Mod merging, how and what to merge.

This is not a "help me" thread.

I thought a testing thread for mod merging would be useful to have for those of us installing a butt load of extra mods after the STEP: Core or STEP: Extended installation has been done.

So far this is the list of potential mods I believe is able to being merged without causing issues of any kind, used in STEP:Core/Extended installs.

However this is currently just a theoretical assessment based on the list of edits each mods does from the original .esm files or "master mod" files.

[spoiler=Mod List, Updated 15/07/17-15:16]

Wrye Bash merged mods/no conflict issues;
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
- QGJ_DG_vampireamuletfix.esp           -> Merge into STEP Patch
- Complete Crafting_TrueWeaponsLvlLists -> Merge into STEP Patch
- Weapons & Armor_TrueWeaponsLvlLists   -> Merge into STEP Patch
- Traps Make Noise                      -> Merge into STEP Patch

White marked/no conflict issues;
- Appropriately Attired Jarls Redux -> Merge into STEP Patch, BSA extraction needed
- Chesko_LoreBasedLoadingScreens    -> Merge into STEP Patch
- Beards                            -> Merge into STEP Patch
- Brows                             -> Merge into STEP Patch
- SMDropLitTorch                    -> Merge into STEP Patch, BSA extraction needed

Red Text, Green Background/no "real" conflict issues;
- Dead Body Collision                     -> Merge into STEP Patch
- Moss Rocks                              -> Merge into STEP Patch
- Moss Rocks_DB                           -> Merge into STEP Patch
- DawnguardRuneWeaponsFXSReplacer         -> Merge into STEP Patch
- ORM-Arvak                               -> Merge into STEP Patch
- Elemental Staves                        -> Merge into STEP Patch
- SPTConsistentOlderPeople                -> Merge into STEP Patch, BSA extraction needed
- RealisticWaterTwo - Waves - Falskaar    -> Merge into STEP Patch, not used in STEP:Core/Extended installations!
- RealisticWaterTwo - Falskaar            -> Merge into STEP Patch, not used in STEP:Core/Extended installations!
- RealisticWaterTwo - Wyrmstooth          -> Merge into STEP Patch, not used in STEP:Core/Extended installations!
- RealisticWaterTwo - Legendary           -> Merge into STEP Patch
- RealisticWaterTwo - Waves - Wyrmstooth  -> Merge into STEP Patch, not used in STEP:Core/Extended installations!
- Radiant and Unqiue Poti/Pois and Booze  -> Merge into STEP Patch
- Soul Gems Differ - NW                   -> Merge into STEP Patch
- Invisibility Eyes Fix                   -> Merge into STEP Patch
- Animated Weapon Enchants                -> Merge into STEP Patch
- randomthunder                           -> Merge into STEP Patch
- ClamsDropPearls                         -> Merge into STEP Patch
- Slightly Reduced Distance NPC Greetings -> Merge into STEP Patch
- WM Trap Fixes                           -> Merge into STEP Patch
- LanternsOfSkyrim_STEP                   -> Merge into STEP Patch, not used in STEP:Core/Extended installations! Makes LoS visually compatible with Relighting Skyrim and vanilla lighting.

That's the list so far, I haven't tried a practical run with the merged mods yet, but will do so once I get the time and have gone over the mods further.

So I hope this thread kicks off a support thread, of a kind, for users in need of merging mods to free up a plugin space for a new mod inclusion to a given users mod list.

Edited by JawZ

You can quickly check for moss rock.esp and paralysis.esp as well. Haven't tried manually nor with merge script, but WB 306 can merge them without any issues, and considering what's in, it should do just fine with any of the above methods.

Edit : sooo... look like I just forgot to get rid of paralysis.esp which was already merged into the STEP Patch  :facepalm:

Just checked for Moss rock (both classic and dragonborn), it's just a mater of copy as override -> STEP Patch -> Done. Of course you still have to keep the ressources.

Edit 2 : Just how much am I using the word "just" ? Probably just too much...

