Difficult to Understand

ray0071

Question

If I could make a suggestion it would be to make the guide easier to understand.  

Example:  2.B Clean the Update ESM - I got stuck on it because what the instruction were stating was not what I was encountering with Mod Organizer.  

When someone knowledgeable creates a guide, they can tend to skip over details which they assume others know.  For those who rely heavily on the guide, this is a huge problem.  

To be clear - I appreciate the work everyone has put into this project.  Huge respect to all of you.  My comments are just my own personal views/feedback.

RayT

• +1 1

Remember be saying to search for GamerPoets? For the Patch section:

STEP Patches - We're creating an installer for this that is dummy proof. The installer will tell you what you can install. No knowledge needed. Will be released next version of STEP.

Bashed Patch - Video is here

Dual Sheath Redux - Video is here

Better Shaped Weapons - this one should be easy

Fores New Idles - Video is here

DynDOLOD - Video is here

So, are you not going into the mod pages on the wiki because all the videos are there on the mod pages... :whistling:

Will STEP 2.3.0 be the final version?

Hi Greg,  Thanks for the step by step instructions.  You made the effort to write this, so I will point out areas I am having difficulty with - perhaps it can help others.

Watch the Gamer Poets videos that TechAngel linked for some really great step-by-step instructions on creating the patches. When you get to the DynDOLOD video, pay attention to how Michael at Gamer Poets sets the output directory when he runs the Worlds script. i never really thought about doing it this way, but it is significantly simplified.

The key take away here is that assume you installed Mod Organizer into the C:\ModOrganizer folder so your installed mods are in C:\ModOrganizer\mods. Michael runs TES5Edit, selects the Words scripts, sets the output folder to C:\ModOrganizer\mods\DynDOLOD Output, and runs the Worlds script. After the script finishes, he exits TES5Edit, saves DynDOLOD.esp, and Mod Organizer magically shows the new DynDOLOD Ouput mod in the left pane. Hopefully this will make a lot more sense when you get to that part of the video.

Hi guys.

I've made an esp to go over the New World modder's resource. I can manage to LOD the landscape with Oscape and some fooling about, but I have not yet once gotten the object LODs to work by any method.

When I try to do it with dyndolod, I can get it to complete but it reads the New World worldspace only from the ESM and not taking my ESP into account, so that I just get a new LOD of the "vanilla" space. I wonder is it likely that I'm doing something wrong or is the whole plan just faulty from the outset? Will I be able to generate static lods for this space?

I've also been having the CMD line crash during the process, but dyndolod completes anyway. I have tried various suggestions I found online to remedy this but have had no luck.

If anyone could point me in any useful direction I'd be very grateful.

Hi guys.

I've made an esp to go over the New World modder's resource. I can manage to LOD the landscape with Oscape and some fooling about, but I have not yet once gotten the object LODs to work by any method.

When I try to do it with dyndolod, I can get it to complete but it reads the New World worldspace only from the ESM and not taking my ESP into account, so that I just get a new LOD of the "vanilla" space. I wonder is it likely that I'm doing something wrong or is the whole plan just faulty from the outset? Will I be able to generate static lods for this space?

I've also been having the CMD line crash during the process, but dyndolod completes anyway. I have tried various suggestions I found online to remedy this but have had no luck.

If anyone could point me in any useful direction I'd be very grateful.

Welcome to STEP.

You might have better luck if you post this in a more appropriate topic. This is a very specific topic about user's views on the STEP guided install, if you post this in the DynDoLOD thread you have better chances of an answer.

Welcome to STEP.

You might have better luck if you post this in a more appropriate topic. This is a very specific topic about user's views on the STEP guided install, if you post this in the DynDoLOD thread you have better chances of an answer.

Ah, ok, sorry about that. I thought that's what this was but I see now that I typed in the wrong window. My mistake. Will copy it to there now. Thanks a lot. Feel free to delete.

Edited by MurderClan

Remember be saying to search for GamerPoets? For the Patch section:

STEP Patches - We're creating an installer for this that is dummy proof. The installer will tell you what you can install. No knowledge needed. Will be released next version of STEP.

Bashed Patch - Video is here

Dual Sheath Redux - Video is here

Better Shaped Weapons - this one should be easy

Fores New Idles - Video is here

DynDOLOD - Video is here

So, are you not going into the mod pages on the wiki because all the videos are there on the mod pages... :whistling:

And hence me saying trying to do some pre-reading and check everything. Thanks.

Something strange going on, cause those links were not there in the detailed instructions I was looking at.  I spent hours reading over the instructions, I would have surely noticed big red arrow on an otherwise colorless page.

Were the links recently put up?

Edited by ray0071

Trying to wrap my head around how I could have missed those video links.  

I reinstalled some mods during the Patches part (said I was missing some esp files etc).  By doing so would that put everything out of order? 

In which case is there any quick solution or am I looking at doing the entire guide over again from the start?

Just a quick question about the Mod Organizer.  Mine keeps telling me there is a download in progress when there isn't any.  Each time to go to close it warns me about it.  Has anyone else encountered this?  Is there a way correct this?

Edited by ray0071

If you reinstalled mods, you should have simply selected "Replace" when MO prompted. That keeps things in order. If not, simply drag the mod up to the right position in the left pane in MO.

For the download, check you Downloads tab and look for a mod that hasn't downloaded completely or was cancelled. Right click on that mod and delete it. That will fix that message.

Nope, you should be able to drag and drop anything that's out of order in the left pane back into it's desired place fine. LOOT should sort out the right pane.

That is good news.  Is there a way I can cross reference my mod order with a 'proven' one?  An image which I can compare mine to?

Also, some mods have been updated, should I go ahead and update them or would this mess things up?

Update:

Actually don't bother.  I am burned out from this process.  I must be in order to have spent an entire day trying to get through Patches when there were video links at the bottom all along.  Bizarre how I could have missed them seeing that I actively look for video links on each and every mod.

Anyway, I am near certain I made many mistakes during the guide.  In many places I assumed things, which will likely cause problems - if not initially, then later on.  Going to delete everything, install a fresh version of Skyrim, maybe add a few mods and call it a day.

Thanks to everyone who offered assistance.  This is just too much of a tedious process for me, and without engrossing myself - I cannot see me successfully complete it.

Happy gaming.

Edited by ray0071

You can do it man! When I started this whole thing I did I think 4 Step Installs before I figured everything out. (about 2 months) If you keep at it you'll figure it all out! Every time you get stuck just google your problem. Almost every error is covered in a google search. On top of that you have this thread, plus the Game Poets and Gopher Videos. Once you figure it out, have 5 totally different profiles with totally different play styles. It'll be worth it! And really.. you got be a huge Skyrim fan! lol

I'd give you my load order but I don't run STEP Extended.

I could possibly knock it together over the next 24 hours or so, and post it for you.

EDIT: If you put the mods in the order that STEP suggests, ie the order they come in on the guide, you're pretty much right. Add all the needed LOOT rules, run LOOT and then the patchers.

You'll be fine.

The way I do it is do each section, check that there's no missing masters, if there is, then check to make sure the missing master isn't installed later in the guide. If it is, just untick the one that's at fault, run the game and see what things look like. 

Take your time. Be painstaking, and double check everything. You'll be fine.

Edited by Nozzer66