Win 8/8.1 + MO + 4 Gb = FAIL...this problem seriously needs to be addressed

Artfu1D0dger

Question

Yes I'm new to modding, not new to gaming or PC's; only mod i've ever added to a game before this was in Duke Nukem (the original xD)

I am one of the many that are returning with the latest NV Ultimate and starting to mod in the wake of all the hype for Fallout 4.

ok I am now at my wits end, and even the author of the 4 Gb program refuses to support Win 8, but the issue seems to be with Mod Organizer.  It wasn't until I had successfully installed a pile of mods (NVEC + PN + many others) and had them working perfectly when I got the 'out of memory' error.  It was at this time i found out that MO should not be starting the NV launcher when it runs the 4gb exe, which it always does for me.  I have tried everything, the optional arguments (setting the specific exe and steamappID), changing all kinds of permission settings (which i think is the actual issue), added game root directory to windows PATH variable, even reinstalled the whole game to my D:/ as per another thread's suggestion.  Nothing is working, it is of my opinion that the MO people should know how to fix this.  NVSEloader.exe works fine by itself and so does the 4gb exe, but for some reason MO can't launch this correctly.  Please useful information only, if someone gives me some response like I'm some newb I'm gonna be pissed, please keep in mind I have scoured the net for answers to this.  Lots of people with this issue and no fix out there!!

I wanted to attach my log file but can't figure out how, so here's the relevant part, it loads FalloutNV.exe, then creates FalloutMO.exe, then for some reason it loads the launcher and does the same thing with it...

DEBUG (10:15:34.0145): get file attributes: C:\Users\Eleutherian\Documents\My Games\FalloutNV\FALLOUT.INI -> D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\ModOrganizer\profiles\Default\FALLOUT.INI: 21
INFO (10:15:34.0321): archive list limit removed at 00C44403
DEBUG (10:15:34.0405): create process (a) D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\FalloutNVLauncher.exe - "D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\FalloutNVLauncher.exe" (in null) - hooking
DEBUG (10:15:34.0420): hooks removed
-------------------------------
INFO (10:15:34.0427): Windows 6.2 (workstation)
INFO (10:15:34.0427): hook.dll v2.7.5
INFO (10:15:34.0427): Code page: 1252
INFO (10:15:34.0427): injecting to D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\FalloutNVLauncher.exe
INFO (10:15:34.0427): using profile Default
INFO (10:15:34.0427): data path is D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\data
DEBUG (10:15:34.0427): mods are in "D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\ModOrganizer\mods"
Edited by Artfu1D0dger

My logs sometimes show at least one of those 'Windows Exceptions' and I have not yet had the game(s) crash on me. This applies for all the games I have MO manage.

The actual code that generates these log entries has the following comment:

// don't want to break on non-critical exceptions. 0xe06d7363 indicates a C++ exception. why are those marked non-continuable? 

So all the exceptions that aren't that specific listed one are fine to ignore.

There have been a number of issues raised over the time that involved these log entries but since they don't seem to be repeatable and not every user sees exactly the same message nothing further has been, or could be, done. Keep in mind, as noted earlier they are flagged as INFO, so this indicates they shouldn't affect the game in a detrimental way.

Lastly, all these entries are from the 'hooking' system in MO and there is a new version currently being finalised by @Tannin.

Having your Steam install in Program Files(x86) likely isn't helping either. I'd consider moving Steam out of that directory into something non UAC.

Well u got the right idea xD; disabled UAC - User Access Control (slide bar to never notify) and that solved the Windows Exception (c0000005) errors which were coming from /exes/FalloutNV.exe

So does that mean everyone using Win 8/8.1 needs to work around the UAC conflicts?

Now my game crashed and the only error I could find was a Firewall rule error for Steam.exe eventho Windows Firewall is disabled.  Also if I attempt to use the -laaexe FalloutMO.exe argument, it will still start the launcher, so I'm still not sure what the deal is with that, so I still have to use the /exes/FalloutNV.exe but it appears to be working now...so far

My logs sometimes show at least one of those 'Windows Exceptions' and I have not yet had the game(s) crash on me. This applies for all the games I have MO manage.

