[ Q & A ] Using FNIS with Mod Organizer

GrantSP

Question

This topic is specifically for FNIS related issues when using Mod Organizer.

--

EDIT: 17th April 2016.

Due to @fore's "issues" with MO he has pulled all support and directed it here.

Let it be stated that the "issues" he notes are due to user error and there is no inherent issue with FNIS running in MO.

Further his claim that FNIS WILL NOT run through MO on Windows 10 machines is just wrong! DO NOT follow the advice he offers regarding using FNIS and MO.

--

Setting up FNIS to run through MO

Install it like any other mod through MO and make sure it is active (checkmarked) in the left pane mod list.

Since you must launch FNIS through Mod Organizer in order for it to recognize your mods, add FNIS to the list of executables by doing the following:

1. Click the gears icon Gear_MO.png.
  2. In the Title field, type FNIS.
  3. For the Binary field, browse to your FNIS installation (should be located in <ModOrganizer>/mods/Fores New Idles in Skyrim - FNIS/tools/GenerateFNIS_for_Users) and select the GenerateFNISforUsers.exe application.
  4. Click the Add button. This will add FNIS to your executables list.
  5. Click OK.

Now each time you want to run FNIS, simply select it from the drop-down menu at top right and click Run.

Running through MO

1. Launch FNIS through MO
  2. In the Available Patches at the bottom of the window, check the boxes for all necessary patches in your setup.
  3. Click the [update FNIS Behavior] button and wait for a message to appear in the window stating "X animations for Y mods successfully included.".
  4. Click [Exit].

After closing FNIS, there will be files in Overwrite (essentially a fake mod located at the bottom of the left pane if sorted by priority ascending) created by FNIS. Right-click Overwrite and select Create Mod, name it FNIS Output and click OK. This will create a new mod listing in the left pane for the FNIS generated files. You will then need to check it to enable it. Each subsequent time you update FNIS behavior, you must open Overwrite and drag the new files back to this mod.

Common Errors

Error 53 or 2012

"Could not find file <path to file>\1hm_behavior.hkx

Ensure the animation sets you have installed are correctly placed in priority in the left-hand pane and FNIS is using the one you want. Open the Data tab in the right-hand pane and examine the filetree to see which animation is being used in the VFS.

Navigate the filetree by expanding: data>meshes>actors>character>behaviors> and see which mod is providing the file.

If the file name is displayed in red, the mouse tooltip will show which other mods are also providing this file. Move the correct mod to the correct location.

Additional cause for Error 2012

A user(@patchling) had Spybot - Search & Destroy+AV 2.5 installed and was constantly getting JIT and 2012 errors, specifically the 0_master.xml was not found. The file was placed in the FNIS temporary_log folder ready for processing but before that could happen it was removed by said program. Opening the start menu > settings > live protection > mode > uncheck "Scan programs before they start" apparently stops that behaviour.

Error dialogue

GenerateFNISForUsers.exe - This application could not be started.

This application could not be started.

Do you want to view information about this issue?

Simply close the dialogue by pressing "No" and enable FNIS in the Left-hand pane. Correct FNIS installation and use explains this in the wiki.

Why does the 6.2 Add-on not look correct in MO?

What you need to remember here is MO is designed to handle 'mods' and what we are installing with FNIS, and its add-ons, are 'tools'.

This means MO is looking for the correct folder structure for a 'mod' as seen by the game. The archive for the 6.2 add-on has as its top folder: "tools" and this is correct for FNIS, not the game.

Simply 'set the data folder' so that the "tools" folder is now at the top of the tree and ignore the next dialogue that asks if you are sure.

This "JIT error" was under examination by @fore. He tends to believe it is an error in the way MO calls certain IO functions, I'm not so sure, and since only a very small number of users are seeing it, and they don't tend to come back with helpful information, it makes it very hard to see a correlation.

The only thing that I can suggest is to make absolutely sure all your animation mods are loaded correctly in the right order and you have FNIS installed and set up correctly.

Also check that Windows has enabled the .NET Framework 3.5 by using the Windows setting: "Turn Windows Features on and off".

I'm using Windows XP if htat helps and an old version of Mod Orginizer that will still ru n on it. and the exact directory that FNIS points to is C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Mod Organizer\mods\Fores New Idles in Skyrim - FNIS\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\GenerateFNISforUsers.exe

HOw wo uld I make sure I have them installed correctly? I checked the FNIS sub-directory under Mod Orginizer and that seems to be in order. ot her than that I'm lost. Alos I made sure to point hte FNIS install to its data directory and I've been following Gophrs install guide if that helps. For further refrence, the mod I have that uses it is Bathing in Skyrim should FNIS be prioritized beofre that or after?

Oh and my version of Mod Orginizer is 1.2.18 and whenever I try to actually launch FNIS  program I get an error that says "cannot rename ModOrginizer.ini if hta tmeans anything.

Edited by tnu

Did you checkmark the FNIS mod in the left pane?

Yup all the checkmarks are in, replaced and also refreshed. I can find it easily in my data>tools on the right panel. But when I run FNIS, it just states that error. I checked the FNIS site they said something about running it specifically under administrator mode. Do I have to do that and if so, how?  Thanks

I'm having "ERROR(5): The system cannot find the file specified"

I can't run it as an administrator or maybe Im not sure how. Thanks for the assist.

If you have updated from a previous FNIS version it is possible the mod name used by MO, and hence the path to the executable, is different.

Re-check the settings in both the 'Executables List' and any shortcuts in MO, or the Desktop created by MO, are pointing to the current exe.

I had a question about the placement of the FNIS Output Mod that you create when using FNIS with MO. Should the FNIS Output mod be directly below FNIS or should you place it after all of the animation mods that FNIS works with.

For example:

FNIS Behavior V5 5 --ALWAYS necessary

XP32 New Animation Pack

FNIS Output

or

FNIS Behavior V5 5 --ALWAYS necessary

FNIS Output

XP32 New Animation Pack