TES5Edit Mod Cleaning

frihyland

Yes. It's your choice whether to rename and keep them in separate file in MO (with optional files coming after in MO's order) or merge them into the same file (merging optional into main files not vice-versa). The effect is largely the same though you might find one method or the other easier for you to keep track of.

Yes. It's your choice whether to rename and keep them in separate file in MO (with optional files coming after in MO's order) or merge them into the same file (merging optional into main files not vice-versa). The effect is largely the same though you might find one method or the other easier for you to keep track of.

I think I will rename them as you said you did.  That way, as you mentioned, it allows me to keep track of everything better.

Thanks for the help!

Okay, have another question.

As written in SR:

Skyrim Flora Overhaul

Author: Vurt

Version: 1.79e

Special Installation: If using Skyrim Realistic Overhaul, do not install the following files:

textures/landscape/fieldgrass02*.dds

Overrides: Serious HD, Skyrim HD - 2K Textures, Skyrim Realistic Overhaul

What does the asterisk mean after "fieldgrass02"? Just want to make sure I understand. Am I also supposed to get rid of the /fieldgrass02_n.dds???

Thank you.

It's a wildcard - a convention carried over from *nix. Basically' date=' it means that anything can go in between the symbol. So, you need to disable all files starting with "fieldgrass02".[/quote']

Okay, I understand now.

Thank you for the reply and help.

When I come across mods that give me the option to download the .bsa version or loose files version.... is there one style preferred by SR or does it not matter because of MO? I have been downloading BSA's thinking this is okay because MO automatically extracts all .bsa files... correct?

I did choose the option in the very beginning for that when asked and clicked always use that option. So technically it doesn't matter what I download then?

When I come across mods that give me the option to download the .bsa version or loose files version.... is there one style preferred by SR or does it not matter because of MO? I have been downloading BSA's thinking this is okay because MO automatically extracts all .bsa files... correct?

I did choose the option in the very beginning for that when asked and clicked always use that option. So technically it doesn't matter what I download then?

Right. Since your extracting it matters not.

• 7 months later...

This thread confused the hell out of me.

But I ended up here after being confused by the wiki's article about cleaning. I think there really should be a section about cleaning the base game files, because there seem to be some specifics, as described here. Being new to all this, I had no idea what to select and how to "incrementally" move down the list while selecting everything from before.

I am not sure I understand what are you saying here about the voodoo with moving files, but is it ok to just rename the stuff from overwrite folder and replace the original files with that? The purpose is to optimize the files, right? And there's probably no point in keeping backups of these at this point.

@Octopus you actually don't have to do it incrementally. Any plugin you load automatically will load its masters. 

You can clean them and uncheck 'backup plugins' when done. It'll replace the old esms with the cleaned esms in your skyrim data folder. 

I've just realized TES5Edit creates the new files with the same timestamps, which confused me. The other thing that majorly confused me was Neovalen's guide, which is apparently slightly wrong about some things, but also is not meant for noobs at all.

I still have to do one file at a time though, right?

• 11 months later...

Dont know if anyone will feel it is needed or not, but if you want to use any of the following to add to the WIKI for manual cleaning ( grab the images and use if you want ) feel free ...

https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/4110-manual-cleaning-skyrim-master-files/

Get to the second Orange highlighted title

Dawnguard.esm needs manual cleaning aswell as automatic cleaning

EDIT : But wait for my next edit, Zilav just pointed something out which means I will be redoing the screens shortly

EDIT 2 : Done
Edited by alt3rn1ty