The Return Of The White Wolf (a comprehensive Witcher 3 modding guide)

rootsrat

So I used your Guide as I really liked your choices for most of the different mods. And after a few difficulties it worked like a charm, but I still have two issues. Ingame it says that I have installed the ReShade programm but it doesn't change to unistall Sweet FX in the tool you recommend. And I haven't played on Deathmarch before but is it normal that I do no Damage to the Enemies in the first fight? Like a sword-hit damages them for 0.4 Healthpoints or less. While they of course hit me for 1000. Maybe thats normal but I found the first fight very aggravating.

Do you mean in the very beginning of the game? There are no mods that change the damage, combat or scaling at all, so that aspect is as per the vanilla game. It IS quite harsh though, I admit. It benefits you will skill, because you have to be very careful and tactical for the first 4-5 levels and the skill pays off later on. The game balances out about level 5 or so.

...and yet another official patch v.1.11...Oh boy!!!  :O_o:

But that was expected. At least to me it seems normal to fix the biggest bugs of the new expansion very soon. Of course much more work for the mod-authors if they want to keep their mods up to date.

Argh! :D

If I might make an observation as one that has never played the game before, your INI recommendations for the HUD should come with an explanation of what they remove.

I'm moving through the world very quickly and still only on low player levels and sometimes you can't avoid meeting with high level creatures. The problem is unless you know they are high level and how many HPs they have, you will find the going very tough if you fight them. Sometimes retreat is the best option. Also I wasn't always sure my weapons were doing anything when their HPs weren't visible. It was only when I restored them that I realised my level 4 or 5 Geralt was taking on level 11 & 12 creatures/bandits. Sometimes I was able to slog through but most often I had my @$$ handed to me.

If I might make an observation as one that has never played the game before, your INI recommendations for the HUD should come with an explanation of what they remove.

I'm moving through the world very quickly and still only on low player levels and sometimes you can't avoid meeting with high level creatures. The problem is unless you know they are high level and how many HPs they have, you will find the going very tough if you fight them. Sometimes retreat is the best option. Also I wasn't always sure my weapons were doing anything when their HPs weren't visible. It was only when I restored them that I realised my level 4 or 5 Geralt was taking on level 11 & 12 creatures/bandits. Sometimes I was able to slog through but most often I had my @$$ handed to me.

Hey Grant, thanks for the feedback. Your point is perfectly valid and I'll add description to each option in the next update. (As soon as I'll get around to updating my game to 1.11 - just depends on my free time really).

"Sometimes retreat is the best option. " - that's the whole point of not knowing what level your enemies are :D But yeah, I agree on lower levels it may be a problem. Thanks for pointing it out!

I followed the guide step by step as far as I can tell.

Whenever I launch the game I get the following script compilation errors.

Error [content0]game\quests\quest_function.ws(7142): I dont know any 'HVS_System'
Error [modamp]game\player\playerwitcher.ws(7327): Could not find function 'ClearAllAchievements'
Error [modfriendlyhud]game\gui\hud\modules\hudmoduleradialmenu.ws(247): Could not find function 'IsHudVisibilityAllowedByUser'

EDIT:

Ok it looks like it was due to some of the mods not being compatible with 1.11 yet. I disable all mods that did not have show compatibility for 1.11 and did a script merge. Everything is working now. Luckily the ones that I had to disable were not a big deal.

For those in the future, I had to disable the following:

Alchemy Side Effects Cat Removal
Assorted Mod Patches
Geralt is Smart
HUD Scale and Opacity Slider
No Auto Sword Sheathe - Unsheathe ( Just the Unsheathe one needed disabled. The other two were up to date. Not sure why the mod author would update only 2/3)
Edited by Shinzou
  • +1 1

I followed the guide step by step as far as I can tell.

Whenever I launch the game I get the following script compilation errors.

Error [content0]game\quests\quest_function.ws(7142): I dont know any 'HVS_System'
Error [modamp]game\player\playerwitcher.ws(7327): Could not find function 'ClearAllAchievements'
Error [modfriendlyhud]game\gui\hud\modules\hudmoduleradialmenu.ws(247): Could not find function 'IsHudVisibilityAllowedByUser'

EDIT:

Ok it looks like it was due to some of the mods not being compatible with 1.11 yet. I disable all mods that did not have show compatibility for 1.11 and did a script merge. Everything is working now. Luckily the ones that I had to disable were not a big deal.

For those in the future, I had to disable the following:

Alchemy Side Effects Cat Removal
Assorted Mod Patches
Geralt is Smart
HUD Scale and Opacity Slider
No Auto Sword Sheathe - Unsheathe ( Just the Unsheathe one needed disabled. The other two were up to date. Not sure why the mod author would update only 2/3)

Thanks for the heads up. I'm still on 1.10, and so is the guide ;)

Ah, yeah that's true. If you use GOG Galaxy you can turn off auto updates and manually roll back though.

I didn't even read the change log for 1.11 so not sure what's the best course of action. I'll get to it soon hopefully, but at this moment another project is taking most of my time.

Thanks for the time spent on this guide. I'm going to start my first playthrough soon (full vanilla), just to get a feel for the game, then will probably come back here and use parts of your guide to add a few mods (don't want to change a lot in first playthrough, just fix annoyances). Since I don't have the HoS expansion yet, my question is why does the guide say that it is required? Is it for some specific mods, and if so could you tell us which ones? Or what are the other considerations if we don't have HoS yet? Cheers.