CAN"T BUY BREEZEHOME!

Skywalker123

Question

HI, I just started a new play through. But there is no option for me to buy Breezehome after became the Thane of the Whiterun (and Lydia's dialogue seems bugged as well - she just shouted at me no normal housecarl dialogue) . Tried troubleshooting a bit - reload previous save, ask during different hours etc, didn't work.

My setup is SR:LE + some weapon and armor mods. Is there anyone had the similar issue? any possible mod conflict may cause the issue? 

7 answers to this question

Obvious question as it's possible I believe to become thane without doing the mission for the jarl - have you done the Bleak Falls Barrow quest?  That is the primary requirement for buying Breezehome.

Yes, I followed the normal main quest line. All mods seem behave ok.

After digging hard on the internet I found there are some people having the same problem - "No option to buy Breezehome and Lydia is using throw voice lines". But no one knows what causes it and how to fix it.

The issue persist even I deactivated all the mods and reloaded the save, seems like the damage has been done to all the saves.

My suspicion is on mods that alter quests may have conflict with another mod - Alternate Start; The Choice is yours etc.

Have you tried using the force? *badum tsh*

Edit: Tech check your innamabox.

Sorry, do you mean use the shout after kill the first dragon? yes I did.

I'm assuming quets commands could fix this? They should have everything listed on UESP. Maybe also try cleaning the save.

Set quest on previous stages or load the previous saves /clean the saves didn't work - still no option for buying. Use console command to remove Lydia from player faction fix her throw voice issue (but no idea what caused it).  

Yes, I followed the normal main quest line. All mods seem behave ok.

After digging hard on the internet I found there are some people having the same problem - "No option to buy Breezehome and Lydia is using throw voice lines". But no one knows what causes it and how to fix it.

The issue persist even I deactivated all the mods and reloaded the save, seems like the damage has been done to all the saves.

My suspicion is on mods that alter quests may have conflict with another mod - Alternate Start; The Choice is yours etc.

I have the same issues Skywalker. No dialogue option from Proventus Avenicci to buy Breezehome, and Lydia insults me when I first speak to her...the nerve LOL. Yes, she is somehow bugged with the Throw Voice dragon shout.

I'm going to say we can rule out Alternate Start because I didn't install that mod in my build, and have stripped it out of the Conflict Resolution plugin so it's not a required master. My game was started without Alternate Start ever being a part of any game save. I can't speak for The Choice is Yours, as that mod is in my game.

I just started noticing these issues yesterday for the first time, and started Googling for a resolution. I've seen reported posts for the issue from back in 2012, and many point to a connection between the missing Breezehome dialoge with Proventus and Lydia not being able to display her dialogue as housecarl.

Time to dig into the issue some more.

OK, found this solution for the Throw Voice / Follower bug, and it makes a lot of sense. I just tried it, and so far it seems to have worked on Lydia. The issue with Proventus remains, so maybe I can find how to fix it.

The problem isn't with a mod or anything else like that in most cases, the issue is actually the papyrus engine itself which is not the most stable engine in the world and has it's issues (such as glitches, bugs, etc). 

What is happening is that when a mod is installed/removed or an NPC changes factions (becomes a follower, spouse, etc), or dies when not supposed to/glitches/is resurrected via console, etc their faction is sometimes changed to the player faction by the papyrus engine.

This means that they are considered the player for the purpose of shouts/actions/etc, and their default speech is being switched over to the player's dragon shout ability "throw voice" and is calling this ability whenever their speech is to be called (this can happen intermittently).

To fixing this issue is actually quite easy. Simply open up the console by hitting the ~ key on the keyboard, then left click on the affected NPC and type the following:

addfac DB1 -1

Then hit enter and close the console by hitting the ~ key on the keyboard again.

This will remove the affected NPC from the player faction (which is not the follower's faction so no worries on loosing your follower as the player faction is supposed to contain only the player and none other anyways).

And viola! you should now be able to interact with said NPC and no longer get any odd dragon shouts that don't belong to them. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Use.