Photo

Question regarding 2.B. Clean the Update ESM

Best Answer Charlie86 , 29 June 2015 - 05:08 PM

Since I posted the same thing yesterday in the bug reports: the update.esm in your skyrim folder should now be smaller than the one you backed up.

Do the following:

1. Go to your MO mods folder (you find the location in MO's Settings -> Common -> Mod Directory, loose translation from the autoenabled translation in my version)

2. Create a new directory, e.g. "STEP Cleaned Update"

3. Move the smaller update.esm from your Skyrim\Data directory into the new directory

4. Move your backed up file into your Skyrim\Data directory

5. Restart Mod Organizer

You will now have the new mod listed, just as if you had created it according to the current docs.

Hope it helps!

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:24 PM

No, that isn't what I am seeing. The latest versions of MO are moving the cleaned ESM to overwrite, not copying it.

#17 DoubleYou

DoubleYou

Wiki Stepper

• Super Moderators
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:59 PM

No, that isn't what I am seeing. The latest versions of MO are moving the cleaned ESM to overwrite, not copying it.

I understand, but the xEdit cleaning instructions are for mods which get moved automatically by Mod Organizer back to their mod directory instead of into Overwrite, and leaving a stray backups folder in Overwrite. Files in data do indeed get moved into Overwrite, but those instructions are handles on their mod pages individually.

#18 TheOne320

TheOne320

Prisoner

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 02:49 AM

I made a video so you guys can see what is happening for me. Maybe this will help.

#19 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,626 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:13 AM

So it looks like it's putting the cleaned version into the Data folder.

#20 TheOne320

TheOne320

Prisoner

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 04:52 PM

Yes, that is the case.

#21 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,626 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 04:58 PM

In that case, you simply need to adjust the directions just a bit to install the cleaned version into MO.

#22 Charlie86

Charlie86

Prisoner

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:08 PM   Best Answer

Since I posted the same thing yesterday in the bug reports: the update.esm in your skyrim folder should now be smaller than the one you backed up.

Do the following:

1. Go to your MO mods folder (you find the location in MO's Settings -> Common -> Mod Directory, loose translation from the autoenabled translation in my version)

2. Create a new directory, e.g. "STEP Cleaned Update"

3. Move the smaller update.esm from your Skyrim\Data directory into the new directory

4. Move your backed up file into your Skyrim\Data directory

5. Restart Mod Organizer

You will now have the new mod listed, just as if you had created it according to the current docs.

Hope it helps!

#23 TheOne320

TheOne320

Prisoner

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:24 PM

Ok thanks, I did this for all the DLCs too. Now I just have to fix my other error and I can have a go at actually playing with STEP.

#24 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:33 PM

I would like to see your ModOrganizer.ini to check what settings you have to call xEdit, if you don't mind.

The only thing different in your video to what I see, apart from the obvious of course, is you are on Win8/8.1. It might be the case of the OS and permissions with MO placing the edited file in a secondary location if the first refuses. (that's just my wild guessing!)

#25 TheOne320

TheOne320

Prisoner

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:43 AM

ModOrganizer.ini

#26 Charlie86

Charlie86

Prisoner

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:38 AM

Well, I am on Win 7 - and TES5Edit manages to overwrite the original file despite being run from MO.

My suspicion is that MO might catch the creation of the new file, but misses the later action when TES5Edit moves the newly created file in place of the old. Maybe this behavior is new in TES5Edit 3.1.1, and earlier versions directly create the file in place?

#27 DoubleYou

DoubleYou

Wiki Stepper

• Super Moderators
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:27 PM

You know what... The reason for all this: the behavior will vary across different systems because MO uses a timeout to determine whether a file is overwritten or not. I forgot about this, so that is the cause for the confusion: there are two possible outcomes dependent upon how fast the file is saved.

#28 TheOne320

TheOne320

Prisoner

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 04:15 PM

So, because of my SSD it is too fast to pick it up?

#29 DoubleYou

DoubleYou

Wiki Stepper

• Super Moderators
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 04:21 PM

No. Because of your SSD, yours is too fast so it DOES pick it up. I have a HDD, and it doesn't. At least, that's my theory.

#30 Nozzer66

Nozzer66

Dragon Prince

• Pack Authors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,594 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:29 PM

Makes sense. My Skyrim's on a HDD and I have the issue DoubleYou is suggesting. I can live with it, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users