Edited by Kesta

Just an FYI, some of this might be reduced in the next release. We're putting together (already done really) a compilation of mods to be installed. This will reduce the amount of mods that the user needs to download and install. All done with permissions from the authors, of course.

You can merge just about anything.

The only major exception is mods that contain script fragments.

There is an issue with merge with some automated patchers because they may rely on the plugin name to apply certain values or what have you, perma is one exception where it is okay to merge. If any mod that is blacklisted in an automated patcher may cause issues if the merged plugin isnt added to the blacklist.

If a mod contain nav meshes that do not conflict or are harmless conflicts then the plugin has to be loaded into the CK and then resaved to regen the navi info map, remember you must make all the masters have the ESM flag otherwise everything will break.

My personal habits are to not merge large and/or quest mods because they have so many moving parts that something is bound to break or it has script fragments which as I said, do not merge at all *yet*.

For any experienced merger out there, take a look at the pre-alpha/ alpha mergeplugins 2.0.

Any thing that is a game setting (GMST) you can add yourself very quickly.

1. Expand STEP Patch, right click GMST and select add. Let xEdit decide the FormID
  2. Go to the GMST you want to merge and copy the Editor ID.
  3. Add the Editor ID to the new record in the STEP Patch.
  4. Change the values to match what they were in the plugin that is being merged.

Merging GMST records using the Copy as Override into... does not work without that plugin becoming a master most of the time, so those directions work.

Most game settings in the STEP Patches have already been done, but if you only use the STEP Core Patch then Realistic Ragdolls isn't included AFAIK.

There is a mod called Insignificant Object Remover that gets rid of those stupid pebbles that can be merged normally I think. 

Just an FYI, some of this might be reduced in the next release. We're putting together (already done really) a compilation of mods to be installed. This will reduce the amount of mods that the user needs to download and install. All done with permissions from the authors, of course.

Probably won't use any plugins for the first release, just regular assets.

EDIT: Also, try merging Block Sparkles.esp. I think it's a simple Copy as Override as well.

There is an issue with merge with some automated patchers because they may rely on the plugin name to apply certain values or what have you, perma is one exception where it is okay to merge. If any mod that is blacklisted in an automated patcher may cause issues if the merged plugin isnt added to the blacklist.

What do you mean by blacklisted?

Glad to see there have been additions to this thread.

Mods that contains/uses MCM menu, Patchers, Tools similar to FNIS's own tool and certain mods with scripts or quests can't be merged successfully.

But yeah the initial idea is to just merge small mods that doesn't alter a lot of various content that would make more sense to be combined into a larger mod or the STEP patch.

And I figured it's just a matter of time before STEP get's more and more permission from mod authors to utilize mods to create a more optimized STEP installation.

Still even after that "STEP Optimized Installation" procedure is implemented there will be the STEP Packs that has various mods that could be merged together. And this thread can and hopefully will serve as a more extensive base line of what kind of mods can easily be merged into one and the same plugin. The more info is posted here from various posters.

Mods that contains/uses MCM menu, Patchers, Tools similar to FNIS's own tool and certain mods with scripts or quests can't be merged successfully.

Actually mods with MCM's can be merged without problem with the latest merge script :)

Actually mods with MCM's can be merged without problem with the latest merge script :)

Ello Tea havent seen you around in awhile...

Anyhow, tea is correct. There are a few common issues, if people get the $ garbage then they are missing the translation txt file or it doesnt have the same name as the plugin. The other issue is that the MCM doesnt show, this may be related to that the merge script not generating an SEQ file, unless he recently added that feature. I think mator said the SEQ gives scripts priority on launch or something but dont quote me on that.

I noticed that some mods that come with a skse plugin such as FISS or Blocksteal Redux don't work anymore after merging. So I'd be careful with those kind of mods.

Merging all RaceMenu esp files into one seems to be fine though.

I noticed that some mods that come with a skse plugin such as FISS or Blocksteal Redux don't work anymore after merging. So I'd be careful with those kind of mods.

Merging all RaceMenu esp files into one seems to be fine though.

Oh, yeah forgot about mods that have an skse .dll those will NOT work a majority of the time.