Well I don't have any of those errors in my log file now, the last crash didn't even generate an error or any information in the MO log. Found the firewall error in event viewer.  Previously in the log files it was evident it wasn't MO causing the issue, apparently the (0) at the end of the 'creatfile' process indicates that it completed successfully, then it would throw the Windows Exception with an 'Origin': .../exes/FalloutNV.exe

and it was crashing my game in a big way, I didn't pin my whole log file cuz the last half of the file would be hundreds of this one line repeated

Edited by Artfu1D0dger

I just refuse to install anything in Program Files (x86) that is even likely to cause an issue, like Steam, or any non Steam type of games. I leave that directory for applications and programs that are simple or utility type stuff. Better than have the issue.

Of course I do have a quick 3 TB drive as well as the 465 Gig SSD, so space isn't a huge issue for me.

Edited by Nozzer66

back again xD...

I believe with UAC disabled and also must remove 'Run as Admin' from the properties of all .exes I had changed before, solved the win exception errors or at least from them showing up in my MO log, however I think I found the root of the issue, or perhaps another; this is from the User Profile Service log in Event Viewer and judging by the time stamp has been causing my latest crashes, here's the log file:

[spoiler=logfile]Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards. No user action is required.

DETAIL -
1 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-4197647373-3488106546-4049954321-1001_Classes:
Process 560 (\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-4197647373-3488106546-4049954321-1001_CLASSES

Updated: nevermind, this is caused from the game being shutdown forcefully, there's actually no error for this latest crash in Event Viewer or MO log :/, I'm not familiar with troubleshooting .dmp files...

UPDATED:

errors are back, I can't seem to find anywhere else that is causing this other than the relationship between hook.dll and /exes/FalloutNV.exe

[spoiler=relevant MO log info]DEBUG (14:30:06.0608): createfile w: data\sound\fx\wpn\riflevarmint\fire_2d\wpn_varmintriflefire2d_02.wav -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\Mod Organizer\mods\Improved Sound FX\sound\fx\wpn\riflevarmint\fire_2d\wpn_varmintriflefire2d_02.wav (80000000 - 3) = 000010FC (0)
INFO (14:30:07.0008): Windows Exception (c0000005). Origin: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\exes\FalloutNV.exe". Last hooked call: void *__stdcall FindFirstFileExW_rep(const unsigned short *,enum _FINDEX_INFO_LEVELS,void *,enum _FINDEX_SEARCH_OPS,void *,unsigned long)
INFO (14:30:07.0008): Windows Exception (c0000005). Origin: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\exes\FalloutNV.exe". Last hooked call: void *__stdcall CreateFileW_rep(const unsigned short *,unsigned long,unsigned long,struct _SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES *,unsigned long,unsigned long,void *)

[spoiler=Windows Error Reporting]Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: FalloutNV.exe
P2: 1.4.0.525
P3: 4e0d50ed
P4: hook.dll
P5: 2.5.6.0
P6: 53b1cb57
P7: c0000005
P8: 0000ecd4
P9:
P10:

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
C:\Users\Eleutherian\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_FalloutNV.exe_b66ccf5e9f3c255a9ec2ac15e4e0bd746a139_aac2e720_190b34b0

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 61e76dca-36f1-11e5-8275-40167e8ad9db
Report Status: 2050
Hashed bucket:

[spoiler=Application Error]Faulting application name: FalloutNV.exe, version: 1.4.0.525, time stamp: 0x4e0d50ed
Faulting module name: hook.dll, version: 2.5.6.0, time stamp: 0x53b1cb57
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000ecd4
Faulting process id: 0xdf0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0cadadd99a6be
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\exes\FalloutNV.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\Mod Organizer\hook.dll
Report Id: 61e76dca-36f1-11e5-8275-40167e8ad9db
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Edited by Artfu1D0dger

Thanks, all good useful diagnostic information. Sadly it may all be moot as @Tannin is already well along on an entirely new 'hooking' system and these may never be seen again.

Am I correct in assuming though your system is at least playable?

Thanks, all good useful diagnostic information. Sadly it may all be moot as @Tannin is already well along on an entirely new 'hooking' system and these may never be seen again.

Am I correct in assuming though your system is at least playable?

Well that certainly is good news :), and YES it's playable, I can play for a decent bit before it crashes so it could be a lot worse.  I do think all the things I've done to try and fix this has helped because it seemed like it was crashing much more often before.  I had a bunch of mods installed before, I was trying to get NVEC to work with PN and a bunch of the other common mods but the jsawyer in NVEC doesn't play well with PN (at least if you're going to use the rebalancing module) which is a shame because I really like a lot of jsawyer's changes.  Now I've taken out NVEC and jsawyer and am using PN + AWOP + RTS and a bunch of others (116 total in LO i think).  I'm tooling around with the RTS atm, i'm a total newb xD