Game freezing after ~30 seconds of being in

Natorius

Question

I installed Fear and Loathing using the S.T.E.P. guide over the last few days.  I feel like I got all the installation and everything right but my computer seems to freeze after just a little bit in the game.

The game looks great, loads fine, no camera/mouse/UI issues etc etc outside of FOV but after a little while of being in the game my computer freezes and I have to log out just to get it to close.

I'm not really sure what I can to do try and fix it.  Is my best option to just uninstall everything and start over?  Make a new profile and select each mod to enable in the order of the guide?

I am on Windows 8.1.  Updated to the newest AMD drivers on a clean install of Windows.  Steam is in my D:\ directory, running most things in Administrator mode.  I've used loot etc.

Not sure what other information I can post.

I do. Though I had to change the argument in MO because the original one with FalloutMO.exe wasn't working correctly.

When I was in the room where you wake up with alternate start the game ran fine. I picked everything and chose to load into Goodsprings and that was when I started getting the freezes after a short while. The game music would keep going but that is it.

All the mods seem to work as far as I can tell. At least, there aren't any errors when I load in. My FOV is fairly low though, I can't even see my laser pistol if I'm not aiming.

I may try a fresh profile and a reinstall but I somewhat dread doing that due to this install taking me a few days.

Edited by Natorius

I'm going to go through my installation and ensure everything was installed and merged correctly and such.

I do have a different question.  At times there have been files in my Overwrite folder before I use the merge script to merge mods.  Should I be deleting all the files in there before I launch FNVEdit?

If they are the folders from UIO, then you do not have to delete them at game launch. They get created every time the game is launched.

If they belong to another mod then you have to figure out which mod it is and move them to that mod. If you can't figure that out then make a mod from the folder and remove the UIO folders.

The overwrite folder in MO has the highest priority and you should not leave any files there other than the UIO folders.

I think I accidentally left numerous things in there when I was making different merged patches and making mods out of those during the F&L directions.  I'm starting everything from scratch.

I'm finishing up with the lighting section now.  When I loaded the game after installing the UI elements I couldn't use weapons/wait etc and had to use the enableplayercontrols command.  Is that indicative of mods being messed up or just a small glitch?  I'd rather not finish up the whole guide again to find out that that was a bigger problem than a one time thing.

Unfortunately I'm still getting game freezes on occasion.  Not within 5-10 seconds like before but it seems like they happen after 5-10 minutes.  Both times were outside in Goodsprings.  How would I go about troubleshooting that?  The sound keeps going but the game quits responding.

Edit: Perhaps my current freezing is actually related to the tutorial with Sunny Smiles.  We go to where you're about to kill some geckos, she says that I'm on and as soon as she finishes her sentence the game freezes.

Edit 2: I started a fresh save and the game didn't freeze at that same one point so I am really confused and am not sure what was going on.

Edit 3: Scratch that... I killed the geckos in the new save and froze before I went back to talk to her.  I did test the mods after each section but I didn't play extensively enough to know when the problem occurred.  Really rather avoid reinstalling every mod if I can help it. :\

Edited by Natorius

Alright.  I decided to scrap my New Vegas install and start completely over to try and see if I could get everything working.

I've been installing one section, making a new save and playing through the first tutorial quest to see if the game hangs or crashes at all.  I made it most of the way through the guide and had just installed some sound mods that are installed after WAR(I'm not home so I can't look up the names right now) and when I played through the game this time I started to crash.  Disabling the four sound mods I had just installed didn't seem to fix it. Outside of those four mods the only difference between this time and all the previous times I've ran through the tutorial quest is that currently there is one of the very heavy dust/radstorms from the weather mod and I have the feeling that is what is causing things.

Assuming it is that weather mod how would I go about fixing it?

Also a separate question that might also be affecting the previous issues... which BSAs in the archive tab am I supposed to check and which ones am I not supposed to check?  I've been checking all of them and maybe that is why my game was freezing in my first go around at the guide.

Get rid of Nevada Skies and try Realistic Wasteland Lighting. I'll probably switching to that mod soon enough or doing a 'Pick your own' weather mod type of deal. RWL is a little more performance friendly and the colors are little bit more washed out like the Southwestern US. 

THere should only be one Nevada Skies patch to remove from ILO.

Alright.  Sounds good.  I'm not 100% of that mod is the culprit here but I hadn't had any crashes until I was in one of the dust storms.

If MO is managing my BSAs do I need to have any/all checked?  The BSA section of the guide talks about it some but doesn't really say what the best course of action is.

I greatly appreciate the guide and help.