fINIp 3 (Fallout INI Project 3) by DoubleYou

DoubleYou

Mod Source:
fINIp 3 (Fallout INI Project 3) by DoubleYou

fINIp 3

fINIp 3 (Fallout INI Project 3) is an attempt to restore decency to the Fallout 3 INI configuration files. Sadly, Bethesda screwed up its INIs. You would think that their INI creation method via the Fallout Launcher would be completely error free, as how could they mess up what essentially is a simple text file? but it isn't. They are chock full of uh-ah-choo! sneeze-worthy lines.

Enter fINIp 3. We spinned the files that Fallout 3 uses to create your presets, twirled them into a sensible order, and whirled away most of the errors. This removes a large portion of the obsolete and redundant lines that the Fallout Launcher erroneously applies to the INI files.

Installation:

1. Download the main file.
  2. Run the installer.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions.
  4. Read any warnings carefully!
  5. Once the installer has completed, the Fallout Launcher will automatically run to generate your new INI files.
  6. If using Mod Organizer, copy the generated Fallout.ini and FalloutPrefs.ini files to your \profiles\ directory.

Once this is done, please add any and all desired tweaks, as these are NOT tweaked outside of default tweaks. This mod cleans up the INI creation process. It doesn't add tweaks. Archive Invalidation will need to be redone.

Uninstallation:

1. Replace your Fallout.ini and FalloutPrefs.ini files with the backups you should have made according to the warnings in installation and go to step 3. If you neglected to heed my warnings, verify integrity of game cache and go to step 2.
  2. Run the Fallout Launcher and select your preset.
  3. If using Mod Organizer, copy the new Fallout.ini and FalloutPrefs.ini from your Documents\My Games\Fallout3 directory to your \profiles\ directory.
  4. Eat salt and vinegar chips.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for taking the time to do this, DoubleYou. Starting out with a clean set of INI files before tweaking is a great idea.

Any chance you could list more technical information on the Nexus page - or here - about what has been removed and why?

Seconding the notion of a tweaked version w the STEP recommended values for those uncomfortable with the process, but happy kludging together a STEP/tweakguide set of files myself.

Cheers.

- E

edited after closer look at description *grabs bag of salt and vinegar chips

Edited by eduardo4

• 5 months later...

I may have encountered a bug…

The newly created Fallout.ini looks in a certain section like this:

[backgroundLoad]
fAlphaAddInterior=0.7
fBlurRadius=7
fBrightClamp=0.225
fBrightScale=2.25
fEyeAdaptSpeed=0.5
fGrassDimmer=1.5
fSunlightDimmer=1.5
fTargetLUM=1
fTreeDimmer=1
iNumBlurpasses=1

[Controls]

These aren't the entries for [backgroundLoad], those are missing.

The first one, fAlphaAddInterior, belongs to [blurShader], and the following ones to [blurShaderHDR], whose section titles are also missing.

Or is this on my system only?

Good catch. You are correct. To fix, simply remove the [backgroundload] section and paste the following in its place. I will try to upload a hotfix later this week.

[BlurShader]
fAlphaAddInterior=0.7

[BlurShaderHDR]
fBlurRadius=7
fBrightClamp=0.225
fBrightScale=2.25
fEyeAdaptSpeed=0.5
fGrassDimmer=1.5
fSunlightDimmer=1.5
fTargetLUM=1
fTreeDimmer=1
iNumBlurpasses=1

Uploaded Version 1.1

• Fixed some settings affecting the blur shader that were incorrectly placed. Thanks compleCCity!
  • The installer no longer appends "Fallout 3" to the end of the selected directory when browsing to the correct install folder.
  • When the installer fails to find the Fallout 3 directory from the registry, it now correctly defaults to Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 3.

• 4 months later...