Jaggarsfeld Extended (by TechAngel85)

This "renovation" of Jaggarsfeld isn't affiliated with STEP. It's just one of my personal pet projects so it's been a one-man show beside the people listed in the credits who have helped me out in one way or another. :thumbsup:

Well, in that case, all thanks goes to you :)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Major news for major change! Feedback requested!

Okay, this isn't a surprise to me but it might be for some of you. For a long while now I've been looking into expanding the basement to add in follower and child support, as well as, adding a library for more book storage for hoarders like myself and everyone else who plays with this home installed (even if it's just for the Trophy Hall). The "how" to do this has been the question and I've suspected for some time now the home would have to be redesigned a bit. I believe I have confirmed this to be true. Now the question everyone will be asking is what does "redesign" mean?

In order for me to add in all the features that have been requested and the ones I believe Jaggarsfeld needs, the cabin much be split into two different interior worldspaces; one for the upstairs and one for the basement. What this means is the upstairs will be it's own space and to be able to walk into the basement, the player will have to go through a separate loading door. The reason for this is the design of the farmhouses does not allow for further expansion. The actual meshes/texture do not exist in the game to allow for this type of planned expansion by creating doors and walls. At least none that I have been able to find, yet.

In this change, the upstairs will remain relatively unchanged besides the stairs. The stairs will be swapped out for ones with a door at the bottom. Entering this door will load the basement. That is it for the upstairs. In order for the changes to happen, the basement's design style must entirely change. The "rocky" farmhouse walls are no longer an option. My idea for this is to make it match the Trophy Hall's style (Snow Elf Ruins) to bring the mod together more. However, if users desire to keep the rocky look, the next best option is the Imperial design style. I have yet to scour through the modders resources to see if anything relevant is available for use, but for now I'm leaning towards making the basement more like the Trophy Hall. I can tie it all together eventually with a storyline (quest), for finding and owning Jaggarsfeld. This is, of course, making a deviation of the original concept that Jaggarsfeld is a lone hunter's retreat; however, the Trophy Hall doesn't play into that story very well...not at all really.

There are my current thoughts. I would very much like some feedback from all users, but especially those users who actually use and are familiar with Jaggarsfeld.

Major news for major change! Feedback requested!

Okay, this isn't a surprise to me but it might be for some of you. For a long while now I've been looking into expanding the basement to add in follower and child support, as well as, adding a library for more book storage for hoarders like myself and everyone else who plays with this home installed (even if it's just for the Trophy Hall). The "how" to do this has been the question and I've suspected for some time now the home would have to be redesigned a bit. I believe I have confirmed this to be true. Now the question everyone will be asking is what does "redesign" mean?

In order for me to add in all the features that have been requested and the ones I believe Jaggarsfeld needs, the cabin much be split into two different interior worldspaces; one for the upstairs and one for the basement. What this means is the upstairs will be it's own space and to be able to walk into the basement, the player will have to go through a separate loading door. The reason for this is the design of the farmhouses does not allow for further expansion. The actual meshes/texture do not exist in the game to allow for this type of planned expansion by creating doors and walls. At least none that I have been able to find, yet.

In this change, the upstairs will remain relatively unchanged besides the stairs. The stairs will be swapped out for ones with a door at the bottom. Entering this door will load the basement. That is it for the upstairs. In order for the changes to happen, the basement's design style must entirely change. The "rocky" farmhouse walls are no longer an option. My idea for this is to make it match the Trophy Hall's style to bring the mod together more. However, if users desire to keep the rocky look, the next best option is the Imperial design style. I have yet to scour through the modders resources to see if anything relevant is available for use, but for now I'm leaning towards making the basement more like the Trophy Hall. I can tie it all together eventually with a storyline (quest), for finding and owning Jaggarsfeld. This is, of course, making a deviation of the original concept that Jaggarsfeld is a lone hunter's retreat; however, the Trophy Hall doesn't play into that story very well...not at all really.

There are my current thoughts. I would very much like some feedback from all users, but especially those users who actually use and are familiar with Jaggarsfeld.

I like the idea greatly, though the first floor, basement, and Trophy Hall may need to be on 3 seperate loading areas.. at least for people who may have a lot of mods, it will allow stuff that is kept in the basement not to clutter loading time for the mass amount of stuff that may be kept in the trophy hall.

Edited by Tykune

I like the idea greatly, though the first floor, basement, and Trophy Hall may need to be on 3 seperate loading areas.. at least for people who may have a lot of mods, it will allow stuff that is kept in the basement not to clutter loading time for the mass amount of stuff that may be kept in the trophy hall.

They would all be in separate spaces ("loading areas"). The cabin and Trophy Hall already are in their own spaces. This move would simply put the basement in its own as well instead of being loaded with the main cabin level. You make a good point there (highlighted), but with the different cabin levels. Trophy Hall has always been in its own space (it would benefit from a layout change as well, but that's another subject for another time).

They would all be in separate spaces ("loading areas"). The cabin and Trophy Hall already are in their own spaces. This move would simply put the basement in its own as well instead of being loaded with the main cabin level. You make a good point there (highlighted), but with the different cabin levels. Trophy Hall has always been in its own space (it would benefit from a layout change as well, but that's another subject for another time).

