High end pc with low fps.

Swedge

Question

I have a pretty good pc

CPU: Intel I7 4790k 4.6ghz (Very well cooled, No throttling)

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero

Graphics: Asus Poseidon Platinum GTX 980 x2 SLI

RAM: Corsair Vengence Pro 1866mhz

Running Skyrim from an hdd

I've completed the Skyrim revisited guide and I'm having low framerate in some areas. I disabled the enb but left the boost on and that helped in most areas but a few are still terrible.

None of my cpu cores are maxing out and my gpus are not taxed very much at all. 

I've tried running the game with and without SLI and there is no difference in framerate. The attached photo is of my system usage in a trouble area. I'm always at the vsync limit of 60 unless I get into an area like this. When you first enter the Whiterun gate and there are npcs there. I've tried removing all the npcs but that doesn't help performance at all. In this location I get 39-52fps not moving, standing at the gate. When moving closer to the market my fps goes up and when I get to breezehome it's 60. Looking from Dragonsreach down on gildergleam and everything else nets a terrible 35-45fps. If you need anymore info just ask and thank you in advance!

post-7719-0-67090500-1440613642_thumb.png

5 answers to this question

Looking down from Dragonsreach is actually one of the most taxing points in the game from my experience. I'm not at home to check my performance but imagine shadows cause the most slowdown. As a test, set the fShadowDistance to 4000 from the ultra value of 8000 and see if you get better results.

• +1 2

Really? Complaining that 35-45 FPS is 'terrible' is a bit ridiculous, especially for Skyrim. Not even the best gaming computer on Earth can deliver 60 FPS in all areas with a highly-modded setup :no:

Anything regularly exceeding 30 FPS is perfectly playable. Averaging 50+ is ideal, so I'd say you are in the 'ideal' category already.

As neo says, this is one of the most taxing areas of the game. the other one is looking out over the landscape near the Solitude gate (a bit down the path). Another is in/around Riften.

Looking down from Dragonsreach is actually one of the most taxing points in the game from my experience. I'm not at home to check my performance but imagine shadows cause the most slowdown. As a test, set the fShadowDistance to 4000 from the ultra value of 8000 and see if you get better results.

I understand why you are The Dragon King. Thank you so much for all your work on the guide, I'd really like to know how you figured all this stuff out for Skyrim modding! But I digress, lowering the shadow resolution didn't help when I tried it but your idea of lowering the shadow distance worked oddly enough! I find that really odd because none of my components were being used very heavily... Could you explained that to me? xD

Really? Complaining that 35-45 FPS is 'terrible' is a bit ridiculous, especially for Skyrim. Not even the best gaming computer on Earth can deliver 60 FPS in all areas with a highly-modded setup :no:

Anything regularly exceeding 30 FPS is perfectly playable. Averaging 50+ is ideal, so I'd say you are in the 'ideal' category already.

As neo says, this is one of the most taxing areas of the game. the other one is looking out over the landscape near the Solitude gate (a bit down the path). Another is in/around Riften.

Anything is possible! xD 60FPS at Dragonsreach looking down on the npcs and such. :) You guys are awesome!

You are correct, it is possible to get those frames if you lower some key settings ... but, alas, not with all settings maxed. It is also arguably possible that you will still get some dips with SR:LE (or even STEP) ... try that location on the ridge outside of Solitude.

I would much rather give up frame rate (30+ anyway) than give up shadows and certain other graphical tweaks, but for me, performance/quality trade-offs always favor quality. You must be more concerned with performance (wich may be quality to some extent if your brain can actually tell any major difference between 35-45 and 60 :P).

To each his own ...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Use.