The Return Of The White Wolf (a comprehensive Witcher 3 modding guide)

rootsrat

Thanks for the time spent on this guide. I'm going to start my first playthrough soon (full vanilla), just to get a feel for the game, then will probably come back here and use parts of your guide to add a few mods (don't want to change a lot in first playthrough, just fix annoyances). Since I don't have the HoS expansion yet, my question is why does the guide say that it is required? Is it for some specific mods, and if so could you tell us which ones? Or what are the other considerations if we don't have HoS yet? Cheers.

Hey there, I marked it as required to avoid potential branching of the guide for people who have and don't have the expansions (there will be even more variations when the 2nd expansion is released). Just look at Skyrim mods - so many mods with 5 different versions for expansion owners... I don't have enough time to maintain the multiple versions of the guide, so I'm creating it for the full version with expansions.

I am not aware of any mods in the guide requiring Hearts of Stone expansion, but I can't guarantee it will work if you don't own it :)

In other news... Gwent Live is helluva game! Such a great fun with a live opponent! Thought my wife wouldn't like it, but she actually loves it :D

Gwent_Live.jpg?size=1024&revision=21066

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

i followed the instructions but received the following error codes when Nexus MM compiled after had klicked on 'Launch Witcher3':

Error [content0]game\quests\quest_function.ws(7142): I dont know any 'HVS_System'
Error [modamp]game\player\playerwitcher.ws(7327): Could not find function 'ClearAllAchievements'
Error [modfriendlyhud]game\gui\hud\modules\hudmoduleradialmenu.ws(247): Could not find function 'IsHudVisibilityAllowedByUser'

Does anyone know what to do?

Hi there,

i followed the instructions but received the following error codes when Nexus MM compiled after had klicked on 'Launch Witcher3':

Error [content0]game\quests\quest_function.ws(7142): I dont know any 'HVS_System'
Error [modamp]game\player\playerwitcher.ws(7327): Could not find function 'ClearAllAchievements'
Error [modfriendlyhud]game\gui\hud\modules\hudmoduleradialmenu.ws(247): Could not find function 'IsHudVisibilityAllowedByUser'

Does anyone know what to do?

What game version are you using? The guide specifically states it's for 1.10.

Oh well, I think I accidentally updated to 1.11.

What do you think will be the easiest solution for me: waiting for 1.11. compability for the incompatible share of mods or installing everything from the bottom up and update it later?

I am quite indifferent to playing it now or in the future.

I am sorry for my bad English, I am from Germany and I just translate my German way of speaking :D

• 1 month later...

So I found this guide and I was very happy! I followed the Skyrim guide and had a great time with it, and was looking for something simple to follow for Witcher 3. Unfortunately it seems I'm a few months too late. I'm about halfway through the guide and have found a few mods which have been updated, and the versions you listed aren't available. Autoloot and Friendly HUD are my 2 stumbling blocks up to now. I'm rather hesitant in installing the new versions instead, especially considering the patches at the end of the guide most likely deal with the older mod versions in mind. Is there a planned update anytime soon? Or has anyone managed to successfully follow this guide recently?

So I found this guide and I was very happy! I followed the Skyrim guide and had a great time with it, and was looking for something simple to follow for Witcher 3. Unfortunately it seems I'm a few months too late. I'm about halfway through the guide and have found a few mods which have been updated, and the versions you listed aren't available. Autoloot and Friendly HUD are my 2 stumbling blocks up to now. I'm rather hesitant in installing the new versions instead, especially considering the patches at the end of the guide most likely deal with the older mod versions in mind. Is there a planned update anytime soon? Or has anyone managed to successfully follow this guide recently?

There is also my guide, forum thread here which is updated to patch 1.11 with Hearts of Stone and the latest versions of all included mods. I don't have quite the extensive gameplay/stat changes that rootsrat did/does but it is up to date and easy to follow.

Root, hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread a little. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there. No problem, Neo :)

Sorry, I should have posted an update. 

I am waiting for all the expansions to come out before updating the guide. Also, I don't currently have the time to keep everything up to date, sadly. Feel free to use Neo's guide - it's a great one too!

• 5 months later...

Right! All the expansions are out and I have purchased a new graphics card, so now it's time to start updating the guide! I'll need some time to get back on track, as I've had over 6 months break from The Witcher, so bear with me while I catch up with all the news. Watch this space...

• +1 1

I'm up to reviewing the guide from the begnning up to Tweaks and Fixes section. HUD and UI is next and so on. Once I'm done with review of the whole guide, I'll start looking into some new mods and then it'll be release time! I'm off for 2 week holiday next week so I'm hoping to have it released before then.

You can watch the progress here: https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Rootsrat/TheWitcher3_Return_Of_The_White_Wolf_Test

The guide is now updated to work with 1.22 game version! Some redundant mods were removed, some were added and a few things were changed. The guide is fully usable now, however the following sections are still a WIP:

• In Game Mod Configuration
  • Mod Hotkeys

That means that you will have to configure the mods using in game menus yourself and also not all of the hotkeys will work, however the essential ones are working now and it's clearly stated which ones are still not configured. 

Enjoy!

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Rootsrat/TheWitcher3_Return_Of_The_White_Wolf

• 1 month later...

Seeing that I'm pretty much the only person replying in this thread I've decided to stop supporting the guide, as I don't think many people use it. 

If you want a guide that is still actively supported, please check Neo's W3R: The Wild Hunt Revisited guide - it's a great guide of a very experienced modder. 

Thanks for your time guys, it was a pleasure. Time to move on now!

• +1 1

Seeing that I'm pretty much the only person replying in this thread I've decided to stop supporting the guide, as I don't think many people use it.

If you want a guide that is still actively supported, please check Neo's W3R: The Wild Hunt Revisited guide - it's a great guide of a very experienced modder.

Thanks for your time guys, it was a pleasure. Time to move on now!

Thank you for your wonderful guide. I used your guide combined with Neo's guide for my first Witcher 3 playthrough.