Can anyone make a modding guide?

Hi there. After seeing that there was a new Witcher 3 modding guide, I was wondering if anyone can make these guides? I recently spent a lot of time modding The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition, and would love to make a guide for others to use to mod the game as well. I realize whoever sees this will probably think, "oh look at this new guy, 1 post and he thinks he can create a modding guide huh? bet he doesn't even realize all the hours that would go into it or where to begin or how to even make it look professional." Well that's not true. I already have most of the guide planned out.

The things that would be covered would be mods that add or enchance:

-Textures/Graphics

-UI

-ENB

-Balance/Gameplay

-.ini fixes

-Texture fixes

-etc.

It wouldn't be a guide to say, "hey look at all the armor reskins u can download, here they are." It would only be improving the core game, like all the other guides here.

TL;DR: Basically, I would want to make a high quality guide to modding the Witcher 2 that is in the style/format of the other user created guides, and would like to know if anyone can host a guide on STEP. :)

Absolutely. We are an open modding community. The only that is closed off is that writing of the actual STEP Guide, but that does not limit other's from creating any other pages they would like.

If you go to the wiki you can use your forum account to log in and create wiki pages. The way most of our supplementary game guides get started is by someone putting it under their namespace. For example, my Fallout New Vegas guide's url is https://wiki.step-project.com/User:EssArrBee/FalloutNewVegas.

You could can create any page you like by just using the url https://wiki.step-project.com/User:<your username>/<guide name>

It's quite simple and you can learn the basics of wiki editing by searching 'wiki syntax' on google or by looking at the source of other guides by click 'Edit' under page tools on most wiki pages. I would just look at the syntax though, or copy stuff to another page without changing any page you might be viewing.

A good way to start is creating a snadbox page to try stuff out, so https://wiki.step-project.com/User:SynthetikHD/sandbox would be yours.

Ah, well thanks I wasn't aware anyone could make a guide, i thought i would have to convince someone to let me make one lol. this is a really cool community! Well thanks for all the help, sorry i didnt respond before but i got started on my guide right away haha. I may have taken most of the source for my guide from another user (rootsrat), who took the source from your guide, lol. In hindsight I likely should have asked before i did that, im hoping thats okay?  ::P:

Regardless, care to check out my The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition Modding Guide?

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:SynthetikHD/TheWitcher2

I worked real hard, and 8 hours straight lol, to make it as nice as I could with no prior knowledge of coding/editing wiki's. What do you think?

I looked the guide over and it looks good so far.

We give sub-forums out when there is more interest from the community. Usually you just need a main thread to get started. Once more people see it they will start to show up. From there you'll probably get suggestions and feedback, then people that need help. Around that time is when you'll need a sub-forum. We already made one for Witcher 3 since it's new and popular and that guide will probably draw lots of attention right away. I'd say you should just start a thread in the packs forum.

Let rootsrat know that you posted a guide for Witcher 2, then you guys put links to each other's guides which will help draw attention from users that only find one guide and don't know there are more.

And add yourself to the credits!

• 1 month later...

Wow this is an awesome community. Ha. 10 years ago I'd be posting my Diablo 2 modding guides. Congrats man! It's a great guide. I shall spread the word! I'm sure you won't mind if I link this in a few other forums and reddits. :) Gives me a reason to replay witcher 2. I ditched witcher three. I'd rather wait for expansions. Put 80 hours in before I un-installed it. Heart-breaking I know, its a badass game. Skyrim has taken most of my interest. I just...can't get this arrow out of my knee.

Wow this is an awesome community. Ha. 10 years ago I'd be posting my Diablo 2 modding guides. Congrats man! It's a great guide. I shall spread the word! I'm sure you won't mind if I link this in a few other forums and reddits. :) Gives me a reason to replay witcher 2. I ditched witcher three. I'd rather wait for expansions. Put 80 hours in before I un-installed it. Heart-breaking I know, its a badass game. Skyrim has taken most of my interest. I just...can't get this arrow out of my knee.

Wow! Thanks man, I think you're the first to give me feedback on the guide haha. And by all means, spread the guide around. I was thinking about linking it on /r/witcher but I'm too lazy to do that. But yeah I haven't gotten TW3 and don't plan to until the Goty edition comes out so I can experience everything at once I suppose haha.

Indeed. Not to many game breaking bugs or anything, definitely a few exploits and a failed exploit fix (google witcher 3 cow money cheat its actually pretty funny) But having to update every month with patch after patch was tedious and possible save game breaking. So I gave up, I'll wait for the goty edition for me too. It'll be worth the wait.

DoubleYou! That's awesome man. I'm an Ultimate 4life Diablo 2 fan. lol I dont hack, and I've been collecting gear and maxing out different char builds for years. I have a small community built up on GameRanger. Are you familiar with GameRanger? A program to play online with people from around the world, to play mainly old school PC games. Check out Gameranger.com Its free get it. Diablo 2 has a large community on there. I play with people from all over and some of us hook up via Teamspeak3 and chat while we play, I also have access to a private TEamspeak channel for Diablo 2 gameranger players. It's allot of fun. You can add me, my GR user is brokenpaine. :D I think Battlenet for D2 is still going, havent bothered to check.