What is the proper format for -g comand line arguments?

Wenwrendo

Question

Could somebody give me an example of an accurate -g command line argument used to specify the game for Wrye Bash to manage?

I have both Skyrim and Oblivion and am using Wrye Bash Standalone to manage Oblivion. Wrye Bash is installed in a separate folder from my Oblivion installation, and I like it that way except for this.

When I click on Wrye Bash.exe, it gives me the message:

"Wrye Bash could not determine which game to manage.  The following games have been detected, please select one to manage. [below it lists Skyrim and Oblivion.]

To prevent this message in the future, use the -g command line argument to specify the game"

So, I can click on Oblivion and everything works, no problem. But it's annoying.

I've set up a -g command line before but forgot the right format.

1. I created a shortcut of Wrye Bash.exe
2. Under the properties for that shortcut, in the Comment section, I have "-g Oblivion, --game=Oblivion".

That obviously doesn't work! Thanks in advance for helping me clear this up...

10 answers to this question

So I take it you aren't using WB as a tool from inside MO, but as a standalone mod manager?

If so, you aren't after the -g switch but the -o switch.

This is the commandline for calling WB to manage Oblivion on my system:

"C:\Games\Utils\Mopy\Wrye Bash.exe" -o "C:\\Games\\Oblivion\\"

Take special note of the doubled backslashes.

If you already have WB installed you can read all of this in the supplied documents which are very thorough and recommended reading.

Yes, as I stated in my first message. I'm working with a clean install of Windows and all my files. WB works perfectly with only Oblivion installed. I then installed Skyrim, and WB still has no trouble detecting my game installations, but since I installed Skyrim, I have had to click on the right game each time I start WB up. See the picture below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48789179/bandicam%202015-09-10%2022-52-00-003.jpg

I have read the documents and tried my system's equivalent of the command line you wrote above, but I'm getting nowhere with this. I had a -g command line set up for my system in a previous install and remember it being a very slight twist on what's in the documentation... :confused:

Sorry about missing the point about not using MO.

I'm at a loss as to why it isn't working for you.

When you run WB, without the "-o" switch you get presented with the game selection dialogue, does everything work correctly if you select the appropriate game?

All that the "-o" switch is doing is automatically choosing the game in the same manner as when you click the button for that game, so if it works with the dialogue selection it should also work with the switch.

Assuming you have Skyrim installed in the default location this is what should be in the commandline:

"C:\Games\Utils\Mopy\Wrye Bash.exe" -o "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\SteamApps\\common\\skyrim\\"

I appreciate your help. Yes, WB is installed in:

D:\Game Managers\Oblivion\Wrye Bash\Mopy\Wrye Bash.exe

Oblivion (I happily use MO for Skyrim but have had problems using MO for Oblivion, hence all this fuss) is installed in:

D:\Game Files\steamapps\common\Oblivion

So, I made a shortcut of WB and put the following into the Comments section of my shortcut's Properties:

"D:\Game Managers\Oblivion\Wrye Bash\Mopy\Wrye Bash.exe" -o "D:\\Game Files\\steamapps\\common\\Oblivion\\"

Picture

It doesn't seem to notice anything is there, no matter what I put in there.

I hate to bother Gopher about something like this, but I originally got it working via a one-off comment he made in a video about Wrye Bash that he has since taken down. Rawr.

Obvious question, but not been asked yet, Oblivion does run without issue when you call the Oblivion executable from that location?

By that I mean it isn't a new install that is lacking in the correct INIs or registry entries yet?

You didn't explicitly answer the question about whether WB runs with Oblivion as the game when you select it from the selector dialogue. Does it?

If it does, then you may need to ask the current development team in the Bethsoft forum as I'm clueless as to why it wouldn't run using the switch.

Obvious question, but not been asked yet, Oblivion does run without issue when you call the Oblivion executable from that location?

By that I mean it isn't a new install that is lacking in the correct INIs or registry entries yet?

You didn't explicitly answer the question about whether WB runs with Oblivion as the game when you select it from the selector dialogue. Does it?

If it does, then you may need to ask the current development team in the Bethsoft forum as I'm clueless as to why it wouldn't run using the switch.

Yes, Oblivion runs perfectly, and WB manages it with no issues. The only problem is I get that little dialogue box when Skyrim is installed on my system, which is not a huge deal. When I uninstall Skyrim, the dialogue box asking me to choose which game to manage does not appear, which indicates that WB is detecting my games accurately.

May ask over at the Bethsoft forum. Thanks for your help!