RUSTIC MONUMENTS and TOMBSTONES (by SparrowPrince and Gamwich)

rootsrat

The repeating isn't something you could fix without changing the entire mesh. I believe someone did make a mod like that. Don't know about the quality of the textures though.

Part of the reason the vanilla is lighter isn't the diffuse values, it's the fact the normal map is more reflective. Too much really, as the stone looks plastic in the vanilla lighting. Anyway, lightening the mortar isn't really an issue. It can be done easily enough. 

Yeah, the repeating would be near impossible to fix in a good way, so not expecting that to actually happen. Even a 8k texture would probably look somewhat blurred out I'd imagine, and I can only fear the effect it'd have on the weaker rigs.

The image I provided is from the diffuse loaded into photoshop, so the diffuse is indeed lighter in vanilla. I do believe the vanilla lighting fits better with the other textures on the mesh, at least on my right.

The 2nd issue as with the repetitiveness I think Bethesda tried to solve with making the names much harder to read and as such made it harder to notice.

I do think your approach looks better bar the fact that it makes it easier to notice that the texture is repetitive.

Not that I have any sort of stake in this discussion, but I prefer the names to be readable. It's probably just me, but personally I'd read a few, think "wow - that's a nice touch!" and move on, never even noticing that there were duplicates. However, having something I should be able to read but can't? That I'd notice much more than the repeating texture.

I'm not arguing making it unreadable (at least not anymore, even if it might have sounded like it in one of my earlier posts), just that I think Bethesda might have done it so to reduce the image of it being repetitive.

I actually like the improvement it gives making it readable. I probably wouldn't have noticed it being repeated in the first place had I not compared the textures in Photoshop.

You have to take into account how the textures are seen in the game. The wall mesh is very large, and the corridor they are located in is quite narrow. Therefore, you normally only see a section of the wall at any given time as you walk past in game. You actually have to stop and study the wall for the repeats to be obvious. That's no different than most architectural textures in the game. A stone wall has an obvious repeat for instance. When you consider that that wall is called the "500" wall after the followers of Ysgramor, then you quickly come to terms with the fact that there are no where near 500 stone markers on that wall. After that, the repetition doesn't seem like a big deal. The entire thing is just an impression, not an accurate depiction.

If either of you would care to test them out, I revised both the diffuse and normal map of the 500 Wall. It should look more like the vanilla values, just a lot more detail.

Edit: File deleted since mod has been updated

Edited by Gamwich

Lol, I had tried them last night and was going to post some compares today. You're too quick for us, Gamwich! ;-)

I did like the look of the new textures in game, though. Blended in a bit nicer with the area.

Edit: I forgot to say thank you for the update. :-)

Lol, I had tried them last night and was going to post some compares today. You're too quick for us, Gamwich! ;-)

I did like the look of the new textures in game, though. Blended in a bit nicer with the area.

Edit: I forgot to say thank you for the update. :-)

I revised it a bit more from the version that you downloaded. The normal map has some subtle changes, and the spectral layer lets more light through to the mortar part of the texture as well. I think I'm done playing with it for now.  :;):

Edited by Gamwich

• 10 months later...