MOD organizer application wont start afterr running the exe

InsaneSkyrimModder

Question

I just installed MOD organizer from the Nexus website. I tried opening the mod organizer exe file but nothing happens. I checked the back ground processes in the task manager and i could find an instance of mod manager. but the application doesn't open at all. I then close that process by using the "end process option" then tried opening the exe but the same thing happens. I used to mod like crazy an year back . But now i started again. before the win 10 update when i first installed it , it was working. but after the win 10 update it doesn't work. please help me to open the MOD organizer ... i want to be a modding freak gain.

post-7579-0-07998000-1438388873_thumb.png

Have you tried re-downloading and re-installing Mod Organizer? Also, did you install Mod Organizer 1.3.8 from Nexus? It might be a big confusing because Mod Organizer 1.3.8 are the last two files in MAIN FILES section on Nexus. The first two are older versions for Windows XP.

Did that as well. Also i ran them in compatibility mode and administrator mode ... hmm still nothing worked out. I searched online for problems similar to this, seems like some nexus mod manager users faced the same problem, tried using some of their fixes by uninstalling and deleting the installation logs , still nothing worked out. :(

I think Mod Organizer makes it significantly easier to set up profiles for testing, so absolutely yes. I usually keep a Vanilla profile that contains just the vanilla mods and the unofficial patches, a STEP Extended profile, and a Test profile so I can switch profiles to go between the three.

@GrantSP: dude am an old modder ... it used to open up withing seconds. But now i've waited for hours But still the same result. It just stays as an background process but doesn't start running. Only when it starts to run as an application it will create those  files. I do know that there are some folders missing, which would be there if it starts running.

If you need any other information regarding the problem condition ask me i ll give .

Well the only clue we can go on is the fact Win10 was installed in between it working and now. I don't have MO installed on a working Win10 system but many here do and don't see any issues. There have been statements about Win10 being very restrictive with permissions, maybe do a double/triple check that that exe has full permission on that folder.

Are there any logs, no matter how small, created in the MO folder?

I'm really at a loss, there should be no difference in Win10 and Win8 with how MO runs.

If you installed Mod Organizer in C:\Program Files, C:\Program Files (x86), the Steam folder, or the Skyrim folder, uninstall it and install it in a directory you create (somewhere like C:\Games or C:\Tools) so you have full permission. You don't need to run Mod Organizer as an administrator or with administrative privileges.

I am giving up .. i ll wait till tomorrow and delete this post . ty for all the help. maybe at a later time someone might find a solution for this .

Do not delete posts on these forums (you can't actually), but don't go back and edit them away with a "deleted this post" message or anything like that. STEP retains all posts for informational purposes.

Good thing i never gave up . SO my Skyrim was in H:/steamlibrary/...etc  drive and the mod organizer was in G:/games drive . ( this **** is funny ) I moved (ctrl x then pasted) the game to G drive under similar folder naming like steam and also made steam recognize it by deleting old local content and reinstalling in this folder ( steam instead of downloading it recognizes the files ) . About this time it was running. then after a few days i forgot that i already have a mod organizer linked skyrim . now i installed another and started running . this is when it didnt start working ... neither the old nor the new one. then i tried various stuff .. now i uninstalled everything and moved ( like before ) the game to its old location and installed the mod organizer in the first location it was ..... and wow it started working again .

though its working now ... i need help as to why it didnt work earlier .. so that next time i reinstall mod organizer this doesnt happen.. .thank you everyone for helping me .

ohh and one small addition to this ... i made steam to verify local cache content ( after moving things back to the old location, and before reinstalling mod organizer again ) and it said one file is corrupted or something, dont remember( this should be some file created by old mod organizer i guess ) so it either deleted it or  downloaded one file.

Hope this helps the community

And yeah no more sleep tonight... MODDING MODDING MODDING :P 

Sorry, I expected to have windows 10 during the rollout when i updated my signature, its not actually installed yet.  I better wait on this install until i get it i suppose, but I will update the forum if there is anything unusual.

Moving your Skyrim install resulted in an incorrect registry setting. MO makes a check in HKLM\Software\Bethesda Softworks\Skyrim\Installed Path and I am assuming whichever way you moved it didn't update that registry setting.

The verification by Steam will have no bearing on any files other than those provided by Steam, so nothing MO had installed or modified was touched by that step.