhappy with changes some of the steps in the guide did to my main oblivion directory and data files. I'm not kidding, some external utilities Hishi recommended were very invasive. I spent hours picking registries and appdata files out of my computer's teeth! So I decided I wanted to start fresh, remove everything, and try over in a new profile and that's when I noticed MO was no longer using INI or LocalSaves
---saved this version of MO on a different hard drive for reference, and completely uninstalled Oblivion and MO
---uninstall included removing the \oblivion folder from steam so it had to re-make it, removing the \oblivion folder from mydocuments\mygames on the C drive. I also removed the Oblivion folder from C:\users\userprofile\appdata\local directory. In addition, I removed my Catalyst Control Center game profile for Oblivion.
---decided to try with newest version of MO
---clean installed in completely new installation of Oblivion from steam into the \oblivion directory under default \Mod Organizer folder
---problem still persisted, and I noticed a very strange entry in the log at the end, "DEBUG (02:22:44.0496): create process (w) M:\Steam\steam.exe - "M:\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 22330 (in M:\Steam\steamapps\common\Oblivion) - NOT hooking"
---These are parameters for the OBSE steam launch executable I had set originally for running OBSE based Oblivion in my old version of MO, before I wiped it and reinstalled everything. This seems weird, that MO seems to be searching for a parameter which doesn't even exist in this new installation? This is the only clue I can find anywhere which stands out for me.
These are other things I have been sure to check
---tried making new profiles, with simple names, like "second"
---tried installing the exe installer for MO by running it as admin
---tried running MO as Admin
---tried installing MO to other locations, such as Desktop and L drive and running it from there
---was careful to run Oblivion through steam the first time to create ini files for MO to initialize before I ran MO the first time each time I installed it
---was careful to checkmark LocalGameSaves and Archive Invalidation in the Profiles settings windows
---I did click that Reset Dialog button several times
---this is running only the raw game, no patches, no mods, only the DLC's
---the ini changes I made were easy to verify in each game launch. I disabled the intro movie and menu movie, and I disabled automatic game saves, so it was very easy to establish each profile is not using my profile's ini settings, but the default ones in \mydocumentsetc
---I have saved games repeatedly each test trying to verify that they saved to the MO profile folder's saves and they haven't. I find them in the default save locations instead
---I have verified that the MO profile INI files are not checked for read-only
---I am launching the game using the default "Oblivion" executable (and the "run" button) from MO
---I have verified Full Control security settings for my steam folder