No Stretching (by Langley)

JudgmentJay

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone done some research on where to place this mod in a load order? Before or after USKP SMIM, Better Rocks/Mountains, Water?

Better Rocks and Mountains meshes are no longer needed if you use No Stretching, see my post before yours.

'Load Order' is irrelevant here - No Stretching files are loose mesh files, there is no esp to 'order'

Because No Stretching files are loose file 'replacers' (they replace game original meshes with the same name), they will always win and end up in game (Loose replacer files win over game originals, and other replacer files contained in mods bsa's - So that also answers USKP, USKP has its files in a bsa, so No Stretching files being loose will win ... Although USKP I think does not cover these meshes yet so there is no conflict)

'Install Order' is important though, in the case of SMIM and W.A.T.E.R, which ever set of files you install last will overwrite the formers meshes with the same folder and filenames.

If you want SMIM or WATER files to win, install them after No Stretching, so that the files which conflict are overwritten. If you want No Stretching files fixes instead, install No Stretching last .. easy choice.

Just remember this simplification of how the game loads ..

Exe runs,

Loads its esm

Loads its bsa's (bsa is like a zip; full of textures / meshes / sounds etc)

Then depending on your load order loads your mods esp's, and bsa's

Then loads loose files (if they are referenced by your mods esps ... OR .. If they are replacers)

In all cases, Last loaded wins

So if inside one of the official game original bsa's you have ..

textures \ creatures \ monster.dds

And you install a mods bsa which also contains ..

The mods texture inside its bsa (being loaded later than the games bsa) will win.

And then you also install a loose file ...

The loose file texture will end up in game.

Same goes for any resource, including meshes.

To further complicate the above, custom replacer meshes can throw a spanner in the works

If you look at a mesh in NIFScope, you will find paths to textures to be applied to that mesh

So a game original monster.nif mesh will refer to the original texture ..

Now you install a mods monster.nif, which has had the path of the texture changed to ..

textures \ myawesomehirescritters \ monsterpink.dds

And the mod comes with that texture as a loose file.

Even if you install a loose replacer for the original texture the game will not load it, because it will look for the texture specified in the loose mesh ...

Now have a look at SMIM again :), you are going to have to get detailled on what you want to win and end up in game. Read Brumbeks descriptions carefully.

Edit: Probably more info than you wanted, sorry :).

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I personally still use this mod. I've looked at the images provided, and I still can't see why they say the mountain UVs look a mess. They look fine to me. I guess I'm not as well attuned as to what a mess looks like, but I simply cannot see the problem.

This mod makes the rock look scrunched up, effectively turning much of the igneous rock into some kind of metamorphic rock or even lava flows in some cases.

I personally think that the vanilla mountain meshes are better without the UV remapping (in most cases but not all). The meshes need way more work than just UV remapping (Brumbek knows about this and seems to be taking on small chunks here and there).

This post has the rationale

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

...perhaps some suggestions about which files to remove and disable, if we still wanted to use this mod, with a more recent STEP-type installation, circa 2.2.9.2, would be helpful.  Maybe thats something even lowly punter I could do, editing back once I get there.

• 7 months later...