Question regarding 2.B. Clean the Update ESM

TheOne320

Question

I am following "2.B. Clean the Update ESM" in the STEP guide v.2.2.9.1 and in step 11. the overwrite should turn red and the update.esm should appear in the overwrite list. This is not the case. The only thing in the grey overwrite is the "TES5Edit Backups" folder. I am using MO v.1.3.8 and TES5Edit v.3.1.1. What could I be doing wrong?

No, that isn't what I am seeing. The latest versions of MO are moving the cleaned ESM to overwrite, not copying it.

I understand, but the xEdit cleaning instructions are for mods which get moved automatically by Mod Organizer back to their mod directory instead of into Overwrite, and leaving a stray backups folder in Overwrite. Files in data do indeed get moved into Overwrite, but those instructions are handles on their mod pages individually.

I would like to see your ModOrganizer.ini to check what settings you have to call xEdit, if you don't mind.

The only thing different in your video to what I see, apart from the obvious of course, is you are on Win8/8.1. It might be the case of the OS and permissions with MO placing the edited file in a secondary location if the first refuses. (that's just my wild guessing!)

Well, I am on Win 7 - and TES5Edit manages to overwrite the original file despite being run from MO.

My suspicion is that MO might catch the creation of the new file, but misses the later action when TES5Edit moves the newly created file in place of the old. Maybe this behavior is new in TES5Edit 3.1.1, and earlier versions directly create the file in place?

You know what... The reason for all this: the behavior will vary across different systems because MO uses a timeout to determine whether a file is overwritten or not. I forgot about this, so that is the cause for the confusion: there are two possible outcomes dependent upon how fast the file is saved.