Warburgs Detailed Paper World Map (by Warburg)

Besidilo

Hmm I'd say Warbug's mod actually is the better choice if you want to reproduce a realistic drawn paper map feel as opposed to the "GPS" one.

The "classic" option of Quality World Map still doesn't achieve the same physical or paper look and feel imho.

For comparison :

A Quality World Map "classic" : paper texture applied on to the original "satellite view" 3D map.

Warbug's "texture 2" : drawn map (eg : the mountains are symbolized rather than reproducing the real geography/altitude).

Edited by Fereval

Hmm I'd say Warbug's mod actually is the better choice if you want to reproduce a realistic drawn paper map feel as opposed to the "GPS" one.

The "classic" option of Quality World Map still doesn't achieve the same physical or paper look and feel imho.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, I have never actually seen Warburg's on my system, just the videos. Doesn't the 'paper look' map still provide the height map effect? That's why I feel it misses the mark. It's either a paper map or it isn't.

Don't get me wrong, I think the skill involved in producing that map is great but as a tool to use it seems a bit... odd.

Yes, it is still 3D. Which is quite disappointing I would rather have a full 2D paper map. It must be a terrible thing to mod as no one has done it yet...

Edit: One thing with Warburg's mod is that it works terribly with new lands. A fix for that breaks the floating icons on the map in vanilla areas. Anyone know how to just remove those floating icons altogether? I could live with the map being nothing but a basic map.

Edited by Spiffyman

• 3 weeks later...

Candy and nuts guys.

The Dwemer had the ability (and the Thalmor know how to use it) to project a map of the entire Tamriel worldspace, so a 3D map of just a portion of it (Skyrim) isn't out of the realm of possibility, any more than carrying Warburg's 2D map superimposed on a 3D terrain model in your pocket is.......

Personally, I prefer the look of paper - not a satellite image.    Liu Kang (I mean Warburg) wins!!!!

Actually, is not hard, but time-consuming. 

First You need to make the map flat (easy task, just scale the mesh, it's the bigger .bto cloud mesh, to 0 on z-axis with nifskope).

Then, and the actual job, You need to edit each and every map location and set the same height to the one of the map (since it's flat now, all the heights will be the same)

I don't know how many locations You have in total, but here you have a picture of all the vainilla locations, without DLCs.

Skyrimmap.png

I started to do it once, after 20 locations I just gave up and went back to the 3D mesh paper world map.

Hope you got more patience than I do, I still want a flat map, but I don't have the time nor the patience to do it.

Edited by Hackfield

Yeah, I am preparing a new playthrough now and I am not going to use Warburg's due to map marker issues. 

I really liked it in my previous play though, especially the ability to switch off the player marker, so you only had a rough indication of where you are in the map - as the map centers on player's location when you open it. 

Not having the exact position added to immersion I must say. I wish the same option was in the 3D map...

• 1 month later...

Actually, is not hard, but time-consuming. 

First You need to make the map flat (easy task, just scale the mesh, it's the bigger .bto cloud mesh, to 0 on z-axis with nifskope).

Then, and the actual job, You need to edit each and every map location and set the same height to the one of the map (since it's flat now, all the heights will be the same)

I don't know how many locations You have in total, but here you have a picture of all the vainilla locations, without DLCs.

Skyrimmap.png

I started to do it once, after 20 locations I just gave up and went back to the 3D mesh paper world map.

Hope you got more patience than I do, I still want a flat map, but I don't have the time nor the patience to do it.

I wonder if making a SkyProc patcher for that would work?  I do know a little about java, but nothing about making skyrim mods.  What record would need to be changed?

I wonder if making a SkyProc patcher for that would work?  I do know a little about java, but nothing about making skyrim mods.  What record would need to be changed?

Actually, that could work. The record is the "Cell Z Offset" inside the "ONAM - World Map Offset Data" in "Worldspace",  and should be set to the height of the map plane inside the .bto mesh. I think the default value in warburg's is "44072.960938" but this should be adjusted after editing the .bto

Edited by Hackfield

• 2 months later...

Wouldn't we all love a proper 2D map :^_^:

The reality is I've spent an insane amount of time trying to implement a 2D version of my maps, but unfortunately it breaks too many things.  The main issue is flattening all the world map icons onto the same Z plane.  The actual flattening of the icons is easy to do, but it breaks location discovery.  The map icons are tied to actual locations in the real game world, so when you move a map location icon, it also moves the ring for discovery of the location.  For example, say you try and flatten High Hrothgar map icon; the actual location discovery circle would be inside the base of the mountain, so you would never discover it (or maybe just walking around near the base would discover it, but that isn't right).

I've conferred with many other mod developers on a possible solution (including the people that work on A Quality World Map, and SKY UI) and we all come up with no solutions for the issue.  We concluded that it is a problem with the engine that cannot be solved without overhauling it.

As I love using paper maps to navigate the world, the closest I could get to achieve this is laying the texture over the 3D mesh, and changing the camera to a fixed 90 degree angle looking down so that you barely notice the 3D effect.  Some like the 3D, some don't, but it's the best we can do with the limitations.

Edited by Warburg
  • +1 4

Wouldn't it theoretically be possible to keep the original map as it is, but to create a total conversion of it into 2D which is accessible trough a different hotkey which displays only the information that would've been displayed if the player would open up the regular map instead? Eg. only those map markers will show, if the map markers from the original map would show as well? Through "hotlinks" it might be possible to even interact with the map markers from the paper map if they would just redirect the action to the map markers on the original map. I don't know how hard this would be to implement, but given that the paper maps with corresponding markers are already drawn the only thing one needed to do is create a skse or mcm function that would open up the secondary as an extra resource and the the linking of the markers from primary and secondary map. I am no modder by any means, I'm just thinking that this could be a workaround for the engine's limitations.

• 6 months later...

Huston I've a problem:

My map Warburg's map is covered by a gray, unified, fog, I've guessed it was ENB, but by disabling it, change near, nothing.
I'm using MO, so it would be easy to try a different profile, with nothing but the Unofficial Patch and Warbug's Map only, and the damned fog still there!

I've played for years without any problems but now, I'm not able to solve it :(
I've googled for 3 days but I've found nothing so please help me to get back the beloved map  :blush:

Huston I've a problem:

My map Warburg's map is covered by a gray, unified, fog, I've guessed it was ENB, but by disabling it, change near, nothing.

I'm using MO, so it would be easy to try a different profile, with nothing but the Unofficial Patch and Warbug's Map only, and the damned fog still there!

I've played for years without any problems but now, I'm not able to solve it :(

I've googled for 3 days but I've found nothing so please help me to get back the beloved map  :blush:

i have the exact same issue.

Ok I've achieved to fix it, by re-downloading and re-installing it !!!  :woot:

[guide for noobs] 

in MO, I've deleted the old installation, than I've downloaded all files, options included, so:

1) Texture 2

2) Beta Dragonborn - Addon

3) Dawnguard - Addon

4) No Player Marked for Texture 2 - Addon

then I've installed everything on the same folder, which I've called Warburgs 3D Paper World Map - Texture 2 - original

So, obviously, after that you have installed the first package (texture2), you have to keep the same name for all other option and, obviously, use the Merge option.

Edited by MaximilianPs