Awesome, but there was a couple other things I noticed that were missing from the trophy hall as well. There is no place to put Thane weapons other than the weapon racks already available. I've wanted to use the middle and side racks from display of different sets of weapons and armors in the game, by metal and theme.. but to put the Thane weapons in their own section. I also felt that the guild weapons you receive in game might need their own spots as well (Staff of Magnus (Mages), Blade of Woe (Dark Brotherhood), and Chillrend (Thieve's Guild). Wuthraad is the exception since there is already a spot in the trophy hall for it, along with it's shield.

These are unique items that I usually just put in the display cases. However, I have thought about putting in a few more just for these sets and their armors because the guild armors do not have complete armor/weapons sets...just mainly the armors. Same holds true for the Blades armor. Displaying these on the existing mannequins doesn't make much sense since I see these being used for complete armor/weapon sets (steel armor with all steel weapons, etc).

I'm looking into this sort of thing, but it'll require a bit if a redesign to put in some occlusion planes. This is because the game is already taxed by loading so much at once in the Trophy Hall, but occlusion planes will help this issue out a lot and make the performance in the Hall much better.

EDIT:

Fixed my terrible message from my phone. Hate auto-correct sometimes!

Well, I've given this several days for the masses to tear apart my idea and it hasn't happened. So from this point on, I'll be moving forward with my plans to put the basement into its own worldspace (meaning you'll have to walk through a loading door to enter). My only concern is figuring out how to make the NPCs span across both spaces. Nothing to worry about at this stage since I haven't even dived into that stuff yet. I'll eventually have it set to once you enter the house, your follower will do their own thing.

Well, I've given this several days for the masses to tear apart my idea and it hasn't happened. So from this point on, I'll be moving forward with my plans to put the basement into its own worldspace (meaning you'll have to walk through a loading door to enter). My only concern is figuring out how to make the NPCs span across both spaces. Nothing to worry about at this stage since I haven't even dived into that stuff yet. I'll eventually have it set to once you enter the house, your follower will do their own thing.

Sounds like a solid plan.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just wanted to pop in to say that I know it's been a while since I've worked on this project, but it's not dead. The type of editing this mod takes is the type where you sit down for several hours at a time and work. I simply have not had the time to do this with the holidays and my work schedule.

I still need to sit down and plan out some of the changes in order to add the feature I want to add. I would really like the authors to hand over the mod to me entirely so I can really have the freedom to do as I wish, but it's been months and they still haven't even read my emails. They seem to have gone completely MIA since my first contact with them.

When will I be able to pick this project back up? That's a good question. Most likely it will be after the holidays in January or February sometime. Currently the mod is "fixed" besides the scripts being replaced, so you can enjoy it as is for now.

Happy Holidays to everyone and I'll look forward to having the time to mod this mod again!

The Library
Finally, the large obvious room that everyone has been looking at is the library. I have been asked for a place for more book storage and, personally, I would like the same. There is already too much going on upstairs, so now you have a library capable of holding 594 books, spell tomes, journals, etc; an upgrade from the current storage space in Jaggarsfeld that is only 162 books.
The large pieces along the sides are the bookshelves. The small pieces between the shelves are pedestals with open display books on top. That piece at the bottom, will be the current scroll storage that is upstairs. Last, but not least, is a desk and chair a the top for the Dragonborn to conduct his/her business. I'll probably add some sort of seating in the middle to fill the space and have a place for book reading.

So there you have it. Work on this project will take some time and will begin after I feel like I've given sufficient time for users to provide their feedback on this layout.

And AWESOME on the library! I love it. I cant remember how many books are in the vanilla game and how many are in the compendium mod. Should be able to fit them all! lol

Jaggarsfeld Extended looks great! It looks like you've put a lot of work into this, Tech.

I'm excited about the expanded library. That is my favorite new feature. The Elder Scrolls Wiki list of available books shows there are 409 books available to the player in vanilla Skyrim, not including spell tomes, recipes, journals or letters. The Tamriel Compendium adds 177 books. This totals to 586 books, leaving 8 spots remaining.

Or, if you do not use the Tamriel Compendium mod, there is still room for all Spell Tomes and Journals to be put in the Library (totals 592, leaving 2 spots remaining).

Spell Tomes (93 total)

Journals (90 total)

Recipes (28 total)

Letters (?)

I've always wanted a full library available to me in one home. I personally would never store journals, letters and recipes with the library. They go in a separate drawer, or chest. I might with excess Spell Tomes, but with some spells only available once in the game (and being used upon reading), it could never be "complete". It doesn't really make sense in my mind to keep them in the library anyway.

I think I may use the Tamriel Compendium, and even then I will still have room for all "normal" books with the new library if I use this mod.

Edited by Nebulous112

Thanks, the main mod has all issues fixed which are present in the original mod. The expansions aren't completed yet but are still coming. The main difference between the Beta and main file are the new scripts for storage. I'm trying to get the original authors to let me branch this mod off as a fork rather than what it is now. This would allow me the freedom to do so much more.

Yeah, that's an unfortunate situation. Hopefully they get in touch one of these days. Once they see all the work you've put into it, I have no doubt they would hand you the keys and tell you to drive.

Regarding the expansions, I look forward to the update in the new year, then, whenever you find the time.

Reading about the planned library got me thinking. Since it seems to fit so perfectly with being a collector's library (holding one of each book in the game), I'm wondering if it's possible to implement any scripts for the library to help such a collection. Such as automatically alphabetizing the books on display in the bookshelves, for instance. I'm not sure if something like this is even possible, much less easy enough to pull off to be worth the effort. But it would be neat. :-)

Edited by Nebulous112